BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Advice before buying a 2016 BMW X1 (reliability)

08-18-2020, 08:38 AM   #1
Rickson
Private
Rep
Drives: Z4M coupe Black sapphire

Advice before buying a 2016 BMW X1 (reliability)

Hello,

My girlfriend is about to buy a 2016 X1 (28i xdrive) with "essential package" at a BMW dealer probably with a one-year certification (in canada it means one year warranty and a full check-up) around 40000kms (30K miles)
We'are aware that car play retrofit is almost impossible and don't really care.

I am more worried by the long term reliability. First versions of the X1 could have been very problematic. I am concerned about transfert case issues and long term N20 relability) .

What are your feedback about that and advices for the maintenance.

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2020, 09:59 AM   #2
jmhumr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X1

The car appears to be as solid as they come. Also, this generation of X1 uses the B48 engine, not the N20.

Anecdotally—as someone who has watched this forum for nearly three years—there are no posting trends that suggest any widespread mechanical issues with the car. It’s one of the few car model forums I’ve seen that isn’t filled with complaints or concerns. For a car approaching 5 years old, that’s solid.

If you trust Consumer Reports, they rate this generation of X1 very favorably in terms of reliability. For major engine and transmission reliability in the 2016, they give a 5/5 rating to each. All of the other components got a 4/5 or better.

Also JD Power VDR gives the 2016 X1 a 4.5/5 reliability rating.

I’m always researching my next car and haven’t come across any websites that have anything bad to say about the reliability of the 2016 X1.

My top piece of advice is to ask for the brake inspection report before buying. The most prominent complaint about the X1 is quick brake wear. So you’ll want to make sure there’s ample life left on the pads.
Appreciate 2
Movnmik13.50
HP170.00
      08-18-2020, 01:14 PM   #3
Rickson
Private
Rep
Drives: Z4M coupe Black sapphire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmhumr View Post
The car appears to be as solid as they come. Also, this generation of X1 uses the B48 engine, not the N20.

Anecdotally—as someone who has watched this forum for nearly three years—there are no posting trends that suggest any widespread mechanical issues with the car. It’s one of the few car model forums I’ve seen that isn’t filled with complaints or concerns. For a car approaching 5 years old, that’s solid.

If you trust Consumer Reports, they rate this generation of X1 very favorably in terms of reliability. For major engine and transmission reliability in the 2016, they give a 5/5 rating to each. All of the other components got a 4/5 or better.

Also JD Power VDR gives the 2016 X1 a 4.5/5 reliability rating.

I’m always researching my next car and haven’t come across any websites that have anything bad to say about the reliability of the 2016 X1.

My top piece of advice is to ask for the brake inspection report before buying. The most prominent complaint about the X1 is quick brake wear. So you’ll want to make sure there’s ample life left on the pads.

Thank you so much. Very precise infos here
Appreciate 0