E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > returning a leased BMW and picking up new one... how tought are they on inspection?

11-18-2008, 09:51 PM   #1
KEVIN88GT
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Audi A4

returning a leased BMW and picking up new one... how tought are they on inspection?

The reason I ask is... when I returned my audi.. they killed me on the inspection... got me on every little damn scratch... got me for a bubble in the tire... for SLIGHTLY curbed rims... came out to over 700 bucks..

This time the Beemer has a few curbed wheels... etc etc....

Does anyone know if I lease another BMW when this lease is up... will I be able to turn this one over at the dealership where I'll lease the new one with less issues and dodge this INSPECTION?

Has anyone had experience with this before? Like say If I pick up the new car and have a month left on my current lease... how would it work as far as the minor cosmetic wear.
'07 335xi
'06 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2008, 10:04 PM   #2
noro
Colonel
Armenia
Rep
Drives: '91 M3, '04 E46 ZHP, '72 2002

I am leasing my 3rd one now. The usually take a quick walk around the car, check the tire thread with a finger in case it's REALLY below the spec and check the mileage... that's all. Very easy.
      11-18-2008, 10:05 PM   #3
shocka1212
Philanthropist
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEVIN88GT View Post
The reason I ask is... when I returned my audi.. they killed me on the inspection... got me on every little damn scratch... got me for a bubble in the tire... for SLIGHTLY curbed rims... came out to over 700 bucks..

This time the Beemer has a few curbed wheels... etc etc....

Does anyone know if I lease another BMW when this lease is up... will I be able to turn this one over at the dealership where I'll lease the new one with less issues and dodge this INSPECTION?

Has anyone had experience with this before? Like say If I pick up the new car and have a month left on my current lease... how would it work as far as the minor cosmetic wear.
nothing major. no cracks in the windshield and no scratches bigger than the size of a credit card. depending on the dealer, they will vary on the tire tread. i didnt have any trouble. the only thing was a crack in my windshield that i had to have fixed and mileage.

The 2011 3-Series coupe offering the infamous "Harmon Kardon Badging"
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2008, 10:06 PM   #4
chrisE92
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue E92

you won't be able to dodge the inspection, but they'll probably be more lenient if you're leasing another from them
      11-18-2008, 10:06 PM   #5
KEVIN88GT
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Audi A4

are you talking abut when you handed yours in at a dealership or an inspection from BMW?

tires will be almost new... i took the runflats off early on... how about the scratches on the bumper and the curbed wheels...
'07 335xi
'06 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2008, 10:15 PM   #6
shocka1212
Philanthropist
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEVIN88GT View Post
are you talking abut when you handed yours in at a dealership or an inspection from BMW?

tires will be almost new... i took the runflats off early on... how about the scratches on the bumper and the curbed wheels...
what dealer you turning it into? you can pm me if your not comfortable writing it on this forum.

The 2011 3-Series coupe offering the infamous "Harmon Kardon Badging"
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2008, 10:29 PM   #7
PaulBailey@ltbmw
General
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2-325 330 2-335 2-Z4 2-135 X5d

Garage List
I think it all depends on the dealer but that's what the pre inspection is for.
It gives you an idea of what they'll charge you.
When turned my car in i walked it with this girl around my age and small.talked with her the entire time. . . She didn't mark my down for anything other than over milage
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2008, 02:44 AM   #8
penny31
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 m4 - Austin Yellow

tell them that if they charge you, you wont get your next bmw from them. that always works . a buddie of mine always returns his leases at nights so its hard to catch the dents. thats another trick.

also, if you have gap insurance, it should cover up to a specific amount of damages no?

Appreciate 0
      11-19-2008, 02:59 AM   #9
JunkStory
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, 8V RS3

Quote:
Originally Posted by xPaulBaiLeyx View Post
I think it all depends on the dealer but that's what the pre inspection is for.
It gives you an idea of what they'll charge you.
When turned my car in i walked it with this girl around my age and small.talked with her the entire time. . . She didn't mark my down for anything other than over milage
+1, it depends on dealer, and on your luck.

