E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > My Ongoing Service Nightmare

11-17-2008, 07:38 PM   #1
airwolf878
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i

My Ongoing Service Nightmare

I am making this post to hopefully get some feedback from everyone on how to handle this situation. My car is a 2006 330xi that I got new in October 2006. Since January 19, 2008 my car has been having some big issues pretty frequently. It has been at the dealer a total of 5 times for repairs, not counting 2 other times to fix a couple other minor problems.

So you all have some perspective on what exactly has been going on, I think it would be pertinent to list the details of the problems (summarized from service history records):

January 19-25, 2008
Array of warning lights, X-Drive failure, stability control error, brake warning, engine limp mode. Intake showing faults for vacuum leak. Replaced gaskets and reassembled intake. Still showing vacuum faults and now getting mass air flow faults. Found moisture build up in the intake system. Replaced mass air flow sensor, replaced intake assembly, replaced DISA valve.

February 21-25, 2008
Array of warning lights, ABS error, X-Drive failure, engine limp mode. Found moisture build-up on the throttle. Removed throttle and cleaned, replaced throttle and cleared faults.

May 13-14, 2008
Service engine soon light is on. Bad mass air sensor, replaced mass air sensor.

October 13-15, 2008
Service engine soon light is on. Performed adaptation procedure for throttle motor. Also found bad bearing on electric aux. fan assembly, replaced fan assembly.

November 16-?, 2008
Service engine soon light is on, engine limp mode. Throttle body is bad, ordered replacement.

So far I have taken my concerns to the dealership’s service manager, and I have called BMWNA twice. Each time I’ve spoken with BMWNA they have deferred to the dealership’s opinion that the repairs have all been unrelated and do not indicate ongoing issues.

At this point I am extremely frustrated with the fact that my car has been in the shop so many times. I bought a BMW to drive, not to have it in the shop for repairs every month. It seems that nobody at the dealership thinks my concerns are valid. Right now I want to be done with this car, and get something I can feel isn’t going to leave me stranded.

How many more times do I need to have the car towed in before someone at BMW will take responsibility and work with me on a real solution to this?

If this were your car, what would you do?
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2008, 07:47 PM   #2
McLuVan
Lieutenant General
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: ///M3

I'd cry.
      11-17-2008, 08:00 PM   #3
azntripledragon
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

beat it with a hammer to make it work
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2008, 08:15 PM   #4
smallseafishie
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 07 e92 335i + AW 11 X5 35d

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Your car must have a dead German or South African hate-haunting on it.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2008, 08:21 PM   #5
bsamoul
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Since you had your car for about 15 months before the problems started, it is certainly not considered a lemon anymore, nor have you had the same 3 problems. Since two of them were throttle body related, it seems that replacing that could solve the problems, but as for having moisture in the intake do you live in a high humidity area? Do you run the A/C? But I think that a lot of your problems are electrical, and could be causing the hardware to fail prematurely...
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2008, 08:24 PM   #6
bcoz
spectator
Australia
Rep
Drives: 330d Sedan

Put your complaint in WRITING to BMWNA. Hopefully it will put pressure on your dealer to make the necessary resources available to properly diagnose the root cause of the problem(s) and fix them.

Ask them obvious questions like....
- how they intend to fix the problem(s) once and for all?
- how long are the repairs expected to take?
- is there any lasting impact of the problem on the safety of the car?
- is there any lasting impact on the performance of the car?
- etc

Advise them that you are willing to give them the car for as long as it takes, and that you don't want it back until it is fixed. Obviously they will need to provide you with a loan car while they diagnose/fix yours.

Good Luck!
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2008, 08:43 PM   #7
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

OP, I'm totally guessing but I think moisture got into the intake and messed up the electronics in and around the intake manifold (which caused air flow sensor and throttle body failure). 2 air flow sensors in the space of a few months is more likely to be a recurring issue than a part defect, and my best guess is that it is electrical (the worse kind of problem!)

If I were in your shoes and the car is a 'keeper' i would definitely take steps to protect myself, such as getting as much warranty as possible, and asking for special extended warranty on the parts that have failed in and around the intake manifold. Definitely do everything in writing, be polite, and cross your fingers it all works out....

