E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Cooling Fan Not Turning On When AC Activated

06-26-2021, 07:54 PM   #1
NB323
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 323i

Cooling Fan Not Turning On When AC Activated

N52 engine:
AC takes a while to cool after car first turns on but after about 10 minutes gets "cool" but noticed radiator fan is not spinning but if the car warms and the fan does turn on due to engine.temp then the AC blows ice cold.. any ideas why the fan wouldn't be turning on when I turn the AC is commanded on...When I hit the snowflake button or hit Mac AC I hear what I believe to be some sort of blend door actuate, the AC will turn on, I can feel kinda cool air.but when I open the hood the cooling fan is not turning. I did feel the AC lines I can definitely feel one is cooler.then the other so.the.compressor seems to.be working , but no cooling fan activation...only when car warms up, like it did today while waiting in the coffee shops drive thru and AC was nice and cold on my way back home which was about 10 minutes.
Little back story, the AC was inoperable when I bought the car, turned out to be the AC line had split right before the pressure sensor, I replaced the line, grabbed a recharge kit from the local parts store and.filled it up until the internal gauge of the recharge kit was reading in the "good" zone. But I don't think this may be the issue as I feel the AC lines and one is colder then the other so the compressor is working and I am getting cool air out of the vents after about 10 minutes or so but no nice cold air.unless the engine warms up too much and turns on the cooling fan...weird...
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2021, 08:27 PM   #2
TunafishE93
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

The cooling fan doesn't get triggered by A/C directly. If the cars not warm the fan won't turn A/C or not. The fan runs at higher speeds once car is warmed with A/C on though. The long cooling time is likely the way the system was filled.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2021, 11:17 AM   #3
e90yyc
Art Collector
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi (GM-delete 6MT)

First off, you’re in Canada, so the refrigerant you added is not the correct type for the system. Ideally should be filled with R134a, whereas you’ve filled with R12a. (Shouldn’t wreck anything but might not be as effective.)

System should be filled by weight. They’re notoriously picky, so I wouldn’t bother troubleshooting too much until you’ve had it evacuated and filled with R134a by a qualified shop. Someone who regularly works on BMW and is familiar with them.

Edit: For clarification, sale of R134a in retail quantities in Canada was banned a few years back. Only way to get it is from a shop…

Last edited by e90yyc; 06-27-2021 at 11:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2021, 03:09 PM   #4
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by NB323 View Post
N52 engine: AC takes a while to cool after car first turns on but after about 10 minutes gets "cool" but noticed radiator fan is not spinning but if the car warms and the fan does turn on due to engine.temp then the AC blows ice cold...
I admire your attempt to DIY, but WITHOUT an accurate reading of "High Side" Refrigerant Pressure, in the line between Condenser & Expansion Valve, where the "Refrigerant Pressure Sensor" is, or the line you repaired, you CAN'T accurately recharge the system. I won't even get into HOW/ IF you pumped a vacuum on the system BEFORE adding 12A refrigerant.

ANYONE know if Pressure/Temperature charts exist for 12A Refrigerant? Here is such a chart for R-134a, but THAT is NOT accurate for a DIFFERENT refrigerant, although it MAY be "close enough" -- I have NO IDEA, as I have never used/ researched 12A.
https://www.acprocold.com/faq/r-134a...ressure-chart/

Might research these links for 12A comparison:
https://www.google.com/search?q=12a+...zZmiY009vNWfEM

So if you understand the Issues/Risks of "Converting" an R-134a System to 12A, I would simply suggest that you really need SOMETHING to read High Side Pressure, as well as LOW Side, which is presumably what your "Can Tap with Gauge" read. The two solutions for that for DIY use:
1) INPA or ISTA BMW Diagnostic Software, either of which can display the Signal/ Value from the Refrigerant Pressure Sensor;
2) Manifold Gauge Set that shows BOTH High & Low Side Pressures, AND has 3rd line for connecting Refrigerant Charging Can. In US, we can get those from Amazon for ~ $31 instead of $44:
https://www.amazon.ca/Diagnostic-Man...4823079&sr=8-7
https://www.amazon.com/AURELIO-TECH-...823247&sr=8-16

Refrigerant Pressure Sensor INPUT to the DME is ONE of the Inputs used by DME to Control Fan Speed, ALONG WITH Engine Temp, Vehicle Speed, Cat Temp, & Battery Voltage.