My experience with my Infiniti dealer is that they're extremely nice, and don't really care. They said if it's just small dents, scratches, they can fix them up easily because they have people dedicated to fixing that. Your Audi inspector was stealing your money.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2008, 08:38 AM   #10
noro
Colonel
Armenia
Rep
Drives: '91 M3, '04 E46 ZHP, '72 2002

Audi's don't generally lease well, mostly due to the fact that they are pieces of crap cars, they look great but that's all I can say about them (The R8 is the only car I would consider). So to Audio it is probably very important to make sure the customer pays for every possible problem at the end just to maximize the money they didn't really earn during the lease.
      11-19-2008, 09:09 AM   #11
jewishcubbiesfan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 Montego Blue E90

this is our first leased car. I asked the dealer where we bought it what exactly they look for. They said as long as the tires had 25%, and there were no "major" dents or scratches we will be fine. We opted for the tire protection warranty and have used it twice already. I think the dealer would be leniant if you are going to lease another one from them as well.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2008, 10:53 AM   #12
Kuma
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

They will get you for curb rash on the rims. I had to pay $350 for a 17" Sport Rim when I turned in my 325i lease 5 months ago.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2008, 11:58 AM   #13
DrGP
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Sapphire 335i coupe

QUOTE=chrisE92;3668531]you won't be able to dodge the inspection, but they'll probably be more lenient if you're leasing another from them[/QUOTE]

Appreciate 0
      11-19-2008, 12:02 PM   #14
DrGP
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Sapphire 335i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny31 View Post
tell them that if they charge you, you wont get your next bmw from them. that always works . a Buddie of mine always returns his leases at nights so its hard to catch the dents. that's another trick.

also, if you have gap insurance, it should cover up to a specific amount of damages no?
Gap insurance has nothing to do with repairs. GAP insurance pays the difference between what you owe on a lease or finance and what the insurance co gives you in a total loss situation. Early in a lease, you may owe more than the current value of the car.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2008, 12:25 PM   #15
2planker
Private
Rep
Drives: 335XI

My personal experience was easy as hell. I had some significant curb rash on two wheels and a small dent in the lower front bumper abou half the size of a fist. The rest of the car was immaculate and spotless though at the time of the inspection. The independant company who bmw sent to do the inspection at my location was very thorough, took pictures of everything, checked the tread depth and looked over the car. He commented though a couple of times how clean the car was. He didn't ding me for a single thing. When I dropped the car off at the dealer the next week to pick up my new car which I bought this time. ( can't beat .9% financing) They didn't even look at it. My CA even helped me unload some things from my old 330 into the 335 but that was it. My opinion is to have the car as clean as possible, why make it look like your trying to hide something..

My two cents.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2008, 12:41 PM   #16
SteveMondragon
Seaman
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 | I01 | G30

I recently turned in my old Audi and the company they use are very anal. Not to mention the lease-return guidelines on Audi's website is a lot more strict than BMW or Mercedes (both of which I've also leased and returned in the past).
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2008, 01:21 PM   #17
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
oh mine, he walked around. Checked the tires. Checked if there are any dents. No Crack windshield. OPen the engine hood; no aftermarket mods. Springs are stocks. On the way I went.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2008, 02:39 PM   #18
Tschuss
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i Coupe

Alloy wheel repair.

Curb trashed wheels. My daughter once drove my car and upon her return she confessed to an ugly front rim curb scrapping. I called my SA at the dealer, he gave the name of a roving wheel repair guy. I ended up connected with him one day at the Audi dealer. $100 and 40 mins later, the wheel looks brand new. A lot cheaper than buying a new rim.

This guy had a very trick set up. He drove a pickup truck and pulled a trailer. In the trailer was in effect a workshop. He removed the wheel, deflated the tire, broke the bead, ground the impacted area smooth while blending into to rest of the rim, spray painted silver and clear coated et voila.

I didn't watch all the work being done, but it is unbelievably difficult to find the damage on the repaired rim. Very worth the money.

Check into it.

-Bill
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2008, 02:54 PM   #19
xraymd
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 M2, 22 Lincoln Navigator

When I turned in my 540, they knew I was going to another dealer for a Mercedes. I had lost the plastic wallet key, and there was a nice door ding on the passenger side. They took the car without any questions or charges (I was really sweating the wallet key). Of course after the MB lease was up, guess where I went?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2008, 04:56 PM   #20
shakan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335

All I have on mine is a a couple of scratches on the front bumper, each less than 1 inch, a few surface scratches on either side but very minor, can be buffed easily, some curb rash under the front bumper from hitting a nasty hole and small dings from the seat belt on the aluminium trim inside. What do you guys think, how much of a charge will I be looking for? Most nervous about the aluminium trim and the curb rash to the bottom of the front bumper, the rest seems to be non-issues according to the wear and tear guidelines that came in my package.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2008, 08:11 AM   #21
Briar
Rep
Drives: 335i, 996

Quote:
Originally Posted by noro View Post
I am leasing my 3rd one now. The usually take a quick walk around the car, check the tire thread with a finger in case it's REALLY below the spec and check the mileage... that's all. Very easy.
Same as my experience - been very easy, and I made sure car was clean
Appreciate 0