Also, if you are on the fence about another bmw maybe you can convince your dealer to give you good trade in so you can take advantage of cheap financing

Lastly, it seems like the dealer is working with you by calling BMWNA on your behalf and I would definitely try to make sure that you preserve that relationship with your dealer. It could go a long way later on when you need to ask for warranty goodwill work.

best of luck,
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2008, 08:36 AM   #8
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
Gosh reading all these problems about the E9x models are having, makes me appreciate the E46 chassis. So far, no problem what so ever on my E46 330 zhp.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2008, 09:17 AM   #9
airwolf878
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsamoul View Post
Since you had your car for about 15 months before the problems started, it is certainly not considered a lemon anymore, nor have you had the same 3 problems. Since two of them were throttle body related, it seems that replacing that could solve the problems, but as for having moisture in the intake do you live in a high humidity area? Do you run the A/C? But I think that a lot of your problems are electrical, and could be causing the hardware to fail prematurely...
I live in MN where it does get humid during the summer, but the dealer seems to think the original problem was caused by cold weather condensation in the intake that was either not properly drained or evaporated. During the very first incident, they replaced every component of the intake system including all the electrical parts. According to the dealer, they haven't seen this happen on any other cars that have come through their shop, so it's obviously not a common issue. That leads me to believe there is something else going on that makes these weird problems keep coming back.

As far as getting rid of the car, I would love to trade it in for something else, but I am stuck in a lease through next fall. Maybe I can convince BMW to help me out of the lease and into a 335?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2008, 03:34 PM   #10
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 comp

man,that sucks!
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2008, 03:34 PM   #11
E90330iS
Major General
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
sucks
      11-18-2008, 03:59 PM   #12
StoneCold
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 2008 328i Coupe, Pro 02/08

Damm....that sucks....dump it and get a better one. GL
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2008, 04:52 PM   #13
eric_r
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70d LCI, F56 JCW

They should, at very least, allow you to prematurely end your lease. That car is a lemon, I don't care what anybody says. Anything that breaks down that often is not being held at BMW standards. I have a nearly 13 year old M3 that has never had issues -- and E36s were not known at the time for their reliability. Have the quality of BMWs really sunk this low?
      11-19-2008, 01:32 PM   #14
airwolf878
First Lieutenant
Rep

Well I just got my car back from the dealer. They replaced the entire throttle assembly, which they say they've been wanting to do since the beginning but that BMWNA would not allow them to. That seems pretty strange to me, given all the issues with it.

My SA told me he thinks this will take care of the problems for good. But they tell me that every time...
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2008, 08:09 AM   #15
Briar
Rep
Drives: 335i, 996

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Nazareno View Post
OP, I'm totally guessing but I think moisture got into the intake and messed up the electronics in and around the intake manifold (which caused air flow sensor and throttle body failure). 2 air flow sensors in the space of a few months is more likely to be a recurring issue than a part defect, and my best guess is that it is electrical (the worse kind of problem!)

If I were in your shoes and the car is a 'keeper' i would definitely take steps to protect myself, such as getting as much warranty as possible, and asking for special extended warranty on the parts that have failed in and around the intake manifold. Definitely do everything in writing, be polite, and cross your fingers it all works out....

Also, if you are on the fence about another bmw maybe you can convince your dealer to give you good trade in so you can take advantage of cheap financing

Lastly, it seems like the dealer is working with you by calling BMWNA on your behalf and I would definitely try to make sure that you preserve that relationship with your dealer. It could go a long way later on when you need to ask for warranty goodwill work.

best of luck,
+1 and be respectful
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2008, 09:06 PM   #16
MikeD8891
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330xi

OP, I bought a certified 06 330xi back in 08/07 (my first BMW) that had 15k miles on it. Within 10-12k miles, I had an issue at the end of a 5 hour road trip that required replacing the alternator at a dealership out of state (thanks to the guys at Erhard BMW of Bloomfield Hills, MI for that one), with the exact same warning lights (xDrive, DSC, DTC, Brake warning). Problem was repeated high and low voltage warnings from the alternator.

6 months and 8-10k miles later, another electrical issue: Brake warning, xDrive, DSC, DTC, Limp mode, and the grand master "vehicle electronics failed" light show (looked like an xmas tree in my instrument cluster). The funny thing is that the trigger for this last issue? I turned on my high-beams. Can't even trust touching a button on the steering column without wondering if the car will shut off. Taking it to the dealer tomorrow.

The one thing I will say that is the most concerning to me is that these cars are built around some of the most complex computerized control systems used in today's passenger cars. One problem (alternator), followed by another just makes my stomach sink because I know this is the beginning of the end for this car. Until they rip out and replace the entire electrical system in this car I will not be satisfied. It's a shame too since I absolutely love driving it. I have to admire a vehicle that takes a beating and keeps asking for more every day. However, having these kind of problems, in addition to all the other ones that aren't electrical (suspension issues, air-bag failure, seat heater failure) makes me wonder whether I should just dump it with 26k miles and move to a different manufacturer...

I think you and I are SOL on this one...
Appreciate 0