E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Static/white noise everything is off **PLEASE HELP

06-29-2021, 09:01 PM   #1
ilytdxo
mperare sibi maximum imperium est
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 328xi M-Sport 6MT

Static/white noise everything is off **PLEASE HELP

Got in the car today and I started to hear fairly loud static/white noise. I isolated it to the rear right side deck speakers. As soon as my car is 'activated' (door opened) the white noise begins. I have done a deep search and it looks like this has been a very common issue in BMWs during this generation, however the threads on this seem to be a few years back. There doesn't seem to be a consensus of a fix for this. A lot of 'software' and defected 'RAD2' units talk. I checked the amp in the trunk everything looks fine, nothing is loose, connection seems fine but then again I don't know anything about it. I decided to disconnect the speaker - I removed the speaker grill and proceeded to unplug the wire into the speaker. The sound was gone. I decided to reconnect it, just so I can replicate it later. The static continued in the rear but shortly after the sound is no longer in the rear but now comes from the front, same side, passenger door speakers. **Update: Static/white noise has moved back to the rear right deck speaker - go figure.

Symptoms:
Loud static noise coming from front speakers passenger side.
Sound persists when car is turned off, car ignition is started or prior to car ignition
Sound persists with or without radio/stereo on
Sound does not get increasing louder and is completely independent of the radio control

If I get in the car and sit there doing nothing eventually it will stop but as soon as I open the door or touch anything that activates the car it starts up again.

Hoping someone out there has been able to resolve this issue? I can't drive with this. I bought a BMW for a quiet cabin now I get loud static... I just want to drive this thing off the cliff now.

TL;DR - Static/White Noise coming through speakers. It's on all the time as soon as I open the door/unlock the car. Car on or off. Radio off or on. Music can still play but with the constant static playing simultaneously

Have only had my car for a few days and already I'm plagued!

Much thanks!

Last edited by ilytdxo; 06-29-2021 at 10:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2021, 09:11 PM   #2
BSM n54iS
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 335is | '16 Macan Turbo

Aliens
GruppeM CF Intake | AR Resonated DP | ER CP | Turbosmart RacePort BOV | Cobb FMIC | RB Inlets | RB External Mishi/Turner OCC | Michelin PS4 | BMW Performance Springs/Bilstein B8 + Dinan & M3 bits | BMW Brembo BBK | BMW Performance CF Spoiler | BMW Performance CF Lip | BMW Performance Alcantara | PS Designs GTS Armrest | AG H6-40 | Rear Seat Delete
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2021, 09:27 PM   #3
e90yyc
Art Collector
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi (GM-delete 6MT)

Grounding issue?
      06-29-2021, 09:30 PM   #4
ilytdxo
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90yyc View Post
Grounding issue?
Out of the blue?... do you know how I may check/confirm this?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2021, 10:22 PM   #5
TunafishE93
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

You sure you checked the amp in back of the left side rear wheel well? It is a good place for water to collect...
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2021, 10:44 PM   #6
ilytdxo
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunafishE93 View Post
You sure you checked the amp in back of the left side rear wheel well? It is a good place for water to collect...
Yes that is the first thing I did. It's dry and clean. Not much there just some dust. I also checked the unit right behind the rear seats in the trunk (not sure what that is for) but it was dry as well.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2021, 11:12 PM   #7
TunafishE93
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Thats the combox in trunk, some mistake that for the amp.. But sounds like you checked them both
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2021, 12:34 AM   #8
BSM n54iS
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 335is | '16 Macan Turbo

Disconnect battery for ten seconds or so, can't hurt and will reset some things if you've only had car for a few days
GruppeM CF Intake | AR Resonated DP | ER CP | Turbosmart RacePort BOV | Cobb FMIC | RB Inlets | RB External Mishi/Turner OCC | Michelin PS4 | BMW Performance Springs/Bilstein B8 + Dinan & M3 bits | BMW Brembo BBK | BMW Performance CF Spoiler | BMW Performance CF Lip | BMW Performance Alcantara | PS Designs GTS Armrest | AG H6-40 | Rear Seat Delete
Appreciate 0