Your Radiator Fan or E-Fan SHOULD begin to run within 30 to 40 seconds of turning on Compressor Valve (Snowflake button on A/C Control Panel), and if ECTS (Engine Coolant Temp Sensor) signal is still below ~ 70C, when you turn Compressor Valve OFF (Snowflake) Radiator Fan should STOP within ~ 10 seconds. At least THAT is how my 3/2007 build 328xi with MSV80 DME and IHKA87 A/C Control Module functions.
George
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2021, 12:24 PM   #5
NB323
Rep

Where can I find the pressure sensor reading in inpa... I go to e90, then body and hit air conditioning control panel and get an error in communication...is there somewhere else I should be looking??
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2021, 03:57 PM   #6
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Where can I find the pressure sensor reading in inpa... I go to e90, then body and hit air conditioning control panel and get an error in communication...is there somewhere else I should be looking??
You are looking in the correct place. The "Refrigerant Pressure Sensor" Live Data can be viewed either by viewing (1) INPA > IHKA > F5 Status > F1 Analog Inputs, OR (2) INPA > JBBF > F5 Status > F3 Sensors. The Pressure Sensor is actually connected directly to the JBBF, but its signal is passed through to the IHKA Module.

If you have NOT used your Installation of INPA, and/or K+DCAN Cable before, or recently, the problem COULD be something as simple (once you see how to do it ;-) as setting COM Port 1 Latency 1. See the attached pdf for HOW to do that. Be aware that Windows Updates will periodically change that setting, so if you either "Can't Connect" to a certain Module, or a "Script" stops running, check that first.

Also, I would recommend using the procedure explained in that pdf for saving ScreenPrints of INPA screens, so you can attach them here for evaluation. Since much of the important stuff, like error messages or technical terms for "labels" is in German, instead of English, translation and interpretation is important. Google Translate can help, but best to post the screen here for thoughts/ interpretations of others.

I would try the following and report back on progress, or lack of it:
1) With K+DCAN cable attached to USB port of your computer, but NOT to the vehicle, check COM Port 1, Latency 1 settings as described in pdf.
2) Connect to vehicle; view & save: (a) Functional Jobs > F2 Identification screen, and (b) Functional Jobs > F4 Error Memory, ALL Modules screen.
3) Note column 4 of Identification screen shows "SGBD" or "Variant" of each Module in your vehicle. That is helpful when you need to connect to a particular Module.
4) Try connecting to EACH: JBBF & IHKA Modules. If you get any error message, save a ScreenPrint of that message, as translation of the German will clarify WHY you can't connect. If it just says something like "Language Variants don't match" and there is an "OK" box, just click OK and it should go through. That's ONLY a warning of possible malfunction. Other error messages may indicate operation will be terminated/ aborted, and it will return you to the opening screen.
Please let us know what you find,
George
Attached Images
File Type: pdf INPA Tutorial Quickstart.pdf (682.2 KB, 84 views)
Appreciate 1
e90yyc2426.50
      06-30-2021, 05:43 PM   #7
NB323
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
You are looking in the correct place. The "Refrigerant Pressure Sensor" Live Data can be viewed either by viewing (1) INPA > IHKA > F5 Status > F1 Analog Inputs, OR (2) INPA > JBBF > F5 Status > F3 Sensors. The Pressure Sensor is actually connected directly to the JBBF, but its signal is passed through to the IHKA Module.

If you have NOT used your Installation of INPA, and/or K+DCAN Cable before, or recently, the problem COULD be something as simple (once you see how to do it ;-) as setting COM Port 1 Latency 1. See the attached pdf for HOW to do that. Be aware that Windows Updates will periodically change that setting, so if you either "Can't Connect" to a certain Module, or a "Script" stops running, check that first.

Also, I would recommend using the procedure explained in that pdf for saving ScreenPrints of INPA screens, so you can attach them here for evaluation. Since much of the important stuff, like error messages or technical terms for "labels" is in German, instead of English, translation and interpretation is important. Google Translate can help, but best to post the screen here for thoughts/ interpretations of others.

