E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > does BMW Performance SSK works on xi?

10-31-2008, 01:15 AM   #1
jimmy330xi
Captain
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: '06 330xI, '04 YZF R1

does BMW Performance SSK works on xi?

Sorry about the dumb question but I want to make sure this is going to fit before I buy it and end up installing something that won't fit just to take it out and send it back, seems like a lot of unnecesary work to me. Thanks.
Attached Images

'06 330Xi, '04 CBR600RR, '04 YZF-R1, '06CBR600RR, '10 S1000RR
M-tech, Injen, Hamann, Remus, KW, Breyton
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2008, 04:54 PM   #2
NMe90
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 325xi

I have a 325xi 2006, and it fits perfectly - remember though, you will have to get the full shifter changed (not just a knob and boot)

goodluck (PM me if further questions)
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2008, 06:42 PM   #3
NM_BMW
Vishnu Powered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335xi, S1000RR

It fits my 335xi fine. I'm looking for something better though. I hate the 1st to 2nd shift on this SSK.
      11-12-2008, 08:47 PM   #4
cycler
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Streetglide and 2011 Dyna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humtek View Post
It fits my 335xi fine. I'm looking for something better though. I hate the 1st to 2nd shift on this SSK.
I had the bmw ssk in my 335xi and hated shifting from 1st to 2nd. Then i bought the UUC ssk and it is amazing. I wish bmw just installed one of those into all their cars. Going from 1st to 2nd is perfect. Plus you can adjust the height of the lever.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2008, 09:29 PM   #5
NM_BMW
Vishnu Powered
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycler View Post
I had the bmw ssk in my 335xi and hated shifting from 1st to 2nd. Then i bought the UUC ssk and it is amazing. I wish bmw just installed one of those into all their cars. Going from 1st to 2nd is perfect. Plus you can adjust the height of the lever.
On the UUC don't you have to drop the transfer case to get it in? It's not just the lever like the BMW SSK?
      11-13-2008, 12:07 PM   #6
BavarianBullet
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi S5

Quote:
On the UUC don't you have to drop the transfer case to get it in? It's not just the lever like the BMW SSK?
Yeah I remember Longodj had a big problem with this and said UUC was working on making something specific for the XI.

I put in the BMW SSK on my 335XI too and the 1-2 shift absolutely sucks. The 2-3 and 3-4 are fine though. I think it might having something to do with the way the plastic ball on the lever is shaped since it has a flat spot around its circumference where the two halves are joined that I think is opposite what the stock shifter had.

I wish some co would make a normal shifter for this car that isn't frigging $300-$350. WTF.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2008, 12:23 PM   #7
NM_BMW
Vishnu Powered
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianBullet View Post
Yeah I remember Longodj had a big problem with this and said UUC was working on making something specific for the XI.

I put in the BMW SSK on my 335XI too and the 1-2 shift absolutely sucks. The 2-3 and 3-4 are fine though. I think it might having something to do with the way the plastic ball on the lever is shaped since it has a flat spot around its circumference where the two halves are joined that I think is opposite what the stock shifter had.

I wish some co would make a normal shifter for this car that isn't frigging $300-$350. WTF.
+1 Though I bought just the lever for $75 and change. It can't be that hard for UUC to use the stock carrier and use their awesome lever.
      11-15-2008, 12:21 PM   #8
BavarianBullet
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
+1 Though I bought just the lever for $75 and change. It can't be that hard for UUC to use the stock carrier and use their awesome lever.
UUC makes a "race" shifter for $149 that is basically just like a stock lever- it's machined all one piece, steel pivot ball. This is what I was hoping to get since I need to do some work on it anyways.

I don't need the rubber isolation "stick-inside-a-stick" crap, just a good solid lever and a pivot ball that's actually round. That and I plan on using a die to cut 12mm x 1.75 threads on it to use a threaded knob so it won't come off like it does now when I try and nail 2nd gear.

