BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > A sad incident with my M2

08-14-2020, 10:58 AM   #1
kingikra
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

A sad incident with my M2

Yesterday I took a day off and drove to my favorite twisty road. On the first minute, I suddenly heard a sound of something that got hit. At first I thought it is a stone that had been thrown on the car's body from the wheel or something like that. Then. when I have tried to go back on the road, the engine did a strong sound, I heard the turbo whistling hard and the car didn't have power.

I started thinking what to do. The service is 40-50 KMs from here. I didn't know what's wrong and it'll be effected if I'll keep on driving so I stopped on the side of the road and ordered a tow truck.

It took them 4.5 hours to get there

The service isn't working on Fridays so I'll need to wait till Sunday to know what went wrong. After asking some people it seems like one of the turbo's pipes loosened up or was blown.

I'll update on Sunday
Appreciate 1
      08-14-2020, 11:04 AM   #2
Altra
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 AW M2

Charge pipe could've blown too. I experienced loss of power when my CP blew. Pop the hood and see if the pipe blew.
Appreciate 1
      08-14-2020, 11:14 AM   #3
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Fingers crossed it's the charge-pipe, which is no big deal at all.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2020, 12:21 PM   #4
kingikra
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks

The tow truck towed the car to a night parking and I'll see it again only on Sunday morning but then it'll be in the service so they'll let me know if it is a CP.

Anyhow, the car is still under warranty so whatever it is, I will not need to pay for the damage. The only thing is if it is a broken turbo, it might take a few weeks to fix.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2020, 12:25 PM   #5
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingikra View Post
Thanks

The tow truck towed the car to a night parking and I'll see it again only on Sunday morning but then it'll be in the service so they'll let me know if it is a CP.

Anyhow, the car is still under warranty so whatever it is, I will not need to pay for the damage. The only thing is if it is a broken turbo, it might take a few weeks to fix.
It's the charge pipe that popped, you'll be fine..

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=26435135
Appreciate 2
      08-14-2020, 12:35 PM   #6
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
The only thing is if it is a broken turbo, it might take a few weeks to fix.
Broken turbo? Never heard of such a thing on an M2.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2020, 12:49 PM   #7
McGary911
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2 DCT

I blew my charge pipe a bit more than a week back. It DOES make a loud CLANK! sound. It's real obvious if you can look at the engine. The black pipe on the port side of the engine (not saying drivers side, as not sure which side they do where you live, so nautical terms) blows up right where it hooks to the throttle body\intake.

Bet you got the check engine light with a bunch of ugly codes that should stay gone once the pipe is replaced.

Easy fix for the dealer and hopefully they have the part in stock. They very well may as it's a common failure with an N55.

Good luck. 4 hours at my dealer and I'm back in business.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2020, 03:27 PM   #8
kingikra
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGary911 View Post
I blew my charge pipe a bit more than a week back. It DOES make a loud CLANK! sound. It's real obvious if you can look at the engine. The black pipe on the port side of the engine (not saying drivers side, as not sure which side they do where you live, so nautical terms) blows up right where it hooks to the throttle body\intake.

Bet you got the check engine light with a bunch of ugly codes that should stay gone once the pipe is replaced.

Easy fix for the dealer and hopefully they have the part in stock. They very well may as it's a common failure with an N55.

No check engine light and no other light has been shown on the gauge cluster.
They should have this part at the service.

Back then, I had a Cadi ATS-V which cost 140000 USD. It is very cheap for a car like this here. A gear oil pipe has been damaged and it took two and a half weeks to get one. A new M2 comp costs here 176000 usd so I assume they have one in stock
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2020, 09:25 AM   #9
MZWIE
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGary911 View Post

Sheesh. That dealer must be incompetent. I replaced the CP and the IC in 2 hours.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2020, 12:16 PM   #10
kingikra
Second Lieutenant
Rep

BTW, I think that I have another issue which I can't let the service check and I'll explain why :-)

Lately, when driving in speeds that are above 100 MPH (100-125) I feel like the car isn't stable as it was before. The maximum speed I got with the car before was 155 MPH and it was very stable. The maximum speed limit on the highways here is 80 so they cannot check that issue in the service.

Can one of you point me to something that can be the reason?

I'll add that after my last track day I have replaced both front brakes and pads and replaced both my rear tires to something cheap but IIRC, this issue was with the old PS4 as well.