I would try the following and report back on progress, or lack of it:
1) With K+DCAN cable attached to USB port of your computer, but NOT to the vehicle, check COM Port 1, Latency 1 settings as described in pdf.
2) Connect to vehicle; view & save: (a) Functional Jobs > F2 Identification screen, and (b) Functional Jobs > F4 Error Memory, ALL Modules screen.
3) Note column 4 of Identification screen shows "SGBD" or "Variant" of each Module in your vehicle. That is helpful when you need to connect to a particular Module.
4) Try connecting to EACH: JBBF & IHKA Modules. If you get any error message, save a ScreenPrint of that message, as translation of the German will clarify WHY you can't connect. If it just says something like "Language Variants don't match" and there is an "OK" box, just click OK and it should go through. That's ONLY a warning of possible malfunction. Other error messages may indicate operation will be terminated/ aborted, and it will return you to the opening screen.
Please let us know what you find,
George
Seems I may have an issue with my inpa installation..weird thing is I can pretty much read everything in engine and a lot of the other functions are there but when I try to go to my ihka module I get an error saying it was looking for a particular ihka and found inka87_2

I am not quite sure what this means or how I go about fixing it.. I got my inpa version from bimmergeeks standard tools and it is the current version, which isn't any fun as most of it is in German, but regardless I have no idea how to get past this error.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-01-2021, 02:40 AM   #8
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Seems I may have an issue with my inpa installation..weird thing is I can pretty much read everything in engine and a lot of the other functions are there but when I try to go to my ihka module I get an error saying it was looking for a particular ihka and found inka87_2. I am not quite sure what this means or how I go about fixing it.. I got my inpa version from bimmergeeks standard tools and it is the current version, which isn't any fun as most of it is in German, but regardless I have no idea how to get past this error.
Well, the error message is in ENGLISH, NOT German.
I hope you can laugh at this instead of getting upset. Your interpretation is EXACTLY correct. When you clicked "Body | Air Conditioning / Control Panel", what happens "behind the scene" is that INPA tries to run the Program or Script for an IHKA Module with the "SGBD" or Variant: "IHKA87". My 3/2007 build E91 has that IHKA Module Variant, but your 2011 E90 has the Variant "IHKA87_2", kinda like "version 2.0" of the earlier Program.

I just realized that you had ANOTHER thread with additional screens related to the issue. You asked WHY INPA didn't report the IHKA Module in the "Functional Jobs > F2 Identification" Screen. Actually it DOES. It is shown as "78 KLIMA" or Climate. Look at the 4th Column, SGBD/Variant. Strange, it says "IHKA87_2".

So we see that clicking "Body | Air Conditioning / Control Panel" does NOT connect your INPA Installation to the IHKA/KLIMA Module. Your INPA installation does NOT have to be reinstalled or deleted and something else downloaded. You just have to enter a NEW LINE in the appropriate Text File in the "C:\EC-APPS\INPA\CFGDAT" Folder. There may be other Modules in your vehicle for which the same issue applies. For instance, I had to add a line in "Transmission" for GS1912 which is the GM6 Transmission Control Module.

I will test that on my BG INPA installation and make sure it works (I should get the reverse of your error message: telling me IHKA87_2 NOT Found, but found IHKA87). I will post the specific file you need to add a line of text to, and the exact text you need to add on that line. That will NOT affect how the program works. It ONLY identifies a Script/ Program file you want INPA to run when you click on that NEW Line in the Right Listbox. Similar to adding a shortcut that identifies a file to open.

ANYONE reading this who can quickly provide precise instructions, please do.

George
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2021, 10:29 AM   #9
NB323
Rep

Tried playing around with changing that file in the both CFG folders I have and still no luck... it's really strange the latest bimmergeeks download would not include that module after all these years... intried searching the forums and others have had similar issues but I have not found anyone with a solid fix for this issue in inpa yet... any help appreciated!!
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2021, 04:00 PM   #10
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

INPA: IPO file missing: HOW to FIX?

I have looked at what is in the various Folders installed on the "C:" Root/Main Directory (as opposed to C:\Program Files Folders) related to TWO Different INPA installations (one is BG version as you have), and here is what I see:

1) IHKA87.prg file, and IHKA87_2.prg file are BOTH in the C:\EDIABAS\ECU Folder, on each installation. Each Program File is just larger than 1 MB.

