THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Last of the M240i

06-11-2021, 08:20 AM   #1
raddoc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5,Model3,M240i

Last of the M240i

I took delivery of a new '21 M240i MT6 yesterday. The production and delivery times were spot on. It is mineral white, moonlight top, cognac leather and was ordered with dark fine line wood trim. As is BMW's current strategy, they'll send what they have in stock, so it arrived with aluminum/blue trim. The explanation I was given was that there were no complete sets of wood trim left at the factory, so aluminum/blue was the default. Other than that, the car is pretty perfect for my needs. The 0.9% financing for 60 months plus $4500 in incentives worked out well. Will post pix someday when not raining in PA.
Appreciate 5
      06-11-2021, 08:26 AM   #2
spidy512
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 f80 M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Congrats!

Love the color combo. But a bummer they ran out of the trim you were hoping for. I bet you can find some on ebay or around here as everyone usually is looking for.

I like the alum/blue personally. I think it would go well with my estoril blue/coral red combo. The blue of the trim sorta matched the EB in a way.

Looking forward to pics!

josh
Appreciate 1
Moflow2484.50
      06-11-2021, 08:45 AM   #3
TAZ007
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 Z4 M40

Garage List
2021 Z4 M40  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by raddoc View Post
I took delivery of a new '21 M240i MT6 yesterday. The production and delivery times were spot on. It is mineral white, moonlight top, cognac leather and was ordered with dark fine line wood trim. As is BMW's current strategy, they'll send what they have in stock, so it arrived with aluminum/blue trim. The explanation I was given was that there were no complete sets of wood trim left at the factory, so aluminum/blue was the default. Other than that, the car is pretty perfect for my needs. The 0.9% financing for 60 months plus $4500 in incentives worked out well. Will post pix someday when not raining in PA.
Congrats...hope they gave you something off for the trim change at least. Makes it more palatable, but it sounds like a good build as is.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2021, 09:10 AM   #4
TheRas900
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Amazing car - I saw it pop up on West German's site and was hoping the person who ordered it might cancel!
I hope to see you driving around the neighborhood with the top down.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2021, 09:53 AM   #5
Vitacura
Ich Liebe mein BMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 M240i CV, 23 X1

Congrats, look forward to pictures! The Aluminum trim is sharp, I had it on my last two F23 and really liked it. I went CF this time around just for the change.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2021, 12:51 PM   #6
RvR
Private
Rep
Drives: M240i

Congrats on the 6MT

Quote:
An excellent spec. Annoying about the trim being NLA from Leipzig. Perhaps they'll give you a discount on an LSD to help? That would be ideal for completing your BMW.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2021, 07:30 AM   #7
raddoc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

My other build addition was the mobility kit & Michelin Super Sports. I lost two run flats on my '20 F23 xDrive in October driving at 7 mph to a Philly pothole. Still can't figure out the real run flat advantage.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2021, 03:10 PM   #8
peteyrx7
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5 and 2021 BMW M240I

Quote:
Congrats on the new car but the trim explanation sounds fishy to me. There are cars being delayed on build or in QC due to some parts shortages like HK sound and wireless charging but no other mention of trim shortages on the board. Did you get a copy of the pre build order spec sheet before the order was placed to verify it was correct? Sounds like a dealer error to me that they don't want to own.

I don't think BMW just leaves a bunch of trim kits sitting in the factory that aren't allocated to orders. I believe the whole reason orders are factory locked around 2 weeks before build is so that the correct parts are on hand to build with. I think your car was accidentally ordered the way you received it. Personally I'd make the dealer fix it. I don't love the idea of aluminum trim with blue highlights paired with cognac. The fineline wood however goes awesome with the cognac.

Separately, My M240 was just built on 6/9 and it has the wood trim. Clearly I don't have the car yet but I ran a vin check and confirmed the build is as I ordered it. This data point further calls the explanation provided by your dealer into question.

I think bmw genius could likely give you the correct answer to this question. There has to be a full order audit history available somewhere so if your dealer is lying they'll get called on the carpet for it.
Appreciate 3
aerobod3706.00
raddoc106.50
TAZ0071846.50
      06-12-2021, 09:13 PM   #9
TAZ007
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2021 Z4 M40  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by peteyrx7 View Post
Congrats on the new car but the trim explanation sounds fishy to me. There are cars being delayed on build or in QC due to some parts shortages like HK sound and wireless charging but no other mention of trim shortages on the board. Did you get a copy of the pre build order spec sheet before the order was placed to verify it was correct? Sounds like a dealer error to me that they don't want to own.

