XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

10-20-2008, 06:21 PM   #1
tjnptel1
Cunning Linguist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Selling the X5..

How much would i get for my 2008 4.8?

I have almost every option in the book except for Heads Up display. The car has only 2,000 miles on the odo. With a 2nd baby on the way, we need to get a more practical vehicle i.e. a minivan.
      10-21-2008, 08:33 PM   #2
pmeloche
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 F25 X3 xDrive35i

I traded in my 06 X5 4.4i after 14 months for an 07 X5 4.8i and I lost a lot in the trade. A private sale will reduce that loss but not by much. Why don't you keep the X5? The X5 can support two young kids IMO.

Cheers.

Patrice
2013 F25 X3 xDrive35i Vermillion Red
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2008, 08:20 PM   #3
tjnptel1
Cunning Linguist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmeloche View Post
I traded in my 06 X5 4.4i after 14 months for an 07 X5 4.8i and I lost a lot in the trade. A private sale will reduce that loss but not by much. Why don't you keep the X5? The X5 can support two young kids IMO.

Cheers.
not with two strollers and baggage.. the trunk is very very disappointing small.

time for a minivan.
      10-31-2008, 09:47 AM   #4
clubspec330i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MG F39, CB F86, MB 911T

Minivan..oh man..you will cry everyday missing your X5.

X5 fits 2 trollers just fine. Don't get a cheap-o-stroller, those things are heavy and waste your trunk space. I let my wife pick..X5 or Siena? Do you know what she picked? You guess it, X5 4.8.. Mind you, I pick up my 2 and 4 years old from preschool in E90 M3 everyday..no prob.

Please..no minivan..
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2008, 11:38 AM   #5
Grover432
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 535 XDrive

I have one child and we hope to have another. I'm shopping for a utility vehicle that will get all of our stuff out to the lake and back at the start and end of the season. I agree that the interior storgae space of the X5 is not great, it has at least as much space as my wife's Honda Accord.

No one in our family wants to drive a mini van and they get poor fuel mileage to boot. In Canada, the local dealers tell me mini van sales are off by 40% this year even though car sales are only down about 2%. There has been a shift away from mini vans to SAV's The new Toyota Venza is an example of a vehicle to take over some flagging sales from the Highlander and Sienna. Again, nothing beats a mini van for space and storage, but I think you can make it with a non mini van choice until you hit child #3.

I think we're going to go the X35d route, add a trailer hitch and buy a utility trailer to get the bikes and other stuff out to the lake at the begining of the season. We'll use the X5 to pull the Sea Doo trailer as well.

It may not be ideal, but it beats driving a mini van unless you have to. If that isn't enough, when you determine what your X5 with a 4.8 is not worth given the summer's fuel prices and the current year end ease offers from BMW, I think you'll find the pain might be more than you are willing to bear.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2008, 12:54 PM   #6
jbeene
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 16 435i GC

Ah the devolutionary cycle of the family vehicle.

We went from a Subaru Legacy GT stick, to an Odyssey when the kids were real small and had all the associated detritus that goes along with them. Then we went to a Volvo XC90 (x2) for the AWD and safety aspects, then we went to an 08 Sequioa which is huge but...

Now that the kids are a little older I think we can get away with a slightly smaller vehicle so I'm in the market for an X5 4.8. They don't have so much crap to go along now and they are all pretty self contained. Youngest is almost 6, oldest is 10. We also have a 21 cubic foot roof box for long trips.

We lasted 3 years in the van, 3 more years in the Volvos (first one was lemoned) and now I think the massive Toyota is total overkill.

As soon as the Sequioa goes down the road we are getting an X5.

I'm counting the days...but I feel your pain in toasting the X5. Maybe you should get my massive Sequioa and I shold take your X5!
      12-13-2008, 01:02 PM   #7
jbeene
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 16 435i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover432 View Post

but I think you can make it with a non mini van choice until you hit child #3.

I.
A minivan with 3 kids sucks, you lose all of the cargo space by having to have all three rows up all the time. Granted the split seat in the 3rd row helps but who wants their kid riding with the cargo.

Aside from hating minivans this is the reason we went with an SUV with a bench seat. The integrated booster seat in the Volvo is also brilliant when you have to have 2 car seats and a booster. No scraped knuckles for dad while doing up the seatbelt on the booster.

A year after getting the Toyota I can see now that all that happens is we take extra stuff along. If I'd have known it was goiong to get that much better I would have just suffered an extra year in the Volvo.