F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Eibach Pro Springs
Studio RSR

08-08-2020, 09:40 AM   #1
APJ
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36 435d M Sport Plus

Eibach Pro Springs

I had some Eibach Pro, the 06 22's springs fitted a week ago on my 435d F36, the rears have dropped 15mm, just like quoted, so they are absolutely spot on. The fronts have only dropped 8mm n/s and 10mm o/s, which is not quite what i wanted, though the drive is much better, it still lifts if you accelerate hard, i'm sure this would improve if it dropped the further 10mm per the figures. i have now done 500 miles since fitting so don't see it settling anymore. I have been going to the same garage for over thirty years, and there work has always been consistently good.

I have read, that the pinch bolts can cause problems lowering if tightened at the wrong time, so when i mentioned this to the mechanic he said the procedure can be done without even touching these. So wondered if any of you good chaps out there had any other ideas, or am i just going to have to put up with it like this, by the way its not horrible, would just prefer to get the other 10mm of drop. Cheers
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2020, 04:16 PM   #2
Pentland
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i (G42)

Hi. I don’t know if this will help but there is a photo of my car here
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1744775

I also have the Eibach Pro springs. I think the drop is fine. Although I don’t have the same power as you, I don’t notice any undue lift under acceleration.

Is it the aesthetics you’re not happy with or just the lift under power?

Last edited by Pentland; 08-08-2020 at 05:45 PM.. Reason: Corrected autocorrect.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2020, 05:16 PM   #3
bishbosh
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335d

Garage List
2014 BMW 335d  [0.00]
I doubt a 435d could ever be described as asthmatic
Appreciate 1
Soul_Glo13378.00
      08-08-2020, 06:56 PM   #4
APJ
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentland View Post
Hi. I don’t know if this will help but there is a photo of my car here
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1744775

I also have the Eibach Pro springs. I think the drop is fine. Although I don’t have the same power as you, I don’t notice any undue lift under acceleration.

Is it the aesthetics you’re not happy with or just the lift under power?
A bit of both, your front end is much lower than mine, i must post before and after pictures, but yours does look really well balanced from front to rear
Appreciate 1
Pentland1745.50
      08-09-2020, 03:14 AM   #5
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

Sometimes springs take a while to settle. When I had my front axle on stands for a week on ACS springs. It took a few days for it to settle down. Then the tilt sensor went off. I went out and it looked as it should.

I also remember going spax (showing my age) on a Nissan project and those took 2 weeks.

So I wonder if Eibach would need another week or so to settle.
Appreciate 1
APJ245.00
      08-09-2020, 04:41 AM   #6
APJ
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul_Glo View Post
Sometimes springs take a while to settle. When I had my front axle on stands for a week on ACS springs. It took a few days for it to settle down. Then the tilt sensor went off. I went out and it looked as it should.

I also remember going spax (showing my age) on a Nissan project and those took 2 weeks.

So I wonder if Eibach would need another week or so to settle.
I really wish that was the case, but i have now done approximately 500 miles on them, and would have thought they should have fully settled by now, especially since for the first hundred miles they had only dropped 5 to 6 mm.

Good old spax, that is a blast from the past !!
Appreciate 1
Soul_Glo13378.00
      08-11-2020, 10:49 AM   #7
APJ
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Finally got round to doing the before and after pictures.
As you can see rear is definitely a bit lower and just how i wanted it, the front is still a bit high, and i actually chose a before picture that made it look a bit lower
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 11:39 AM   #8
Olly_P
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36 440i, Estoril Blue

See what you mean, definitely looks not as low at the front.

Interesting to see if anything can be done about it. I've got some ACS springs getting fitted to my F36 GC next month and uneven lowering is a worry as very similar springs.

Nice looking car though!
      08-11-2020, 12:58 PM   #9
APJ
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Cheers, that's why i have asked the question, short of attempting to refit them, i've got no idea, though i wish i'd changed the shockers at the same time, even if it was just the fronts
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 01:39 PM   #10
M140_BCS
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 440i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by APJ View Post
As you can see rear is definitely a bit lower and just how i wanted it, the front is still a bit high, and i actually chose a before picture that made it look a bit lower
Sits much better than standard.

Here's mine on Eibach Pros with Bilstein B6 Damptronics.
Attached Images

08-11-2020, 01:52 PM   #11
Yawn07
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: 435d GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by M140_BCS View Post
Quote:

That looks well nice! See you've deleted the wing badges. Ever thought about deleting the rear window badges? Less is more?
Appreciate 1
M140_BCS237.50
      08-11-2020, 02:01 PM   #12
M140_BCS
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks.

Not a fan of the m badges on the wings, had to remove them straight away.