The race therefore is just what I need. They unfortunately only list it for E30,E36 and E46 BMWs. I don't know all the dimensions and interchangability of the various year shift levers or I might try the race just to see if I can get it to work.

I have just the BMW SSK lever only (from tischer) FWIW.

I thought they used the stock carrier with the EVO3- the difference is they use another carrier adapter inside that for their "effort reduction" (line up the selector rod more evenly with the trans) kit. I don't understand what part of the EVO3 doesn't work with the XI and why.

BB
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2008, 05:40 PM   #9
NM_BMW
Vishnu Powered
United_States
Rep

Quote:
UUC makes a "race" shifter for $149 that is basically just like a stock lever- it's machined all one piece, steel pivot ball. This is what I was hoping to get since I need to do some work on it anyways.

I don't need the rubber isolation "stick-inside-a-stick" crap, just a good solid lever and a pivot ball that's actually round. That and I plan on using a die to cut 12mm x 1.75 threads on it to use a threaded knob so it won't come off like it does now when I try and nail 2nd gear.

The race therefore is just what I need. They unfortunately only list it for E30,E36 and E46 BMWs. I don't know all the dimensions and interchangability of the various year shift levers or I might try the race just to see if I can get it to work.

I have just the BMW SSK lever only (from tischer) FWIW.

I thought they used the stock carrier with the EVO3- the difference is they use another carrier adapter inside that for their "effort reduction" (line up the selector rod more evenly with the trans) kit. I don't understand what part of the EVO3 doesn't work with the XI and why.

BB
Keep us updated on your progress if this works.
      11-19-2008, 03:55 AM   #10
jimmy330xi
Captain
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: '06 330xI, '04 YZF R1

Interesting info. I think I'm going to hold for now until I find one that actually works withthe xi without issues. Waiting to see if the EVO3 is better.

'06 330Xi, '04 CBR600RR, '04 YZF-R1, '06CBR600RR, '10 S1000RR
M-tech, Injen, Hamann, Remus, KW, Breyton
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2008, 10:22 PM   #11
jgalaxy
Gearing
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, F22 M240

I have it on my 335xi as well and it is a little better than the original shifter. The knob is a little small (I switched back to the OEM knob) and the alcatera boot is dust magnet. Any kind of fast shifting is terrible and often leads to mishifts. But if you are looking for something better for every day driving it is an inexpensive alternative. 1st to 2nd for me is fine, 2nd to 3rd under heavy/hard shift often gets me jammed between 3rd/5th or a mishift into 5th. Same thing down shifting. Not meant for any serious performance.
      11-20-2008, 12:16 PM   #12
NM_BMW
Vishnu Powered
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgalaxy View Post
I have it on my 335xi as well and it is a little better than the original shifter. The knob is a little small (I switched back to the OEM knob) and the alcatera boot is dust magnet. Any kind of fast shifting is terrible and often leads to mishifts. But if you are looking for something better for every day driving it is an inexpensive alternative. 1st to 2nd for me is fine, 2nd to 3rd under heavy/hard shift often gets me jammed between 3rd/5th or a mishift into 5th. Same thing down shifting. Not meant for any serious performance.
+1 the only shift I have problems with is the 1 - 2 shift. If I'm trying to shift quickly I miss the gate. I didn't buy the SSK. I just got the lever and bought M shift knob and boot. It is a weighted knob and has a leather boot.
      11-30-2008, 07:43 AM   #13
cycler
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Yes you do have to drop the tranfer case with the UUC. But its well worth it.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2008, 09:17 PM   #14
CV335
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 MCS

