BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

European Auto Source (EAS)

10-22-2008, 05:19 PM   #1
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Intensive HPDE at NHMS

I was at a BMW CCA event last Friday. 3.5 hours of track time in one day. Two groups of students and an instructor group. 1x30 and 3x45 minute sessions. I haven't been on the track for 45 minutes non-stop, and it was a really eye opening experience. It really does wipe you out, especially if you do it 3 times with 45 minute breaks in the middle.

I was driving solo in run group 2 (intermediate), and the instructors were free to go out in their cars with either group 1 or 2, which leads to cars with significant speed differential on the track (no beginners or novices, groups 3 or 4), which was meant to simulate endurance driving conditions. Will Turner showed up in the Turner E90 M3, and gave us some pointers about endurance driving during lunch, which was informative. Talked about how to preserve the car and yourself. You'll see me giving him a point by in the clip, and to the instructor who was chasing him. They are both very good. You'll also see a GTR in my run group in the video. Its owner was clearly not pushing it to its potential though.

I had a fresh set of PSCs on the car. A huge improvement over the PS2s. Things still got mushy after about 30 minutes of hard driving though, and I learned a great deal about how to preserve the tires.

I did the first session with MDM, and then turned DSC off completely. The MDM lap turned out to be a second faster (this was a non-timed event since it was a driving school, so I am judging from the video). Mainly because I was being careful with the car with DSC off, and partially because of traffic.

[u2b]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/L5ZBA2aqgAA&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/L5ZBA2aqgAA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/u2b]

Last edited by lucid; 11-02-2008 at 08:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2008, 06:16 PM   #2
consolidated
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
Good video. How much time were you able to drop from PS2 to MSC?

It may just be the video but it looks like a lot of protective walls to hit if one went off-track. Did you notice what sized wheels and tires the Turner M3 had, he was smokin'.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2008, 07:18 PM   #3
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by consolidated View Post
Good video. How much time were you able to drop from PS2 to MSC?
I'd say around a second per lap. The real impact is on durability. The PS2s got all mushy after about 10 minutes of hard driving.

Quote:
It may just be the video but it looks like a lot of protective walls to hit if one went off-track.
Unfortunately, you are correct. It is not a forgiving track. That's why I won't turn DSC off when I don't have track insurance.

Quote:
Did you notice what sized wheels and tires the Turner M3 had, he was smokin'.
I'm pretty sure he was running 8x10 Forgeline wheels with 275/35-18 BF Goodrich R1s all around.

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html...ct_e90m3.shtml

The wheels look nicer than I expected. The car also had Supersprint exhaust and H&R springs. He really smoked past me on the straight in the vid partially because I lifted to let my instructor go as well, who was behind him. I didn't get a chance to time him from the sidelines. That would have been informative as to what a tricked out M3 with a pro driver can do.
      10-22-2008, 07:32 PM   #4
M2381
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, GTI

Look like a blast! Really hope I can go to a track soon
      10-25-2008, 11:59 PM   #5
ace996
NASA/PDA Instructor
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92M3

Great video and nice driving!!! It was especially nice to see NHIS, as it was my first ever time on a track...a two day school with my old Ducati 996. I will never forget the feeling of the bowl and charging through the esses into the downhill left.

Please post more vids when you can.

Be good,
TomK

"Arcadian, I've fought countless times, yet I've never met an adversary who could offer me what we Spartans call "A Beautiful Death." I can only hope, with all the world's warriors gathered against us, there might be one down there who's up to the task."Μολὼν λαβέ!!
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2008, 08:53 PM   #6
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace996 View Post
Great video and nice driving!!! It was especially nice to see NHIS, as it was my first ever time on a track...a two day school with my old Ducati 996. I will never forget the feeling of the bowl and charging through the esses into the downhill left.

Please post more vids when you can.

Be good,
TomK
The bowl is sure a lot of fun. Need to experience it in person to appreciate the elevation change (down and up) while breaking, turning, and climbing. I am turning a bit too early. I need another meter or so before dialing it in. I have more video, but need to digitize first. The track is bumpy though. It must be though to deal with on a motorbike, especially out of turn 10 down the hill.
      10-26-2008, 10:56 PM   #7
ace996
NASA/PDA Instructor
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
The bowl is sure a lot of fun. Need to experience it in person to appreciate the elevation change (down and up) while breaking, turning, and climbing. I am turning a bit too early. I need another meter or so before dialing it in. I have more video, but need to digitize first. The track is bumpy though. It must be though to deal with on a motorbike, especially out of turn 10 down the hill.
Next to Watkins Glenn...NHIS is my favorite...it has everything - elevation, twisties, straights...and that Bowl...felt like I could drag my ear in that turn.

Yes, there was a bump just at the end of the downhill left, just at the start of the right hander. They had an air-bag wall there, on top of the armco, to keep us from cutting it too close or hitting too hard. Well, I decide togo inside a little too close and nicked my helmet on the airbag wall...cracked a vent on my helmet!!! I never forgot the sick feeling I had after that mind-fart....closest I ever came to...well, you know.
Needless to say I didn't cut that corner ever again.

