ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > Z4 DIY (Do It Yourself) Articles
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

10-30-2008, 09:32 AM   #1
sniry
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 08 3.0si z4 roadster

bmw paintwork cleaner and hard wax

hi , i got the bmw paintwork cleaner http://stephenjamesparts.co.uk/epage...20408%20528%22
and the bmw hardwax http://stephenjamesparts.co.uk/epage...20411%20238%22
from the local dealer . i am a bit comfused of the function of it , i was told the paintwork cleaner cleans minor scratches, like polish but without taking a lair off the paint(like polish) .. i saw on the net that the paintwork cleaner is for old paint/non metalic ..my paint is 10 month old and isnt metalic (alpine white) , so should i use the paintwork claner and than the wax ? just the wax ?
and how do i use it ?
thanks in advance
snir
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2008, 02:13 PM   #2
xg3
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: Was 03 Z4, now 10 GTI

i guess the cleaner is what often people would call polisher, or liquid polish.

and wax is wax...

take a plastic bag, put ur hand in it. Don't masturbate... and slide it across the surface of your pain. Does it feels like sandpaper? If it does, go buy a clay bar and clay it. The paint cleaner might do something.

Then wax it when it feels smooth. i never dealt with BMW care products. I use Klasse AIO and Sealants.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2008, 09:13 PM   #3
sniry
Enlisted Member
Rep

hi , thanks for the answer . the thing is that i wanted to avoid polishing the car coz i know polish takes a minor layer of the car paint and the car is only 10 months old ... so the dealer said the paintwork cleaner isnt a polish(thats another product)and that it does polish work with out taking of the paint .. any way i think that because my paint was never treated with any wax layer it did got little "sandy" and when you look really close in the sunlight you can spot tiny spots on the paint ..

another question - can i use the cleaner and wax on plastic panels such as the bumpers ?
thanks !!
snir
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2008, 10:01 PM   #4
mpower03
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 z4 M Coupe

are these black spots? If so, i had the same problem with mine. I had black spots all over my alpine white paint, and the car was new when i bought it. It took a lot of hard work to get about 90% of the spots out. I clayed my car and then applied wax every weekend for the nezt 3 weeks and now my paint is excellent shape. When the car is dirty from the road the paint just shines right through the dust and dirt. I would clay your car, it took a lot of time to get the spots out.
      10-31-2008, 04:13 AM   #5
sniry
Enlisted Member
Rep

hi, black spots , brown spots ..i tried you rub it with a simple turtle wax i had before the bmw product(wich i havnt try yet)and it did got like 70 % off in the area i rubed , so i believe the bmw product sould do something too .. i just want to know if its safe to use on the relative new paint ..

sorry but what do you mean by "clay" the car ?
thanks !
snir
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2008, 11:19 AM   #6
xg3
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: Was 03 Z4, now 10 GTI

clay bar.. google it.. buy some clay bar, use some soapy water... and rub the clay over the surface of your car until is smooth... and wax.

Polish does remove some of the clear coat, but it depends what kind of polishes you use. AIO is not very aggressive... everyone uses it...
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2008, 12:26 PM   #7
sniry
Enlisted Member
Rep

hi thanks for the answer , i have the bmw original paintwork cleaner ..the dealer said its even more gentle than polish ...
Appreciate 0