Quote:
I had the bmw ssk in my 335xi and hated shifting from 1st to 2nd. Then i bought the UUC ssk and it is amazing.
I was debating between buying BMW's SSK or UUC, but you just confirmed what I read from others: UUC is the way to go. Did you put back the stock knob/boot? Or you bought an aftermarket one? I've seen many stores selling the knobs, but I'm wondering if I'm going to be able to use the stock boot and just by the knob. Suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2008, 10:04 PM   #15
cycler
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CV335 View Post
I was debating between buying BMW's SSK or UUC, but you just confirmed what I read from others: UUC is the way to go. Did you put back the stock knob/boot? Or you bought an aftermarket one? I've seen many stores selling the knobs, but I'm wondering if I'm going to be able to use the stock boot and just by the knob. Suggestions?
I put back the stock boot but I bought their big ass round leather shift knob. Its nice and heavy and its works perfectly with the shifter. I think its the RKA6-L. You cant go wrong with this setup. It might cost more than the bmw ssk but look at it this way. you get what you pay for and bmw dropped the ball on this one.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2008, 11:53 PM   #16
CV335
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 MCS

Quote:
I put back the stock boot but I bought their big ass round leather shift knob. Its nice and heavy and its works perfectly with the shifter. I think its the RKA6-L. You cant go wrong with this setup. It might cost more than the bmw ssk but look at it this way. you get what you pay for and bmw dropped the ball on this one.
If no mods are required for the boot I'll keep the stock one. I'm going to make the order on Monday. Most probably I'll get the RK7A-L knob...I find it to be less slippery with leather on it. Thanks for the feedback
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2008, 06:37 AM   #17
cycler
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CV335 View Post
If no mods are required for the boot I'll keep the stock one. I'm going to make the order on Monday. Most probably I'll get the RK7A-L knob...I find it to be less slippery with leather on it. Thanks for the feedback
Tell them you read a review about their ssk on E90post by cycler aka Aaron. Let them know that Ive been writing about them every chance I get and see if they give you a discount on it. I dont get anything from it but if it helps you guys get a discount so be it.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2008, 04:07 PM   #18
BavarianBullet
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Tell them you read a review about their ssk on E90post by cycler aka Aaron. Let them know that Ive been writing about them every chance I get and see if they give you a discount on it. I dont get anything from it but if it helps you guys get a discount so be it.
Cycler, I'd be interested in hearing more about your experience with the UUC SSK, in particular anything re the install.

I'm considering buy the UUC as the 1-2 shift crappiness is getting to me (I have the BMW SSK- lever only).

Having installed my own BMW SSK and read all of the UUC docs about their shifter, I can't understand why one has to drop the transfer case to install on a 335XI. I don't doubt it may be necessary, but I can't grasp why with my current understanding of how shifters can be installed and what the UUC shifter seems to need.

TIA

BB
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2008, 06:58 AM   #19
cycler
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Cycler, I'd be interested in hearing more about your experience with the UUC SSK, in particular anything re the install.

I'm considering buy the UUC as the 1-2 shift crappiness is getting to me (I have the BMW SSK- lever only).

Having installed my own BMW SSK and read all of the UUC docs about their shifter, I can't understand why one has to drop the transfer case to install on a 335XI. I don't doubt it may be necessary, but I can't grasp why with my current understanding of how shifters can be installed and what the UUC shifter seems to need.

TIA

BB

There is a hexogon nut in the middle of the shifter. It controls the tightness of the shifter linkage. The looser it is the easier the shift. But be careful when you loosen it. Go in incraments of like 1/4 inch at a time to either tighten or loosen it. I loosened mine up a bit and m shifts from 1st to 2nd are great and during other shifts you cant even feel its a stick shift.

I cant really answer your question on to much detail as to why is has to be dropped but it is my understanding that there is too much going on , on an xi as compared to a non xi.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2008, 12:35 PM   #20
NM_BMW
Vishnu Powered
United_States
Rep

I believe it has to be dropped because the UUC shifter utilizes a different carrier. So you have to take out the stock carrier and replace it with UUC's. The only way to do this is from underneath the car and there isn't enough room to take it out unless you drop the transfer case. You can't just swap levers like with the BMW SSK lever. I wish it was that easy.