home
Technical Sections Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

10-30-2021, 02:05 AM   #1
mstin15
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3Comp

Any actual lap time data on suspension?

Good morning everyone,

I called a few manufacturers of springs and KW, but so far nobody has any data on specific improvements in lap time and weight savings (that they were willing to share with me at least).

I have a personal mantra I've used on my Porsche's for years that if it doesn't make it faster or lighter it does not go on (it's just my fun way of doing my builds, and I'm not focused on something just for looks right now). I have not built an M3 yet and am pretty excited to dig in.

Has anyone done any variable eliminated testing after installing "upgraded" suspension components to determine if they have any real performance gains? Have you weighed any of the parts vs OEM?

Before we go down the "only a pro would notice" path or "seat time is all that matters", you're right, but this is how I like to build my vehicles regardless. Thanks everyone.
Appreciate 1
jetbill198.00
      11-01-2021, 12:48 AM   #2
Salespunk
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Slow

Doubt you will see much hard data here. I know some of the fast track guys on the CTR boards could not get the car faster on aftermarket suspension without multiple mods stacked up. Had to go coilovers, sways, bushings, etc before they saw an improvement. You will likely see something similar here.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2021, 07:39 AM   #3
barryc365
Major
Rep
Drives: BMWM3

I put on the MSS HAS kit and it's considerably lighter but can't imagine it would produce any real lap
Time gains.

I have experience taking an E36 M3 from road car to all track car and it's hard to pin down anyone mod making massive gains but in combination you do see the gains.

Lowering the car without changing parts to adjust the roll Center can actually make the car handle worse, bump steer etc. It's very scientific and expensive to do suspension correctly. See explained on Roll Center here https://www.racecar-engineering.com/...d-roll-centre/

I would say anecdotally, some of the biggest gains come from track tires and weight reduction obviously. I think even if you put some 4 way adjustable coil overs on the car, while they will be great, they will be somewhat capped by the road tires. I think cup tires or something similar for the track would produce a more obvious gain in the dry. This car is set up so well from factory it's hard to see bolt on suspension mods making the car much faster without corner weighting a tweaking of the compression and rebound settings by a professional
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2021, 02:10 PM   #4
McLaren720s
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Competition X

You're not going to see any measurable improvement in track performance with just springs and Coilovers. They might help by lowering the center of gravity and making the car feel a bit more planted but I doubt it will be anything measurable or that any manufacturer will take the time to actually "scientifically" test the differences.
      11-01-2021, 04:04 PM   #5
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [5.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [6.20]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstin15 View Post
Good morning everyone,

I called a few manufacturers of springs and KW, but so far nobody has any data on specific improvements in lap time and weight savings (that they were willing to share with me at least).

I have a personal mantra I've used on my Porsche's for years that if it doesn't make it faster or lighter it does not go on (it's just my fun way of doing my builds, and I'm not focused on something just for looks right now). I have not built an M3 yet and am pretty excited to dig in.

Has anyone done any variable eliminated testing after installing "upgraded" suspension components to determine if they have any real performance gains? Have you weighed any of the parts vs OEM?

Before we go down the "only a pro would notice" path or "seat time is all that matters", you're right, but this is how I like to build my vehicles regardless. Thanks everyone.
Only track-specific kit on the market at the moment is the KW V4. With delays and long leadtimes in manufacturing (in all industries), there simply hasn't been enough time to gather any real data. IMHO - I'd be skeptical if there were already serious track kits to choose from, when people are still waiting for allocations/deliveries.

The real areas of improvement will be in available spring rates vs dampening (2/3/4-way), which equates to better stability and grip. SPL has other components (end links, tension rods, etc) since the G8X shares a lot of the F8x parts. OEM is using aluminum wherever it can, I would find it hard to find any negligible weight savings over aftermarket.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2021, 09:57 PM   #6
beachBmmr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 F90 M5 SG/AB

The first suspension mod needed is camber plates. I am destroying the outer shoulders of my cup2s on track with the stock front camber. Problem is the barrel spring up front limits the negative camber possible to -2.5 degrees even with plates, so you need to go to a linear spring that will allow up to -3.5 degrees.

I personally am not going for lowering for aesthetics, so I am searching to see what spring options there are to achieve my goal.

After that, converting to all mono balls and bearings for longevity and sensitivity.