Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) Upgrade Hifi -> Harman/Kardon

07-28-2021, 03:32 PM   #1
bigul
Rep
Drives: BMW 8

Upgrade Hifi -> Harman/Kardon

I have an HiFi sound system installed in my G20, above it is only Harman Kardon, is the Harman Kardon connection plug n play or does it require some modifications?
I know that the frames are different, but I mean only technically replacing Hifi with Harman Kardon audio system
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2021, 02:49 AM   #2
g20beam
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: G20 330i M Sport

Garage List
2019 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigul View Post
I have an HiFi sound system installed in my G20, above it is only Harman Kardon, is the Harman Kardon connection plug n play or does it require some modifications?
I know that the frames are different, but I mean only technically replacing Hifi with Harman Kardon audio system
Even if you manage to plug in HK sound system by buying and installing the hardware, it would theoretically work right off the bat, but you would not have the menu options in iDrive to configure them. For that, you would need coding.

If you don't care for fine tuning and configuring the system, you can just swap it and it will most likely work. I know that from browsing through Expert Mode on Bimmercode back in the day, there were definitely options that you could change so that the menus would show support for HK sound system.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2021, 09:26 PM   #3
Encanto
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigul View Post
You need a new OEM audio harness, new OEM woofers, 4 new OEM tweeters, 2 new OEM mids, a new rear deck OEM panel, a Booster, and coding for a HiFi(676) to HK(688) conversion. It is not plug-and-play.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 02:23 AM   #4
helmet91
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330i X-Drive M-Sport

Garage List
Wouldn't you be better off going the Audiotec Fischer Match Up amp route or other similar setup?
Appreciate 0