E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > bmw performance brake kit

10-24-2008, 04:07 PM   #1
acerboo
Brigadier General
England
Rep
Drives: e92 335d lci

bmw performance brake kit

has anyone fitted the bmw performance brake kit to a335d is it much better than standard is it worth the cost?
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2008, 07:09 PM   #2
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by acerboo View Post
has anyone fitted the bmw performance brake kit to a335d is it much better than standard is it worth the cost?
Speak to Ian (HotCoupe) - he has the BMW BBK on his 335d. I used to have the same kit on my 335i, and whilst it was fine on the road and autobahn, it didn't hold up so well hot-lapping around the 'Ring. So I've now changed to AP Racing 6pots...!

The other issue I had with them (at the time) was availability of aftermarket brake pads - the BMW BBK uses the same pad as that which comes as standard on the 135i. However, the supplied pads with the BBK are standard spec Jurid 310 pads (which can be bettered considerably). To make the BBK come alive IMO, you need to upgrade the pads to something like Ferodo DS2500 or Pagid 421. At the time I had the BMW BBK, these pads just weren't available, and so I had to have custom pads machined up to fit (as I destroyed the supplied Jurid pads after three or four laps of the 'Ring )

Now the pad situation is different, with the Pagid pads becoming available. I suggested to Ian (Hotcoupe) that to get the most out of the BBK he should invest in a pad upgrade - whether or not he has done it yet I don't know...
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2008, 12:24 PM   #3
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by E92Fan View Post
Now the pad situation is different, with the Pagid pads becoming available. I suggested to Ian (Hotcoupe) that to get the most out of the BBK he should invest in a pad upgrade - whether or not he has done it yet I don't know...
Not as yet done Tony,but I've heard Ant can now get the pads and hoses, so it will be done soon.

Acer: Yes it is worth the money, especially if you have the MPG modification thats available and taking advantage of it's consequence!
There were several occasions when I found the standard brakes wanting, and the upgrade gives more confidence when faced with the unexpected, or your perceived skill behind the wheel falls short of expectation.
The Pagid's will however make the upgrade complete.

I only have the front BBK, I believe 'Spin' has both front and back, and I think 'Mark11' has had the BBK fitted this week by Ant.

http://shop.speedreligion.net/bmw-pe...ucts-387-c.asp

Top outfit, with customer service that's second to none

Appreciate 0
      10-25-2008, 12:29 PM   #4
kuvesh
Lieutenant
Singapore
Rep
Drives: e92 335i juiced

i know these brakes can be fitted to a 335 but i am finding it hard to get my head around why anyone to do this? these bmw performance brakes were built for a 1-series which is a lot smaller / lighter than a 335. Just doesnt seem right.

have seen other posts saying that bmw is developing a kit for the 335 - i would wait for that...

HAMANN FRONT APRON, SIDES, ROOF SPOILER & QUAD DIFFUSER | VORSTEINER VRS TRUNK | CSC3 ON 19” ADVAN RS | BREMBO GT BBK | BASTUCK QUAD | KW V2 | JB3 v1.3s beta | BMW PERFORMANCE STEERING WHEEL | M3 SIDE MIRRORS | M5 SMG SHIFT KNOB | BLACKOUT GRILLS | PARTIALLY SMOKED LIGHTS | WINDOW TINT
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2008, 05:12 PM   #5
acerboo
Brigadier General
England
Rep

bmw have informed me that it does not do the performance brake kit for the 335 as it is no different to the original equipment (except for the obvious drilled/grooved discs) and that also goes for the 135i the one series and 330 3 series down have smaller brakes so the performance brakes are a viable upgrade i am currently looking at fitting tarox drilled and grooved discs and retaining the original calipers which should improve cooling
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2008, 04:29 AM   #6
Mark II
The Grim Reapers Love Child
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW e92 M-Sport Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by acerboo View Post
bmw have informed me that it does not do the performance brake kit for the 335 as it is no different to the original equipment (except for the obvious drilled/grooved discs) and that also goes for the 135i
Hi Acerboo,

It's true that BMW are not fitting the kits to some of the larger engined models but that doesn't mean they can't be fitted and whoever advised you that this was because the Performance Brake Kit was 'no different to the original equipment' on a 335 was talking twoddle.

The standard e92 335i/335d use a single piston sliding caliper and vented disks with plain face, so the Performance Brake Kit would offer an immediate improvement in specification: Straight away you would have six pistons clamping the pads to the disk (instead of one) - giving better alignment of the pads to the disk, more stopping power and better pedal feel (especially if you fitted Goodridge braided hoses in place of the OEM rubber hoses). There would also be less chance of brake fade (if you use the brakes on track) due to greater heat dissipation across the larger caliper area. Last but not least, as the new calipers are made from aluminium you would also reduce unsprung mass. The drilled, slotted and vented design of the disks also offer advantages over the original plain face vented disks.

Granted, upgrading a 135i would make less sense (as that model already has the 6 piston calipers) and the only real advantage there would be to move to the drilled, slotted disks and upgrade the pads and hoses.

I guess it all depends what you want to do with the car and what your expectations are for stopping power and brake control. IMHO: If you just fit the Tarox disks and retain your standard single piston calipers then you will not see the full benefit.

If you are interested in having the BMW BBK fitted to your car then speak to Ant at Speed Religion - he has fitted the full kit onto my car and the only other brake upgrade I might now want would be the Pagid pads.

http://shop.speedreligion.net/about-...ontact-1-w.asp

HTH

Previous: e92 M-Sport. TiAg. Black Dakota. Creamy 6cyl diesel. Stage II Tune. Performance exhaust. K&N. Auto+paddles. Quaife LSD. BMW BBK+Cool Carbon S/T. Goodridge. 19" Breyton Race GTS. Vredesteins. M3 lip. Prof nav. Xenons. Voice. Sun protection. Pdc. etc..
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2008, 12:22 PM   #7
Spin
fast Cars are safer
England
Rep
Drives: 335d M Sport Coupe

I have the full conversion on my car and it makes a massive difference, not immediatley as they have to bed in but the pedal is now extremely progressive, basically if you want to stop quicker, press harder. The car remains composed when braking from high speeds and IMO is well worth the money plus has the benefits of being 'insurance friendly' with the OEM look and BMW branding.

Aesthetically they are superb, I have lost count how many times cars passing me on the motorway have slowed down and taken a glance at the brakes whilst in motion.

I'm picking up the second car tomorrow a 130i 3 door which will have the upgrade as soon as I have the money, I've decided to have the Performance exhaust first so I can appreciate the sound of the straight 6.

"Fast Cars are Safer..."
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2008, 05:34 PM   #8
acerboo
Brigadier General
England
Rep

thanks to both the last two comments
Appreciate 0