E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Air filter

11-19-2008, 09:15 AM   #1
jewishcubbiesfan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 Montego Blue E90

Air filter

I am new to the boards, and have tried doing a search but no luck.
We leased our car in March of 2007 and it currently has 12,950 miles on it. I am wondering when I should replace the air filter? Also, where exactly is the air filter located? I thought I found it the other day, but from reading on the boards, it was the microfilter that filters the inside air? It had 4 Hex bolts on there, and for the life of me, could not get the bottom one undone.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2008, 09:23 AM   #2
SoCalTech
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Not a BMW yet...

Intake silencer (air filter) should be done when the car tells you to, and it's covered under your maintenance warranty.
Open your hood. See the tubing leading from ahead of the radiator to the black box? That black box houses your air filter. You have to remove that box, then remove all the screws from the box. Then you can change the air filter.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2008, 09:27 AM   #3
jewishcubbiesfan
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalTech View Post
Intake silencer (air filter) should be done when the car tells you to, and it's covered under your maintenance warranty.
Open your hood. See the tubing leading from ahead of the radiator to the black box? That black box houses your air filter. You have to remove that box, then remove all the screws from the box. Then you can change the air filter.
So I guess I was looking at the air filter and not some microfilter for the air inside? Thanks for the info. I don't drive the car much as I have a company car, but I like to check things out every once in awhile to make sure everything is ok. Maint service indicator says it needs service in 01/09. So hopefully they will replace it then. I have never gone almost 2yrs without replacing the air filter no matter what the mileage is.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2008, 09:39 AM   #4
1clean335i
Perf BMW mag issue 147, 159
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: Project Estoril

Garage List
Theres a black plastic box looking thing under your hood that has bmw engraved in it. Just pop off the tabs on it and your air filter will be revealed... I dont know if i'd replace it that early, but I would atleast remove it and clean it out if needed. It's not a bad idea to check up on it here and there.

edit- n/m.. just saw you have a 328i. the airbox on that car is right by the drivers headlight.
      11-19-2008, 12:17 PM   #5
ENINTY
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Sport

The owner's service manual calls for air filter replacements at every third oil change. That is BMW oil service intervals of 15 - 18K, so the airfilter should be replaced at about 55K miles. If you are not mechanically inclined be careful; it's not the easiest air filter to replace. You have to pull the whole airbox to get to it. Look in the maintenance forum, there is a DYI on it. The dealer will replace it if you get to the third oil change under the maintenance plan. It think the filter is $21.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2008, 01:27 PM   #6
jewishcubbiesfan
Private First Class
Rep

I am mechanically inclined for the most part, just unfamiliar with the layout of a BMW as this is our first. I will scour the DIY forum and see what I could find. Thanks for the info, very helpful.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2008, 12:31 PM   #7
ENINTY
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Sport

The thing to be careful about is removing the MAF. You have to disconnect the mass airflow sensor (MAF), disconnect the front intake duct, undo a 10MM bolt (or two), and pull the air box out. Then take the 8 or so bolts out that hold the box together, pull the filter, and reassemble. Make sure you reconnect the MAF before you start the engine, or it will throw a code.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2008, 12:49 PM   #8
darkphantom
Banned
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewishcubbiesfan View Post
I am mechanically inclined for the most part, just unfamiliar with the layout of a BMW as this is our first. I will scour the DIY forum and see what I could find. Thanks for the info, very helpful.
it's good to know about your car, incase of an emergency. Look for pics of the engine bay in the NA section of the forum, you'll find what you're looking for =)
Appreciate 0