BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
Technical Sections Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

07-20-2021, 06:59 PM   #1
MaybeanM5
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw m3

getting some hr&r sport springs on m3 tomorrow. few questions..

Hello, first and foremost i want to apologize for any silly questions i may have, its been a long time since i modded a car. Tomorrow i have an appointment to get some new hr springs on my G80 . I havent lowered a car since 2004 so its been a while. Im just wondering for those that have lowered their car- any noticeable difference in ride quality? would i need to worry about alignment for any reason? Its a pretty mild drop (1") so id assume it wouldn't compromise anything, but i just thought id ask. I definitely dont want to be putting tires more often than nescessary... lol . One other thing- they're really pushing the ideas of also putting spacers on the car along with the drop, not sure if there are any drawbacks to doing this? From what i understand , the differences would be solely cosmetic. Any and all feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2021, 08:42 PM   #2
spridge
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaybeanM5 View Post
Hello, first and foremost i want to apologize for any silly questions i may have, its been a long time since i modded a car. Tomorrow i have an appointment to get some new hr springs on my G80 . I havent lowered a car since 2004 so its been a while. Im just wondering for those that have lowered their car- any noticeable difference in ride quality? would i need to worry about alignment for any reason? Its a pretty mild drop (1") so id assume it wouldn't compromise anything, but i just thought id ask. I definitely dont want to be putting tires more often than nescessary... lol . One other thing- they're really pushing the ideas of also putting spacers on the car along with the drop, not sure if there are any drawbacks to doing this? From what i understand , the differences would be solely cosmetic. Any and all feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Both lowering springs and wheel spacers fall into the "cosmetic modifications" category, and you'll see a wide range of opinions about whether they have any performance benefit or detriment to the vehicle. Your springs of choice are likely to lower the front more than MSS HAS does, and you'll need to be more careful with the front end potentially scraping (driveway entrances, partaking stops, etc.) from time to time as a result. If your front spacers are 12mm or larger, one or both of your front tires could occasionally scrape the inside of a wheel well at full lock, and you'll need to decide whether that's acceptable behavior. As for the driving experience, replacement springs will add a little road feel, but that's fairly mitigated by the spring manufacturers' engineering. You should have the alignment checked after these modifications, and ideally after 50-100 miles of driving on the new setup so that it's mostly settled.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2021, 10:10 PM   #3
MaybeanM5
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw m3

Wow that kind of makes me rethink if I should do it or not… sounds like it could be more hassle than it's worth ..
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2021, 06:49 AM   #4
spridge
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Wow that kind of makes me rethink if I should do it or not… sounds like it could be more hassle than it's worth ..
For the record, I did both with my G80 and I love the results! As long as you go in to these things with eyes wide open to some of the (in my opinion minor) drawbacks, then you'll be happy too.

Latest:
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
NCG80M3663.50
      07-21-2021, 09:21 AM   #5
spridge
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Hey MaybeanM5 - Bimmerpost says you're unable to receive DM's, so I wanted to answer your question here:

Two things that I've observed since my car was lowered and had spacers installed on July 4th:
1. With the new springs the ride quality is a little harsher, and you should expect yours to be similar. My car now reacts a little more (in a way that I can feel in the seat and sometimes the steering wheel) to minor imperfections in the road surface, and here in Ohio, there are many imperfections!
2. With spacers, you are likely to hear a scraping noise when you're backing up at full steering wheel lock. This happens to me when I'm backing out of a parking spot at a store, etc. where others might hear it as well. You'll have to decide if that's an acceptable trade off for the cosmetic benefit that you get from the spacers. For me, so far, the tradeoff is worthwhile.

I hope this helps. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2021, 11:09 AM   #6
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

Quote:
My semi educated reply having used H&R quite a bit on so many of my rides...

I dont know personally how it will apply to the G80 damper set up but Ive used them on 5 other M's and the results were a mixed bag of excess rebound and compression. Now I do have H&R on my R8 but that car responds differently because of the damper setup.

I think you will gain quite a bit of form here with the drop but functionality will be a determination of the roads where you live. Im in the OC and the roads are really good so H&R was ok on my past rides but I have KW on my M8 and clearly the spring rates on that package soaks up the bumps better while remaining taut at higher speeds. Its a true progressive spring with proper rates.

There are guys here posting H&R but I have not seen one on a G80 since we know it only drops the car .4 inches in the rear. If you see a G80 with H&R's and its lower, that car has G20 springs and was cut by a shop most of us know about.

Its going to be crap shoot here but let us know. If you are not a track junkie you should be fine but a HAS system (I have MSS on my G80) is the best way as the springs are truly dialed better with the dampers. My MSS system is arguably just as good as the OEM springs for where I live and the speeds I push my car.