It is obviously has nothing to do with the pipe. That's for sure :-)
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2020, 12:33 PM   #11
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
You're going to have to describe in detail "isn't as stable." Could be something a simple as the tire pressure, tire wear, or the surface you're driving on.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2020, 02:42 PM   #12
kingikra
Second Lieutenant
Rep

That won't be easy to describe in details. As For the reasons you've mentioned, surface is not the same so it's not the issue. As I mentioned, I've replaced both rear tires a month ago. What I haven't replaced is the front tires which haven't been replaced since I bought the car in February 2019 and they also worked hard on the track. Can they be the problem?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2020, 03:23 PM   #13
Daytona_550
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M2C / '08 550i / '23 330i

Quote:
That won't be easy to describe in details. As For the reasons you've mentioned, surface is not the same so it's not the issue. As I mentioned, I've replaced both rear tires a month ago. What I haven't replaced is the front tires which haven't been replaced since I bought the car in February 2019 and they also worked hard on the track. Can they be the problem?
If you cannot identify the problem yourself, I would start by having a tire shop check your tires, then alignment, which would also rule out suspension issues.

If problem continues, and still under warranty, why not take it to the BMW dealer to have them take a look? Dealer and warranty should not have any issues with a car that has been driven at high speed in a "driver's education event".
Appreciate 1
kingikra121.50
      08-15-2020, 04:09 PM   #14
cptobvious
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C HS DCT

Quote:
BTW, I think that I have another issue which I can't let the service check and I'll explain why :-)

Lately, when driving in speeds that are above 100 MPH (100-125) I feel like the car isn't stable as it was before. The maximum speed I got with the car before was 155 MPH and it was very stable. The maximum speed limit on the highways here is 80 so they cannot check that issue in the service.

I'll add that after my last track day I have replaced both front brakes and pads and replaced both my rear tires to something cheap but IIRC, this issue was with the old PS4 as well.

OP, I had the EXACT same issue with regard to stability and changing tires. Here's what happened to me, and what I did to fix the issue. If it's the same for you, then the good news is that this is a VERY, VERY, VERY simple fix.

1. I replaced both rear tires, and immediately afterward, my M2 no longer felt "stable" at high speeds - it felt as though I would have to constantly fight to keep the car moving in a straight line

2. I then read this article from Tirerack: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret....jsp?techid=47

3. The instability I was experiencing at high speeds was due to tramlining. As the Tirerack article points out, when tires are worn down, they "become more responsive as their tread depth wears away (which is why tires are shaved for competition and track use), a tire will become more likely to tramline as it wears"

4. Moreover, the problem becomes worse the higher your tires are inflated: "Using higher tire pressures than recommended by the vehicle manufacturer for your driving conditions will unnecessarily stiffen the tire and make it even more willing to cause tramlining"

5. Given all this, I realized that here's what had happened with my M2: a) My tire pressures had naturally fallen down to ~30 PSI over time. As my tires wore down, I never experienced any tramlining, because at the same time, the tires' PSI had also fallen. b) When I had my rear tires replaced, the tire shop inflated all 4 tires back to factory recommended 35 PSI. c) I still had my old, worn front tires on my M2, like you, so now the old, worn front tires were tramlining like crazy at 35 PSI.

I simply let out 4 PSI from each of my tires (I'm now down to 31 PSI), and the car drives like it should - no more tramlining. Feels perfect again.

Hope that helps, OP. If it's the same issue, it's a super, super easy fix.

Best of luck to you!
Appreciate 4
Poochie9104.50
ried791.50
Habber3515.00
      08-15-2020, 04:26 PM   #15
larry.beck
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
What CaptObvious said. In addition, mixing tire compounds is really not a good idea. They will work differently, heat differently, gain and lose traction differently, become sticky or greasy differently. It's honestly not worth the savings to mix them.
      08-15-2020, 05:24 PM   #16
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptobvious View Post
Quote:

OP, I had the EXACT same issue with regard to stability and changing tires. Here's what happened to me, and what I did to fix the issue. If it's the same for you, then the good news is that this is a VERY, VERY, VERY simple fix.
I experienced the same, when I alternate from Michelin summer tires to Pirelli winters.. I always have this "wow" moment, after leaving the tire shop.

Point is, different tires equal a different feel - for better or worst.

On the same principle, I've notice a dramatic difference when going from a heavier to lighter wheels.

