08-14-2021, 08:23 PM   #1
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 DG/BLk xDrive M4C Wk 34

Garage List
G8X CCBs hows your dust?

Id like to hear from people who spec'd CCBs, on how the dusting is with the Carbon Ceramics?

Appreciate 0
      08-14-2021, 10:28 PM   #2
kbb
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 24' M3cs, 23' 911 GTS

Zero dust. Had CCB on my F80 and now on the G80. Wheels stay clean all the time except for road dirt and dust.
Appreciate 2
Limegrntaln13469.00
nathanm4683.00
      08-14-2021, 11:03 PM   #3
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbb View Post
Zero dust. Had CCB on my F80 and now on the G80. Wheels stay clean all the time except for road dirt and dust.
Any noise when they are cold? Toying with the idea of having them on my next BMW, likely a M3 next year.
PS: I don't track my cars
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13469.00
      08-14-2021, 11:12 PM   #4
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Good. I had heard they were like that, but on other brands. Wanted to hear from someone that actually had them on a G8X. I spec'd the, on my car, because Ive had about 8 cars with regular Brembos, and the brake dust is ridiculous, so it will be worth it to me.

Appreciate 0
      08-15-2021, 12:38 PM   #5
kbb
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 24' M3cs, 23' 911 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by themnmd View Post
Quote:
Any noise when they are cold? Toying with the idea of having them on my next BMW, likely a M3 next year.
No noise right now. Had slight noise on my F80 but used to it on most performance brakes.
Appreciate 1
themnmd1691.00
      08-15-2021, 07:10 PM   #6
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by themnmd View Post
A few stabs from 150, and they wont make any noise.

Appreciate 1
themnmd1691.00
      08-16-2021, 02:52 PM   #7
KevinGS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Past 2015 M4, Current 2013 M3

I had CCBs on a 2015 M4, and have them on my 2021 G82. Black 826 wheels.

Less dust with CCBs, but there's still dust (or dirt, whatever). I still feel compelled to clean the wheels every few days (even sooner if I drive like a maniac on one of my trips. But I know I'm anal.

The good news is that it's not enough dust that I actually need to do a full soap&water cleaning, I can just "wipe them off" with some spray wax on a soft microfiber cloth. It takes me about 15 minutes. I haven't had to do a full clean yet, because I haven't been caught in the rain yet.

And certainly if you do some elongated aggressive driving with a lot of hard stops, there's a decent amount of dust. But certainly way less than the steel brakes.

I've had a few squeaks after some all-morning aggressive driving, but that's to be expected. The squeaks went away later in the day with little fanfare.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2021, 05:52 PM   #8
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinGS View Post
I had CCBs on a 2015 M4, and have them on my 2021 G82. Black 826 wheels.

Less dust with CCBs, but there's still dust (or dirt, whatever). I still feel compelled to clean the wheels every few days (even sooner if I drive like a maniac on one of my trips. But I know I'm anal.

The good news is that it's not enough dust that I actually need to do a full soap&water cleaning, I can just "wipe them off" with some spray wax on a soft microfiber cloth. It takes me about 15 minutes. I haven't had to do a full clean yet, because I haven't been caught in the rain yet.

And certainly if you do some elongated aggressive driving with a lot of hard stops, there's a decent amount of dust. But certainly way less than the steel brakes.

I've had a few squeaks after some all-morning aggressive driving, but that's to be expected. The squeaks went away later in the day with little fanfare.
Definitely sounds like money well spent, even if youre not going to track the car. I usually try to use a pump sprayer, and mist the wheels off with some good wheel cleaner. Brake dust is super aggressive, and scratches the hell out of black wheels. I foam and rinse, no dry wiping.

Appreciate 0
      08-16-2021, 06:15 PM   #9
KevinGS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Past 2015 M4, Current 2013 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limegrntaln View Post
Definitely sounds like money well spent, even if youre not going to track the car. I usually try to use a pump sprayer, and mist the wheels off with some good wheel cleaner. Brake dust is super aggressive, and scratches the hell out of black wheels. I foam and rinse, no dry wiping.
For me, money well spent. But I wouldn't recommend this price tag for everyone. I drive like a grandma 70% of the time, just cruising along in the right lane. But that other 30% - back road driving, or nighttime highway driving, and the occasional track day (which are coming) - I drive the car HARD. And I'm still astonished at how thrilling this car can be to drive.