I don't think BMW just leaves a bunch of trim kits sitting in the factory that aren't allocated to orders. I believe the whole reason orders are factory locked around 2 weeks before build is so that the correct parts are on hand to build with. I think your car was accidentally ordered the way you received it. Personally I'd make the dealer fix it. I don't love the idea of aluminum trim with blue highlights paired with cognac. The fineline wood however goes awesome with the cognac.

Separately, My M240 was just built on 6/9 and it has the wood trim. Clearly I don't have the car yet but I ran a vin check and confirmed the build is as I ordered it. This data point further calls the explanation provided by your dealer into question.

I think bmw genius could likely give you the correct answer to this question. There has to be a full order audit history available somewhere so if your dealer is lying they'll get called on the carpet for it.
I agree. Press the issue and get what you paid for.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2021, 07:05 AM   #10
cristo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M240i Convertible

I would say pick your battles.
Think about it a little.
Maybe this is one of them to fight for;
maybe it isn’t.
Appreciate 1
overcoil3078.50
      06-13-2021, 07:21 AM   #11
raddoc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Trim war?

I'm going back to the dealer this week with the original paperwork for the order. I did change the interior color from oyster to cognac in March. It appears that the salesman did not carry the fine line wood selection over to the new interior color. My proof is the complete spec sheets for each order stage. I did not notice that he dropped the dark fine line on the revision to cognac. I expect someone there to own up to the error and order the new trim pieces. One other potential problem is that the dealership changed hands at the end of May. First world issue for sure.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2021, 11:25 AM   #12
TAZ007
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2021 Z4 M40  [5.00]
Quote:
I'm going back to the dealer this week with the original paperwork for the order. I did change the interior color from oyster to cognac in March. It appears that the salesman did not carry the fine line wood selection over to the new interior color. My proof is the complete spec sheets for each order stage. I did not notice that he dropped the dark fine line on the revision to cognac. I expect someone there to own up to the error and order the new trim pieces. One other potential problem is that the dealership changed hands at the end of May. First world issue for sure.
Good luck. I suggest you keep an even demeanor and not get emotional. Logic will be your best weapon. As far as the ownership change, this might be your biggest advantage. Mentioning that mistakes happen and you're just looking for a minor make it right situation, I'm sure the new owners want to provide excellent customer service so you spread the good word. (Talking point)
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2021, 01:08 PM   #13
RvR
Private
Rep

I have Cognac and fine line wood trim

Quote:
They work really well together, IMO. I looked through all of the combos available at the time and thought that went with Cognac the best, FWIW.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2021, 03:54 PM   #14
TheRas900
Rep

Quote:
I've had nothing but great experiences with that dealer under the old ownership. Let us know how you fare.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2021, 03:59 PM   #15
raddoc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I just got a call from the parts department. They're ordering the fine line trim and will install it whenever it arrives in a few weeks. Everyone at the dealership has been very understanding.
Appreciate 1
spidy512497.50
      06-18-2021, 04:05 PM   #16
TAZ007
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2021 Z4 M40  [5.00]
Quote:
I just got a call from the parts department. They're ordering the fine line trim and will install it whenever it arrives in a few weeks. Everyone at the dealership has been very understanding.
Outstanding, glad it worked out for you. Sounds like the new ownership is really trying to improve customer service.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2021, 10:28 AM   #17
hmulf
Rep

If you don't mind my asking, what incentives did you get that added up to $4500? I will be picking my new car up in a few weeks and I want to make sure I don't miss any deals...

PM me if you prefer. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2021, 03:07 PM   #18
TheRas900
Rep

Quote:
These guys are usually top notch - not sure how the order got messed up and not surprised they are making it right. Good to hear!

Personally, I think the fine line will look awesome with your color combo.

Well done!
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2021, 09:49 PM   #19
Flushvj
Rep
Drives: M235I

congrats on the new car!
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2021, 08:10 AM   #20
raddoc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flushvj View Post
congrats on the new car!
Still less than 100 miles on it. Damned East Coast rainy spring & summer!
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2021, 02:54 PM   #21
Llarry
///M driver
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6-speed

Garage List
Quote:
Still less than 100 miles on it. Damned East Coast rainy spring & summer!
Pics, when you can please.
Appreciate 0