F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Buying a car out of state. How to do the private sale.
ARMA SPEED

08-08-2021, 11:20 PM   #1
Dreier3
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Buying a car out of state. How to do the private sale.

Hi, I'm in PA and recently looked at a 340i in Illinois. I gave the seller a down payment and we signed and notarized a bill of sale. The seller did not habe the title yet because they just recently paid the car off. They will get the title this week and then I wil purchase the vehicle le in full and arrange shipping. Since I won't be there in person, what would be the best way to finalize the sale? I plan on sending the money by wire but don't know when I should send it in order to not run the risk of the seller just running off with it. Any ideas on how to best approach this? I was thinking about having them sign the title over to me and send it via FedEx before sending the wire. Is that reasonable? Any other ideas? Any tips appreciated. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2021, 12:51 AM   #2
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
You might want to look into escrow services. Or just fly to Illinois and pick up the car in person. Personally, that’s what I would do.
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

08-09-2021, 08:17 AM   #3
BimR
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 328

This can be totally legit or very shady. Is it a dealer or private party? Have you seen the car in person? Do you know if the video/pics they showed you are of that same car? What happens if the car delivered is missing a wheel (for ex)? What is your recourse? Are you signing a "as-is" deal?

There is so much information that would be needed for this to go well or totally blow up. Maybe you have all this taken care of and all will be well.
Appreciate 1
cfm56d7b5908.00
      08-09-2021, 08:35 AM   #4
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Is there an opportunity to do a pre purchase inspection?
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2021, 08:36 AM   #5
Dreier3
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimR View Post
This can be totally legit or very shady. Is it a dealer or private party? Have you seen the car in person? Do you know if the video/pics they showed you are of that same car? What happens if the car delivered is missing a wheel (for ex)? What is your recourse? Are you signing a "as-is" deal?

There is so much information that would be needed for this to go well or totally blow up. Maybe you have all this taken care of and all will be well.
I did see the car in person and drive it and the seller seems to be legit. It will be as is of course since it's private sale.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2021, 09:18 AM   #6
BimR
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreier3 View Post
Quote:

I did see the car in person and drive it and the seller seems to be legit. It will be as is of course since it's private sale.
My suggestion as also recommended above - do this in-person. An escrow service is the second best option. If you don't do this, what happens if the car arrives "different" than what you saw?

I'm NOT trying to scare you and maybe I am just paranoid. But when thousands of dollars are involved, spending $200 to get to IL is worth it to me.
Appreciate 2
Wgosma809.00
tex26702421.50
      08-09-2021, 11:39 AM   #7
Dreier3
Rep

Quote:
My suggestion as also recommended above - do this in-person. An escrow service is the second best option. If you don't do this, what happens if the car arrives "different" than what you saw?

I'm NOT trying to scare you and maybe I am just paranoid. But when thousands of dollars are involved, spending $200 to get to IL is worth it to me.
Do you know of any escrow options. I'm comfortable with the vehicle since the bill of sale has the VIN and the VIN matched the car I looked at and test drove. My concern is really only making sure that the person doesn't run off with my money. That's why I thought it would make sense to wait for the title to be sent via FedEx before wiring the funds.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2021, 11:59 AM   #8
BimR
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Do you know of any escrow options. I'm comfortable with the vehicle since the bill of sale has the VIN and the VIN matched the car I looked at and test drove. My concern is really only making sure that the person doesn't run off with my money. That's why I thought it would make sense to wait for the title to be sent via FedEx before wiring the funds.
I'm sorry I do not have any I can recommend personally. Hopefully someone else will chime in. Good luck!
Appreciate 1
DJSF3014142.00
      08-09-2021, 12:24 PM   #9
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Here’s one I got from Googling. There are multiple escrow options listed on Google.

https://www.escrow.com/
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

08-09-2021, 01:06 PM   #10
Psi5
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW F32 440i

+1 on the escrow approach. There are companies that do it and my local bank (not a national one) offers the service as well. Protects you and the seller.
2013 Mazda 3 6MT
2008 Honda Oddyssey
Appreciate 0