F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > NBT Evo from NBT
Studio RSR

02-02-2021, 02:35 PM   #1
Caracal
Romania
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d GT

NBT Evo from NBT

Hello,

I have an F34 with NBT navigation system (8.8" screen, touch iDrive controller) and would like to retrofit to NBT Evo.

Just wanted to ask if it's possible to do it and what it's needed. From this forum I already found that I can keep my NBT screen (by adding a voltage regulator - apex1 9 volts on NBT vs apex2 12 volts on NBT Evo). I'm pretty sure that I need to change the iDrive controller, but what else I need? It's the same harness?

Already managed to get my hands on a NBT Evo HU, but something tells me that it's an US unit (based on the codes found on it and searched on google) and I live in Europe. I don't know if it matters.

Also, what's the thing with the GPS connector that my NBT Evo doesn't have? How does it get GPS signal? I read something about ATM modules, but I'm lost there.

I want to get into this trouble just for CarPlay (OEM solution). I'm sick of phone holders

Thanks.

Last edited by Caracal; 02-11-2021 at 09:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2021, 12:56 PM   #2
chhappy7
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: TBD

Tbh if it's just or CarPlay, I'd suggest going for Andream or similar units. If you wanted to do a full NBT Evo retrofit, that's another story. But with a full NBT Evo retrofit, it'll cost some extra to get the hardware necessary to make the GPS work.
There are many posts on the topic on this forum and you can look at some of the vendor listings like retrofitmybimemr or codemybimmer to see what kind of stuff it may require, but the way you are taking is definitely not the easiest way to get CarPlay, but if you're hard stuck on getting the OEM solution a la NBT Evo retrofit, then it will be more work than just hardware swap.
      02-03-2021, 03:03 PM   #3
Caracal
Romania
Rep

Thank you.
I'm a fan of OEM stuff, but if I don't manage to get this working, maybe will take a look at Andream, even tho' I don't like the idea of having like "2 navi systems".
Also, I find this very challenging )
If it doesn't work, well, I tried. The HU was free, so no harm done, really. Maybe I'll lose some when I start buying other things and realise it doesn't worth.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2021, 11:24 PM   #4
steve@codemybimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Hong Kong
Rep

Drives: 2020 G20 320i M Sport

Garage List
That's a euro unit given that it has the DAB ports.

If you're just looking to use that for just Apple CarPlay, it would just need coding and a voltage regulated screen cable to be able to use your original 8.8" screen.
Online Store | Remote Coding Package| ID6 Retrofit for almost all F Chassis BMWs
Appreciate 1
      02-04-2021, 01:49 AM   #5
Caracal
Romania
Rep

Yes, meanwhile I figure it out that it's an European unit. I was miss lead by the fact that it has HDRadio and Sirius and thought this is only in the US. Anyway, it even says on it "Version: ECE" ) I feel dumb.

Yes, Apple CarPlay is what I want, but if I do this, I want to do it the right way and with everything working, even CD services.

Based on what I found until now, seems that I need:
- iDrive Controller
- NBT Evo - ATM harness (connecting ATM module with NBT Evo)
- ATM module (for GPS/Internet services)
- CAN filter (to hide HU VIN to the car)
- Voltage regulator for the screen (it matters that I don't have touch screen, but the unit is ID 6?)
- coding

Did I missed something?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2021, 11:48 AM   #6
steve@codemybimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Hong Kong
Rep

Drives: 2020 G20 320i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caracal View Post
Yes, meanwhile I figure it out that it's an European unit. I was miss lead by the fact that it has HDRadio and Sirius and thought this is only in the US. Anyway, it even says on it "Version: ECE" ) I feel dumb.

Yes, Apple CarPlay is what I want, but if I do this, I want to do it the right way and with everything working, even CD services.

Based on what I found until now, seems that I need:
- iDrive Controller
- NBT Evo - ATM harness (connecting ATM module with NBT Evo)
- ATM module (for GPS/Internet services)
- CAN filter (to hide HU VIN to the car)
- Voltage regulator for the screen (it matters that I don't have touch screen, but the unit is ID 6?)
- coding

Did I missed something?
- iDrive Controller (Optional but not required, your nav or non-nav control can work just fine)
- NBT Evo - ATM harness (connecting ATM module with NBT Evo) --- If you intend on keeping GPS and ConnectedDrive
- ATM module (for GPS/Internet services) ""
- CAN filter (to hide HU VIN to the car) --- If you decide to go the ATM route yes
- Voltage regulator for the screen (it matters that I don't have touch screen, but the unit is ID 6?) --- This would only be required if you intend on using your pre-existing NBT screen
- coding --- Yes
Online Store | Remote Coding Package| ID6 Retrofit for almost all F Chassis BMWs
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2021, 12:07 PM   #7
Caracal
Romania
Rep

Thanks a lot Steve for your reply!
Meanwhile I got a new suggestion to trade my NBT Evo ID6 for another NBT Evo with GPS port on the back (blue connector). From my understanding, this is a simpler solution for the retrofit as there's no need for ATM module.
But the coding will be made with the HU on the bench and cannot be made with the HU installed, as all the coding is made through OBAR port.
This means that the HU will not be seen in E-SYS?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2021, 04:56 PM   #8
J555
Captain
Rep
Drives: F31 LCI 340iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve@codemybimmer View Post
- iDrive Controller (Optional but not required, your nav or non-nav control can work just fine)
Correct, as your new HU can be easily coded to work well with your current controller. However, depending on your HU the media/radio buttons will trigger the same function of ID6.

I suggest spending few more bucks on the new version of the controller in order to get the correct button mapping and better direct access (media/com/map/nav). In case you do not have the touch controller, this is also the opportunity to get it...
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2021, 01:42 PM   #9
Caracal
Romania
Rep

So. if everything is OK with my HU, I think I'll go with ATM emulator. Just found some local guys who know what they are talking about
I can keep my screen if the I-Level on NBT Evo is below 19-07. I can also keep the iDrive controller (at some point, I will change it).

What I don't get it now is what happens with diagnosis. I understood that NBT Evo users OABR port for this, but for coding/diagnosis will require to take off car HU? Also, is there a way of wiring changing for this so it will be available on E-SYS?
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2021, 10:52 AM   #10
Caracal
Romania
Rep

Checked unit on bench test and it's ok, even coded already for Apix1. So I'm thinking to connect it on the car and write the car's VIN on Evo, but I don't know if that's possible or E-SYS will not "see" the unit. I don't know if I need to do something at this step.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2023, 01:55 PM   #11
zae.clover
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i GT

Garage List
I also need help with this. I had a nbt and now I have a nbt evo but I haven’t gotten it reprogrammed yet because I’m not fully sure what all that I needed. I want to use Apple CarPlay as well along with the gps but my HU doesn’t have a gps connection and do I need the TCU from diner car to get gps? And is it possible that I can get the rest of the parts and connect them after getting it reprogrammed to my vin?
Appreciate 0