2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 2
spridge646.00
r33_RGSport12971.00
      07-21-2021, 11:56 AM   #7
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

Here is my thread for perspective and page 2 has the spacer pics:

https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1841525
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 05:40 AM   #8
barryc365
Major
Rep
Drives: BMWM3

If you decide to lower the car, I would do the spacers too. It'll really help create the look you want. The stock wheels get lost a little in the big arches

I haven't found the rubbing to be bad in reverse at all. I just drive slowly and don't do full lock and even when I do it's only fender liners that are rubbing, not an issue really for most

As for the lowering you may feel a few extra bumps
In the road but I don't think it's too bad. Most people have been happy with MSS's ride quality, I think it's a more premium kit than the H&R with the secondary spring in the rear. My experience with H&R on prior cars has been a crashy ride that I didn't want again

You may need to be a little more cautious with entry/exit on curbs and parking lots but nothing crazy. It's not going to be totally slammed or anything so to me it's manageable

Getting MSS installed on Wednesday and had the spacers installed a few weeks ago which made a huge difference to the presence of the car I feel with limited draw backs if any for me
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2023, 01:48 PM   #9
21Void (Eric)
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Garage List
  [0.00]
2024 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by spridge View Post
For the record, I did both with my G80 and I love the results! As long as you go in to these things with eyes wide open to some of the (in my opinion minor) drawbacks, then you'll be happy too.

Latest:
I like the stance and fitment. What are the sizes for your spacers and do you only have front springs installed and left the rear along? I have the euro kit coming. Eibach front springs only and 12/15mm spacers. I Pirellis tires and I know it will rub which I am going to use the heat gun to minimize that. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2023, 02:42 PM   #10
chujk1985
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 M3 X Comp

I have H&R sports. Some days I’m cool with them, but I may take them off in favor of the front only eibachs. The look is great, but the ride quality isn’t all that great with the H&R imo.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2023, 05:29 PM   #11
M4Lou
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21'-x3m40i 23'-m4c 24'-x3mc

Quote:
Originally Posted by chujk1985 View Post
I have H&R sports. Some days I’m cool with them, but I may take them off in favor of the front only eibachs. The look is great, but the ride quality isn’t all that great with the H&R imo.
Very happy w/ the Eibachs on a g82 (four springs). I think it is comparable to the front only Eibachs on a g80. 12 or 15 front and 12 rear. That seems to be the deal. My g82 has 12's all around. I may experiment w/ 15's on front. The eibachs do NOT lead to dragging that bad. Its' prolly a 3/4"++ inch drop. I have ps4s/Michelins.

My other deal (just me) is that I didn't want some adjustable/locking spring deal. Just super well made drop springs. Seems like less stuff to fail.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2023, 06:38 PM   #12
JDUNITNOW
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335I, 750li, X5 G80

Quote:
I started out with HAS springs and adjusted them three times. It time, they were too low and scraped on speed bumps, maneuvers in and out of driveway and honestly the M3 just didn't feel the same. Also the ride started degrading and clunker and made noises. I recently went wit eibach springs all around and car is back to oem feel. No more unusual noises and very minimal difference in ride. It soaks up bumps and undulations in road and I can enjoy driving my car without making stupid techniques getting in and out of places.
04 BMW X5
11 BMW 335i convertible (sold, sellers market
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2023, 09:02 PM   #13
chujk1985
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 M3 X Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDUNITNOW View Post
I started out with HAS springs and adjusted them three times. It time, they were too low and scraped on speed bumps, maneuvers in and out of driveway and honestly the M3 just didn't feel the same. Also the ride started degrading and clunker and made noises. I recently went wit eibach springs all around and car is back to oem feel. No more unusual noises and very minimal difference in ride. It soaks up bumps and undulations in road and I can enjoy driving my car without making stupid techniques getting in and out of places.
Is your M3 a comp xDrive? Did your order them from Europe?
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2023, 01:36 PM   #14
JDUNITNOW
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Is your M3 a comp xDrive? Did your order them from Europe?
My car is RWD and I ordered my springs from the Tuner shop.
https://www.ebay.com/str/tunershopgm...mis&media=COPY
04 BMW X5
Appreciate 1
chujk1985542.50
      11-24-2023, 11:48 AM   #15
Soylent
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 M4C

Quote:
My car is RWD and I ordered my springs from the Tuner shop.
https://www.ebay.com/str/tunershopgm...mis&media=COPY
Interesting. They look one piece though I didn’t see G82 specific. How long have you had them? Did they settle much? How does the height compare to MSS HAS set at zero in front and 10 mm in rear?
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2023, 08:32 AM   #16
JDUNITNOW
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soylent View Post
Interesting. They look one piece though I didn’t see G82 specific. How long have you had them? Did they settle much? How does the height compare to MSS HAS set at zero in front and 10 mm in rear?
Actually its lower than MSS springs on front at zero and honestly the rear looks almost the same height as oem rear spring...lol. I've had them on now for about 3 months and wish I went this route first. Zero noises in my suspension now and the dampers are working like they should. My car soaks up the bumps in the road and is not crashing on bumps.
Attached Images

04 BMW X5
Appreciate 1
      11-28-2023, 10:44 AM   #17
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Actually its lower than MSS springs on front at zero and honestly the rear looks almost the same height as oem rear spring...lol. I've had them on now for about 3 months and wish I went this route first. Zero noises in my suspension now and the dampers are working like they should. My car soaks up the bumps in the road and is not crashing on bumps.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0