F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > iDrive Audio & Nav issue - possible blown fuse?
Extreme Powerhouse

09-11-2020, 01:49 PM   #1
S6K
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M

Hi all, I would love some advice troubleshooting this issue as I am not too experienced with electronics. Providing all information because I am not sure what is relevant and what is not-

Yesterday there was a huge storm in DC metro area which I got caught up in in my commute. Some standing water on highway but nothing crazy. Very heavy rain. Parked car, started it up 4 hrs later. 10 minutes into commute home I herd an audible zap noise followed by the iDrive system rebooting. After this iDrive showed "loading" when trying to reconnect to Bluetooth and USB. Nav screen stuck on "loading Navigation System". Radio works fine. Tried AUX connection and audio only plays through speakers on left half of car (may just be my AUX cable IDK).. fast forward..

Read codes through MHD platform- Cat underperforming (standard, I have hi flow cat), and O2 sensor short circuit (never seen this before, not sure if it's relevant or not).

Browsed forum. Tried resetting the iDrive via locking car for a few hours and through reflashing ECU. Every time the iDrive system boots for the first time there is an audible almost clicking type noise coming from box located under iDrive display beneath AC controls. Clicking noise only occurs when iDrive initially boots.

Pulled up fuse diagram and I see a good number of fuses in the box under the hood are dedicated to the front control unit. I have never tested or replaced a fuse before in any of my vehicles. Really praying it's just a fuse and not an iDrive replacement.

What would be your next recommended step for troubleshooting? Get voltmeter and check fuses? Or pull each fuse out and visually inspect? The diagram I sourced shows fuses 25, 120, 121, 122, 123, 125, 126, 128, 142, 147, 155, 159 from engine bay fuse box all dedicated to the control unit.

I can also provide a video of the audible clicking on iDrive boot if that would be of assistance.

Thank you so much for your help!

| 2020 X3M | 2015 335 | IG & YT: @straight6kris |
335 Build Thread: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...4#post27268174
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 05:44 AM   #2
steve@codemybimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Hong Kong
Rep

Drives: 2020 G20 320i M Sport

Garage List
Sounds like the hard drive has gone bad in the iDrive unit judging by the click sound and maps not loading.

If this was a fuse issue, you wouldn't see the head unit turn on let alone display so I'd say your best bet now would be look into getting it replaced with a used one.
Online Store | Remote Coding Package| ID6 Retrofit for almost all F Chassis BMWs
Appreciate 2
Billfitz8272.50
S6K166.00
      09-16-2020, 04:34 PM   #3
S6K
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve@codemybimmer View Post
Sounds like the hard drive has gone bad in the iDrive unit judging by the click sound and maps not loading.

If this was a fuse issue, you wouldn't see the head unit turn on let alone display so I'd say your best bet now would be look into getting it replaced with a used one.
Thank you

Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 05:12 PM   #4
S6K
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

Other people are talking about a combox replacement/repair, do you think that could be the issue or do you think a idrive replacement is more of what I'm looking at? Thanks for the help.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 10:24 PM   #5
steve@codemybimmer
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdevito757 View Post
Other people are talking about a combox replacement/repair, do you think that could be the issue or do you think a idrive replacement is more of what I'm looking at? Thanks for the help.
Given the model year and assuming that you have Nav, you have a NBT head unit so there would be no combox in your configuration.

Just replace the iDrive receiver and that will resolve the issue but keep in mind that you will coding and activation for Nav, Voice Control and Sirius XM to work again and we can help with that.
Online Store | Remote Coding Package| ID6 Retrofit for almost all F Chassis BMWs
Appreciate 1
S6K166.00
      09-16-2020, 10:28 PM   #6
S6K
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Given the model year and assuming that you have Nav, you have a NBT head unit so there would be no combox in your configuration.

Just replace the iDrive receiver and that will resolve the issue but keep in mind that you will coding and activation for Nav, Voice Control and Sirius XM to work again and we can help with that.
Thanks so much I will definitely reach out for coding.... I did some research because I was confused and also thought my car did not have a combox with the NBT but after looking actually does, it has combox part number 84.10 9 377151 01

Appreciate 0
      09-17-2020, 11:12 AM   #7
steve@codemybimmer
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks so much I will definitely reach out for coding.... I did some research because I was confused and also thought my car did not have a combox with the NBT but after looking actually does, it has combox part number 84.10 9 377151 01
Are you referring to the 2015 335i M sport on your profile? BMWs from model year 2015+ would not have comboxes.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2020, 06:01 PM   #8
S6K
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Are you referring to the 2015 335i M sport on your profile? BMWs from model year 2015+ would not have comboxes.
Yes I am talking about that car, and all the research I have done says that it should not have one as well but look at the picture I took, is this not a combox? I looked up the part number on it and it pulled up eBay listings for a replacement
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-18-2020, 10:11 AM   #9
steve@codemybimmer
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yes I am talking about that car, and all the research I have done says that it should not have one as well but look at the picture I took, is this not a combox? I looked up the part number on it and it pulled up eBay listings for a replacement
That is a TCB which strictly only handles telematics. A combox would not be part of your configuration given the model year and vehicle options you have.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2020, 10:12 AM   #10
S6K
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
That is a TCB which strictly only handles telematics. A combox would not be part of your configuration given the model year and vehicle options you have.
Ok thanks so much for the info, just wanted to double check. I will try to locate a used idrive unit for purchase and reach out when I'm ready for coding. Again, thanks for all of your help!

Appreciate 1