We await more footage!!!
-TomK

"Arcadian, I've fought countless times, yet I've never met an adversary who could offer me what we Spartans call "A Beautiful Death." I can only hope, with all the world's warriors gathered against us, there might be one down there who's up to the task."Μολὼν λαβέ!!
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2008, 03:38 PM   #8
Ryan239
Private
Rep
Drives: SO F80, AW 135

Lucid,
good laps! I was just up at NHMS this weekend with COM in my E92, getting a feel for the car. I ran the PS2s but did swap out the front pads for Hawk HP Plus to deal with the heat a little better than the stockers. The car was quite balanced out of the box, and definitely quick. I would have loved to run on a set of PSCs but I have a race car already, so this weekend was just a 'fun' run. I managed a 1:21.7 on Sunday during our time trials, on a pretty clean lap, but the stock tires definitely kept me back from more in the T3-T4 uphill, and where you got a little sideways in T7.

If you want some more seat time, we have spots available for next weekend and NHMS, although registration closes tonight. Check out http://www.comscc.org for details if you want an end-of-the season event. We do a DE on Saturday and Time Trials on Sunday. I'll be instructing, but won't have the M3 unless I can't get my Civic ready this week.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2008, 06:16 PM   #9
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan239 View Post
managed a 1:21.7 on Sunday during our time trials, on a pretty clean lap, but the stock tires definitely kept me back from more in the T3-T4 uphill, and where you got a little sideways in T7.
Hey Ryan. The uphill sections puzzle me somewhat. I see lighter cars with lower power/weight find more traction in those sections for some reason and slightly pull away, especially between T3-T4. The PSC helped a bit there, but I still cannot go WOT up the hill until I am about to run out of 2nd gear at the crest no matter how gentle I am with easing onto the throttle. I watched the Turner car have issues on that slope as well, and it had 8X10 wheels/track rubber plus H&R springs.

Thanks for the info on the event this weekend. I am aware of it, but will not be able to make it. I went through a set of Carbotech front pads in the last two track days, and had to put the stock pads back on, and I think I am pretty much done for the season. My instructor said the car is heavy and I should go for RS29s. What do you think?

We should meet up next season. Are you thinking about going to Mt. Tremblant? I missed it this year...
      10-29-2008, 07:14 AM   #10
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace996 View Post
Well, I decide togo inside a little too close and nicked my helmet on the airbag wall...cracked a vent on my helmet!!! I never forgot the sick feeling I had after that mind-fart....closest I ever came to...well, you know.
Needless to say I didn't cut that corner ever again.
I can't believe you clipped the damn wall there. I flagged at that corner this summer, and I know how everything looks. Your were lucky in that you did not to leave your head behind!
      11-09-2008, 12:57 PM   #11
Speedtrap
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: A very fast car :)

Thanks for sharing
      11-11-2008, 08:56 PM   #12
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Guys, check out the Turner E92 M3 here on MHMS. The guy's 3 seconds faster with passenger than I am by myself (well, I guess R rubber and mods make up for the lack of passenger). I sure wish I could drive like that.

P.S. Make sure to watch 3:28.

[u2b]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JAu55eDgH80&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JAu55eDgH80&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/u2b]
      11-12-2008, 12:03 AM   #13
Irb Digital
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M E90 MANual Jerez

Great stuff......is that a fox body mustang in the first vid? Oh and the driver in the Turner E90 is crazy, GOOD, but crazy. I don't think I'd be doing the passenger thing after a lap like that (3:28).
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2008, 06:36 AM   #14
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Yes, that is a fox body mustang.

Will Turner is driving the Turner car in the second vid. Clearly, he has excellent car control skills. It was an exhibition lap, so that's why he is doing what he is doing I guess. He would go even faster if he drove straight. I wouldn't dare to try any of those stunts going in and out of corners at such speeds. It all looks so easy on the video with a pro driver. I bet the guy in the passenger seat wet his pants indeed.
      11-12-2008, 10:23 AM   #15
DJ9
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3_SG

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Sweet vids there. Still unclear as to what happend at 3:28....all I hear is the passenger freaking out when the M closed in on the old 3'er.

Anyhow looks like you have a nice weekend as well.

2008 E92M3-Space Gray
Eisenmann Sport Exhaust_MT/Loaded
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2008, 06:12 PM   #16
sfbimmer13
Original Bavarian Heritage
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 DCT

looks like you had fun - good for you

thanks for posting the videos...
      11-12-2008, 06:58 PM   #17
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ9 View Post
Sweet vids there. Still unclear as to what happend at 3:28....all I hear is the passenger freaking out when the M closed in on the old 3'er.

Anyhow looks like you have a nice weekend as well.
It seemed like he was going to bump him, but I don't think he did.

Hope your ABS problem is fixed btw.
      11-12-2008, 06:59 PM   #18
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfbimmer13 View Post
looks like you had fun - good for you

thanks for posting the videos...
Don't know what I'll do until April/May. I miss living in the bay area badly...
      11-13-2008, 12:14 PM   #19
DJ9
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3_SG

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
It seemed like he was going to bump him, but I don't think he did.

Hope your ABS problem is fixed btw.
That's what I thought, still nothing abnormal at the track Looks like you had a blast that day though!

ABS problem has been corrected. System shut off due to "metal debris on sensor." Not sure how much I buy it, but now I have new sensors and pads covered under warranty

2008 E92M3-Space Gray
Eisenmann Sport Exhaust_MT/Loaded
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2008, 01:55 PM   #20
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That's what I thought, still nothing abnormal at the track
Well, he looked like he was going to do it intentionaly.

Quote:
ABS problem has been corrected. System shut off due to "metal debris on sensor." Not sure how much I buy it, but now I have new sensors and pads covered under warranty
Good to hear that was fixed. Not sure why they gave you new pads though?