The wheels and tires are intricate to the feel and handling of these vehicles..
Appreciate 1
Fabb228.50
      08-16-2020, 02:43 AM   #17
kingikra
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks all. The car had been towed to the service this morning. The service guy had called and told me that it is, indeed, a turbo pipe. He sent a picture. For some reason, they claim that it is not under warranty but they are checking. What do you guys think?

I've also told him about the instability issue and he also claims that it could easily be the worn front tires or even the cheap rear tires.

CaptObvious, thanks for the detailed explanation. I'll try that for sure after I'll get back my car.

Larry, you're saying it is not worse the saving but then again how much a pair of Michelin costs at your end of the globe? Here they are 900 usd. I paid for the cheap ones less than 400. I'll just add up that the car is already under a trade deal. I've replaced it with a cayman s that should arrive at December or January 2021.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2020, 05:56 AM   #18
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks all. The car had been towed to the service this morning. The service guy had called and told me that it is, indeed, a turbo pipe. He sent a picture. For some reason, they claim that it is not under warranty but they are checking. What do you guys think?
The charge pipe is covered under the factory warranty, I have no idea why they would claim otherwise. :

My warranty expired but I got my auto insurance company to pay for it, under a mechanical breakdown rider coverage I opted for, which cost about them about $900, so you better hope your dealer do indeed absorb the cost, under the factory coverage.

Also, BMW recently revised the charge pipe, enhancing the lip, which is know prone weak area, so it shouldn't explode a second time around.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-16-2020, 06:35 AM   #19
kingikra
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Yes... Indeed it is under warranty. Why have they claim it is not? Maybe the "success method" (I'll tell the customer that it is not under warranty and charge him for that unless he'll claim it is under warranty)?

Hopefully I'll get the car back today. The part got there at 13:30 and they are closing at 16:30, should be enough I presume.

Thanks for the pictures. Hopefully it'll not be damaged again with that enhancement.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2020, 06:52 AM   #20
Dooba97
Bahrain
Rep
Drives: '21 SO M2C 6MT

Quote:
Yes... Indeed it is under warranty. Why have they claim it is not? Maybe the "success method" (I'll tell the customer that it is not under warranty and charge him for that unless he'll claim it is under warranty)?
I'm from Bahrain and dealt with resistance from various dealerships on warranty issues, namely Chevy and MB. This is a given, they'll claim it isn't under warranty to try to charge you more than what the flat rate corporate would pay for them to fix it. I tend not to ask if its covered so they don't play me like a fool. If the bill shows up, I'll set them straight and threaten to contact the regional office.

Worst case scenario, you contact corporate and they'll clear it up for you if the dealer doesn't play ball. In my case thats BMW Dubai/ME. I'm not sure if Israel falls under their corporate umbrella.

There aren't many laws protecting the consumer in our case. Stuff like the Magnuson Act aren't applicable here, they'll just keep fixing a lemon til its out of warranty (and their hair).
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2020, 07:02 AM   #21
kingikra
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooba97 View Post
I'm from Bahrain and dealt with resistance from various dealerships on warranty issues, namely Chevy and MB. This is a given, they'll claim it isn't under warranty to try to charge you more than what the flat rate corporate would pay for them to fix it. I tend not to ask if its covered so they don't play me like a fool. If the bill shows up, I'll set them straight and threaten to contact the regional office.

Worst case scenario, you contact corporate and they'll clear it up for you if the dealer doesn't play ball. In my case thats BMW Dubai/ME. I'm not sure if Israel falls under their corporate umbrella.

There aren't many laws protecting the consumer in our case. Stuff like the Magnuson Act aren't applicable here, they'll just keep fixing a lemon til its out of warranty (and their hair).
As I mentioned above, it is under warranty and they are working on it as we speak and they won't charge me even a buck.
Israel and UAE has just signed a normalization deal a few days ago so it can't be in Dubai.
As much as I know, in these cases, I need to point the claim directly to Germany.

Fortunately they have saved me the hassle.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2020, 12:53 PM   #22
kingikra
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Went to pick my car back a few hours ago. Seems like the turbo pipe issue is behind me.
I'll start to debug the instability issue this weekend (Almost not driving at all during week days now with the Corona).

I don't think they have done/checked anything in the service concerning this issue. What I did fill driving back home is when stopping from high speed, the car is pulling a bit to the side. This, indeed, can be caused by the old front tires.
Appreciate 0