BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-12-2021, 10:02 AM   #1
boma23
Registered
British Virgin Islands
Rep
Drives: BMW 2.5Si JDM X3 E83

ABS bleeding with INPA - what am I missing?

2007 Bleeding ABS brakes...

Couple of months back one of the utterly stupid master to ABS lines with the unnecessary crimped braided sections failed. The less said about the idiocy of that design & routing the better, and ended up cutting and replacing the first section and joining to the remaining steel line in-place. (Why is there a braided section to fail? Why does the line run through 2 turret bulkheads and under the back of the engine under cooling pipes then through an insane route instead of just straight around the top of the firewall??)

Now I need to bleed the ABS. Being a BMW this obviously isn't 5 mins with a spanner and a mate on the pedal.

I bought this "JahyShow USB Interface Cable Car Ediabas K+ Dcan USB OBD OBD2" cable from amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I tried about 4 different downloads, then finally got a copy of Mikes easy BMW Tools Package semi-working.

Here's where I seem to be stuck. INPA loads and runs, and I get the black dots for battery and ignition when engine is turned on, along with system tray icon. But after selecting chassis, trying to get any module loaded results in the error:

Group File: D_ABSKWP.
IFH-0009: NO RESPONSE FRM CONTROL UNIT.
Program will be stopped!

(or the same in German, no matter what module I try and load).

- I have latest FTDI drivers installed from website (no CD to try drivers sent with cable), and cable appears to be installed correctly
- Device Manager is showing the USB cable on COM1 with latency set to 1.
- My Environment Variable Path is set correctly showing C:\ediabas\bin
- My EDIABAS.INI exists in C:\EDIABAS\Bin and lists Interface = STD:OBD
- obd.ini exists in C:\EDIABAS\Bin and lists Port=Com1, Hardware=USB, and this correlates to

** obd.ini did NOT exist in the C:\Windows directory, so copied it to there also. **

- FW and AV are turned off, additional with exceptions set in the AV for all folder paths and main processes also.

After all of this, I still cannot get INPA to show the INI patch, ECU path or Interface, and get the lots of ?????????????????????? instead.

I saw that in the EDIABAS.INI file, there were paths set to C:\EC-APPS\ECU and \SIM, however these folders do not exist - they only exist directly under C:\EDIABAS\ECU and\SIM - might this be related?

I'm adding a file with screenshots of anything that might be relevant to my install, if anyone can help?

Appreciate 0