E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Best touch up paint

07-05-2005, 10:23 AM   #1
fusionnv
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325i

Best touch up paint

I was using my PDC and I didn't know that red was a hit. DOH!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: But over all it not bad of a nick. Very tiny thank god, no crack or dent (2 mm). So since I got a non-metalic paint it should be easy for a intermediate level like myself to touch up paint it and then use Mothers Paint Chip Repair (to smooth it out). I found in the past this stuff works well on non-metallic cars and works very decent on metallic cars. The reason for that is that this stuff is kinda like a paint thinner/eraser and often the metal flakes float up when it dries it gets rubbed off. This will lead to a slight color difference from the body and the touch up paint. You would have to put multiple layers of extremely thin touch up paint. Non-metallics don't have this problem. (This is one of the pluses for myself to get one like that besides saving the extra bucks on paint) . So where would the best matches of paint and quality from for BMWs?

Having fun driving it.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2005, 10:42 AM   #2
fredtoo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325 328 350

Garage List
1986 328  [0.00]
2006 325  [0.00]
Does BMW sell touch up paint? This would be my first choice
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2005, 10:45 AM   #3
fusionnv
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredtoo
Does BMW sell touch up paint? This would be my first choice
Dealership paint usually comes in a bottle and brush which is really hard to use. I know the VW forums like the http://www.autosharppen.com/ pens because they use the same type of paint. On some acura/honda forums i seen them prefer other brands like the http://www.paintscratch.com/ .

Having fun driving it.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2005, 03:59 PM   #4
e90fanatic
Absolute0
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Has a Roundel

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionnv
Dealership paint usually comes in a bottle and brush which is really hard to use. I know the VW forums like the http://www.autosharppen.com/ pens because they use the same type of paint. On some acura/honda forums i seen them prefer other brands like the http://www.paintscratch.com/ .
You can get any touch up paint then use Langka, a paint polish, to smoothen the touch up so that it looks less intrusive.
      07-05-2005, 04:10 PM   #5
SCA
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Multiple BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90fanatic
You can get any touch up paint then use Langka, a paint polish, to smoothen the touch up so that it looks less intrusive.

I was never impressed with Langka when I used it on my Z3.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2005, 04:15 PM   #6
fusionnv
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCA
I was never impressed with Langka when I used it on my Z3.
I have the mothers version which is the same. I found from using on various cars that it works better on cars that are not metallic. Such as our red, jet black, and alpine white.

Having fun driving it.
Appreciate 0