2) It appears that there needs to be a "correspondingly-named IPO File" in the C:\EC-APPS\INPA\SGDAT Folder in order for the "Program File" to be opened. I CANNOT figure out HOW to get that file, if your installation does NOT have that file already in that folder. You need "IHKA87_2.IPO" file in SGDAT folder to open the IHKA87_2.PRG Program File (apparently).

3) In addition, you need to add a text line to the INPA Script Selection Right-hand ListBox (which appears when you click "Body" in the Left Listbox. HOW you do that is explained below, but I CANNOT tell you how to add the "IPO" file to the SGDAT Folder.

I'm NOT a "Programmer", so the above is simply my "Concept" of how the program works, based upon the files named in the folder, and the fact that adding the text line which WOULD result in opening "IHKA87_2.PRG" Program results in an error message saying:
"C:\EC-APPS\INPA\SGDAT\IHKA87_2.ipo(1) : error I300: Error opening object file"

ANYONE able to offer any insight on this issue?
ANYONE have that IPO file in SGDAT folder?

IF your "SGDAT" Folder already contains the necessary IPO file, you can add the necessary Text Line to the Right-hand ListBox for "Body" by opening following file in "NotePad" (simply D-Click the filename):

C:\EC-APPS\INPA\CFGDAT\E90.ENG (English), INSERT the following line BELOW the existing "ENTRY= IHKA87,Air Conditioning"... line:
ENTRY= IHKA87_2,Air Conditioning / Later Control Panel,

You can use ANY descriptive language you want between the commas (part identified by me in Red Text), as that is JUST a label for identification purposes. What MATTERS is the first part which I have bolded above for emphasis:
ENTRY= IHKA87_2,
what you enter after that first comma and before ending comma is discretionary.

NOW, WHERE can we find the IPO file? If one simply copies the entire "IHKA87_2.PRG" file to SGDAT folder, will THAT work?
BTW, SG is German Abbreviation for Steuergerät = Control Unit = ECU.

George
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2022, 07:20 PM   #11
Alturiak
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335i

I'm currently trying to diagnose my AC system and have run into the same IHKA87_2 error as well

Has anyone got it figured out? I've looked everywhere else on the web and no one seems to have an IHKA87_2.ipo file so I'm feeling pretty stuck at the moment.
2011 E92 M-Sport BSM, Built N55 with 9.5:1 compression and forged internals, VAC Stage 3 Ported Head, custom tuned by Twisted Tuning, PR Coils, Pure Stage 2, Fuel It! Phoenix Race PI Manifold, StopTech BBK 380mm front 345mm rear, BBS CH-R Titanium, Dinan exhaust w/black tips, BMS Intake, DCT shifter retrofit, VRSF 3.5" downpipe, VRSF 7" HD IC, CSL CF trunk, 335is Rear Diffusor, Alpina B3 Trans Flash
Appreciate 1
mecheng771007.00
      05-29-2023, 01:11 PM   #12
camboNZ
Rep
Drives: E91 LCI 325i N53

I have the same issue (2011 E91) and it seems I need to find an older SP-Daten set that contains that .IPO. Potentially v55 or v56?
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2023, 01:16 PM   #13
camboNZ
Rep
Drives: E91 LCI 325i N53

I've downloaded v57 and it's not contained in there
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2024, 10:36 PM   #14
Derek Keenan
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: bmw 335i

Car was idling and out of knowhere the car started blowing Freon out of ac compressor. Hooked gauges up to ac compressor and found low side pressure was max and high side at 150. Re charged ac system, upon start up Freon blew out of ac compressor again. Hooked gauged back up and noticed high side pressure slowly climbing and getting to max while low side was fine, noticed fan wasn’t on, turned max cooling mode on through MHD and watched high side go back to normal and Freon didn’t blow out of compressor. Finally once the car warmed up the fan turned on for coolant and oil cooling pourposes and ac was fine. The issue im dealing with is the fan doesn’t turn on when ac is on. Are there any components like relays or sensors that controls the fan when ac is on?