Can't wait until my first track day in 2022, when I can truly push this car to the limit. Until then, I have fun in some large, abandoned parking lots, playing around with the 10-stage traction control, which I know use a bit on the road, as it does a good job keeping my G82 on its proper path. Love this car, even though I routinely get out of it and think, "Damn, this is one BIG AZZ coupe!". Impressive engineering indeed.
Appreciate 1
nathanm4683.00
      08-16-2021, 06:52 PM   #10
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinGS View Post
For me, money well spent. But I wouldn't recommend this price tag for everyone. I drive like a grandma 70% of the time, just cruising along in the right lane. But that other 30% - back road driving, or nighttime highway driving, and the occasional track day (which are coming) - I drive the car HARD. And I'm still astonished at how thrilling this car can be to drive.

Can't wait until my first track day in 2022, when I can truly push this car to the limit. Until then, I have fun in some large, abandoned parking lots, playing around with the 10-stage traction control, which I know use a bit on the road, as it does a good job keeping my G82 on its proper path. Love this car, even though I routinely get out of it and think, "Damn, this is one BIG AZZ coupe!". Impressive engineering indeed.
Im one of those people that would spec them because of brake dust. Ive had probably 10 cars with Brembos, and my OCD just goes into overdrive when I see brown wheels. The wheels are near impssible to keep clean with those brakes. I cant even drive the car down to the corner store, and get a gallon of milk, without coming back and the dust has already started to color the wheels.

I dont "plan" on taking it to the track. For the life of me, I just cant see going through a set of $1,800 tires in one day. It would definitely be me, if Im going, Im going to run 30 passes, or Im not going. Then to not sure if youre going to make it home, because you didnt realize that running 30 passes would put you on cords.

Last edited by Limegrntaln; 08-16-2021 at 07:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2021, 08:18 PM   #11
MarineRaider
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M3

So I have CCBs on my Porsche and I get brake dust. My friend with a M5 has CCBs and gets brake dust. Sure, perhaps not as much as steel but the idea these emit zero dust is not accurate.

I put 3 coats of ceramic on my original wheels and they cleaned with a wipe, my new wheels take 4 minutes to wipe down.

So I am not convinced that that CCBs are any cleaner than a ceramic coat at the end of the day.
Appreciate 1
jeffrc3m3200.50
      08-16-2021, 09:26 PM   #12
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineRaider View Post
So I have CCBs on my Porsche and I get brake dust. My friend with a M5 has CCBs and gets brake dust. Sure, perhaps not as much as steel but the idea these emit zero dust is not accurate.

I put 3 coats of ceramic on my original wheels and they cleaned with a wipe, my new wheels take 4 minutes to wipe down.

So I am not convinced that that CCBs are any cleaner than a ceramic coat at the end of the day.
I have 3 cars with Ceramic coated wheels, right now. None have CCBs and 2 sets are black wheel with Brembos, and there isnt much of a difference between being ceramic and having Brembos, either. All 3 get dusty. Im just looking for something that doesnt dust in the first 5 miles of driving the car.

Appreciate 0
      08-16-2021, 09:32 PM   #13
MarineRaider
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limegrntaln View Post
I have 3 cars with Ceramic coated wheels, right now. None have CCBs and 2 sets are black wheel with Brembos, and there isnt much of a difference between being ceramic and having Brembos, either. All 3 get dusty. Im just looking for something that doesnt dust in the first 5 miles of driving the car.
Most of the European brakes went performance as opposed to the brake pads not dusting the wheels quickly. I will tell you, my GT3 dusted in 5 miles and thats on CCB's.
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13469.00
      08-16-2021, 09:35 PM   #14
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineRaider View Post
Most of the European brakes went performance as opposed to the brake pads not dusting the wheels quickly. I will tell you, my GT3 dusted in 5 miles and thats on CCB's.
Damn, Ill just have to see how it goes with my driving style. Either way, the brakes should last me as long as the car, without replacing anyting, except maybe pads.

Appreciate 0