E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Review of BMW Universal Dog Cover (E92)

11-13-2008, 01:18 PM   #1
timn
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Review of BMW Universal Dog Cover (E92)

I got a dog, so I ordered the universal dog cover for my E92. The E92 uses a different part # than the E90 version, so be careful which one you are ordering. The part # for the E92 is 52300416248. It is $236 from Tischer, and well worth the money.

Included Items
  • Rear Seat Cover
  • 2 back covers for the front seats
  • A travel bag to carry the pieces in

Also of note is that the seat belts can be used, and there is a zipper that allows the rear seats (1 or both) to be folded down.

Installation
Installation is pretty easy. There are tabs that go into the nooks and crannies of various places to keep the cover on the seat.

Pictures

I didn't get a clear shot of the side panel of the rear, but it covers it pretty well.

Things I wished the cover did
  1. Most dog covers are hammocks, which also stops Dog from jumping to the front of the car. The BMW cover gives clear view to the dash, and so Dog could jump to the front seat if he really wanted to.
  2. Dog fell into the foot well a couple times because I broke hard.
  3. The vents are covered, too. It would be nice to have the vents exposed to cool off Dog.

Last edited by timn; 11-13-2008 at 01:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2008, 01:22 PM   #2
noro
Colonel
Armenia
Rep
Drives: '91 M3, '04 E46 ZHP, '72 2002

So I got a dog too not that long ago. I have been taking her for rides pretty consistently and she seems to be very calm in the car. She sits nicely in the back seat. Do I still need a cover? I mean she doesn't pee or shit in the car and doesn't seem to care to scratch the leather.
      11-13-2008, 01:24 PM   #3
Inzane
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI 335i

So this item covers one concern, protecting your seats.

Now as to protecting the dog, and address your #1 and #2, get a seatbelt harness. I have one for my dog. It's similar to a walking harness but beefier and designed to be used with your car's normal seatbelt. You run the seatbelt through a loop in the harness. This type of harness won't protect your dog from injury in an accident, but will provent him/her from becoming a projectile, will keep him in his seat where you want him in normal circumstances, and will prevent him from falling on the floor during braking.

It will probably piss your dog off the first few times you use it, but he/she will eventually get used to it.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2008, 01:26 PM   #4
timn
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

My dog has nails that will scratch my leather......so that's why I have it. My dog is pretty calm in the car and sleeps most of hte time, but when he stands up, he's gonna leave a mark on an uncovered leather seat.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2008, 01:35 PM   #5
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
First one I've seen for the E92, and interesting to see the differnces. I have one for the E90/E91 - and since we have both, it's nice to be able to move it from one car to the other as neccesary.

I agree that it is worth the money. If you have a large dog especially. Our German Shepherd rode 1300 miles with us in the back and he was quite cumfy.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2008, 01:37 PM   #6
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inzane View Post
So this item covers one concern, protecting your seats.

Now as to protecting the dog, and address your #1 and #2, get a seatbelt harness. I have one for my dog. It's similar to a walking harness but beefier and designed to be used with your car's normal seatbelt. You run the seatbelt through a loop in the harness. This type of harness won't protect your dog from injury in an accident, but will provent him/her from becoming a projectile, will keep him in his seat where you want him in normal circumstances, and will prevent him from falling on the floor during braking.

It will probably piss your dog off the first few times you use it, but he/she will eventually get used to it.

I purchased this too, from BMW - and have yet to be able to get it to work... it comes off too easily, the buckle is way too heavy, and it's stupid the way the seat belt is supposed to fit through it. For the $$$$ I'm quite disappointed with it.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2008, 03:08 PM   #7
Inzane
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP View Post
I purchased this too, from BMW - and have yet to be able to get it to work... it comes off too easily, the buckle is way too heavy, and it's stupid the way the seat belt is supposed to fit through it. For the $$$$ I'm quite disappointed with it.
Try a pet-specialized shop then. There's no reason why the harness has to be BMW specific.

I'm not sure what brand ours is offhand but I can try to find out and post back in this thread later.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2008, 03:13 PM   #8
awei130
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46, E92, 987

that's actually a pretty nifty thing to have
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2008, 06:59 PM   #9
emarkd
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '08 335i

My boxer rides with me often, but I have a universal fit piece purchased from one of the big pet retailers - maybe drsfosterandsmith.com, but I've had it a while and don't remember. It was less than $100 and works just fine. It's a "hammock"-style that attaches by straps around the two front headrests and the outer two rear headrests. The shape prevents the dog hair (or the dog) from getting in the footwells and would keep her out of the front if she wanted to try and get up there. The bottom has a nice fleece padding that she loves to sit on.

The door protector pieces would be nice, but for the extra money I'm not sure it's worth it, unless your dog is likely to chew on the door handles Plus it works in any car I've tried to use it in.

Just my $0.02. Glad the OP found something that works for his needs.
Appreciate 0