E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Clicking sound after timing chain replacement

10-30-2020, 02:19 AM   #1
tokenize
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i

Clicking sound after timing chain replacement

Hello guys,

I've recently changed the timing chain on my BMW E90 320i with the N46B20 engine. After all was done, I've started up the car and the engine seems to run fine in idle. However, I hear a clicking sound which I suspect may be related with VANOS.

Is there any procedure that must be followed on INPA after changing the timing chain to reset the VANOS sensors or something like that? I keep reading about resetting the INPA adaptions but I don't know what that is or if it's related with this.

Also, I checked every telemetry from the sensors on INPA and the only one that seems to be off is some readings which seem to be related with VANOS or the camshafts. I attached a picture with this.

Any thoughts or help is appreciated.

Best
Attached Images

Last edited by tokenize; 10-30-2020 at 03:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2020, 06:58 PM   #2
e91Owner
e91Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91 & 2010 e60

Try checking/asking on the international forums. You'll likely have better luck with an N46 engine there.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2020, 11:27 AM   #3
tokenize
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by e91Owner View Post
Try checking/asking on the international forums. You'll likely have better luck with an N46 engine there.
Which one exactly? I thought this one was international?

Meanwhile I have another issue. I'm getting two strange error codes on my E90 with N46B20 engine that relate with VANOS: 2A83 and 2A88.

Thus far I've replaced the VANOS Solenoids and both camshafts positioning sensors but the issue persists. I've also took to chance to check the timing on the engine and it seems perfect. Next step would be to replace both camshaft VANOS adjusters but that's really expensive and I'm afraid it won't fix the problem even though it's the only part left to replace of the whole VANOS system.

Anyone knows if this might be related with the camshafts adaptions being out of range?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2020, 11:38 AM   #4
e91Owner
e91Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91 & 2010 e60

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokenize View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by e91Owner View Post
Which one exactly? I thought this one was international?

Meanwhile I have another issue. I'm getting two strange error codes on my E90 with N46B20 engine that relate with VANOS: 2A83 and 2A88.

Thus far I've replaced the VANOS Solenoids and both camshafts positioning sensors but the issue persists. I've also took to chance to check the timing on the engine and it seems perfect. Next step would be to replace both camshaft VANOS adjusters but that's really expensive and I'm afraid it won't fix the problem even though it's the only part left to replace of the whole VANOS system.

Anyone knows if this might be related with the camshafts adaptions being out of range?
Any of them really, but I'd assume UK or AUS. That is not an engine on US E90s, so you are unlikely to get any replies here as that is the vast majority of posters.
Appreciate 0