As for the GC ones on the glass, not thought about removing them but it would give it a cleaner look.
      08-11-2020, 02:24 PM   #13
APJ
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

That's how i want mine to look, lol, the rears are the same, its just the fronts that are different, i had looked at new shockers, but the more i read the more i got confused, Bilsteins, and which one 6's 8's, Byrds, Koni's. Someone did put me off Bilsteins, by saying they were quite firm and made the car in comfort mode feel like sport. what pushed you towards the B6 damptronics ?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 02:43 PM   #14
M140_BCS
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

That's how i want mine to look, lol, the rears are the same, its just the fronts that are different, i had looked at new shockers, but the more i read the more i got confused, Bilsteins, and which one 6's 8's, Byrds, Koni's. Someone did put me off Bilsteins, by saying they were quite firm and made the car in comfort mode feel like sport. what pushed you towards the B6 damptronics ?
They came up in the classifieds around half the price of buying new and had only covered a few hundred miles.

As you mentioned, they are quite firm in the comfort setting. Similar to sport but soak up all the bumps a lot better.

The B4 Damptronics are meant to be more OEM in terms of comfort but much more compliant.
      08-16-2020, 05:33 AM   #15
APJ
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
They came up in the classifieds around half the price of buying new and had only covered a few hundred miles.

As you mentioned, they are quite firm in the comfort setting. Similar to sport but soak up all the bumps a lot better.

The B4 Damptronics are meant to be more OEM in terms of comfort but much more compliant.
Looks like i could do with something in between, trying not to be to fussy, got to remember that the Mrs is sometimes in the car, so can't have it to firm
That was a lucky find at nearly half price, when you say classifieds, what source was it ?
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2020, 06:01 AM   #16
M140_BCS
Lieutenant
Rep

F30 Post - UK Classifieds

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1713129
      08-16-2020, 08:14 AM   #17
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Always surprises me when people talk about springs settling. Why is this regarded as acceptable ?

Premium springs should be 'cycled' and pre-settled as part of the manufacturing process. My Ohlins springs have settled by <1mm - almost immeasurable and definitely not noticeable to the eye.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2020, 11:14 AM   #18
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Cheers, that's why i have asked the question, short of attempting to refit them, i've got no idea, though i wish i'd changed the shockers at the same time, even if it was just the fronts
When you do change dampers consider Koni Special Actives. I have them with the same Eibach springs that you installed. Koni SAs were developed with McLaren. They use two valves with different frequencies to act like a sport shock on curves and a comfort shock on rough roads. They are like a passive version of BMWs Active dampers. Extremely happy with them.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
APJ245.00
rcaso26331.00
      08-16-2020, 12:47 PM   #19
APJ
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
When you do change dampers consider Koni Special Actives. I have them with the same Eibach springs that you installed. Koni SAs were developed with McLaren. They use two valves with different frequencies to act like a sport shock on curves and a comfort shock on rough roads. They are like a passive version of BMWs Active dampers. Extremely happy with them.
Funnily enough, i have been trying to look at these, don't seem to be as widely available in the UK, but then i had some Koni's on an XR2 thirty years ago, so shouldn't be a problem. I was was going to open a thread on the Koni SA's to see if we had many users here in the UK and how suitable they are to our potholed British roads !!
The other thing i was unsure about when reading about them, was they said they weren't suitable with lowered springs, but then they say that about the B6's, and lots of chaps on here have them fitted with lowered springs. Though i should be okay, since i have Eibach Pro's fitted, it has only lowered the front by 10mm, so that's almost like a normal damper
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2020, 01:12 PM   #20
Yawn07
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: 435d GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post
Always surprises me when people talk about springs settling. Why is this regarded as acceptable ?

Premium springs should be 'cycled' and pre-settled as part of the manufacturing process. My Ohlins springs have settled by <1mm - almost immeasurable and definitely not noticeable to the eye.
Ohlins though. Sort of answered your own question I think.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2020, 10:42 PM   #21
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
Funnily enough, i have been trying to look at these, don't seem to be as widely available in the UK, but then i had some Koni's on an XR2 thirty years ago, so shouldn't be a problem. I was was going to open a thread on the Koni SA's to see if we had many users here in the UK and how suitable they are to our potholed British roads !!
The other thing i was unsure about when reading about them, was they said they weren't suitable with lowered springs, but then they say that about the B6's, and lots of chaps on here have them fitted with lowered springs. Though i should be okay, since i have Eibach Pro's fitted, it has only lowered the front by 10mm, so that's almost like a normal damper
Ahh, I call that "Koni speak". Bilstein does the same thing with the B6. They actually put it in writing that it's not for lowered cars. But they define moderate drop springs (anything <1 inch) as not really dropped or the same as stock spring height.

A couple of years ago, I had several confusing conversations with a high level technical guy at Koni. Finally he expressed that stock spring heights and Eibach moderate drop springs were considered the same to Koni. As it turned out, before releasing the Koni Special Actives in the US (June/July 2008) that Spring Koni has tested the SAs with the exact same Eibach springs. So the combination was approved way back then.

Both Koni and Bilstein don't seem to understand that the wording in their literature, in the USA at least, has prevented sales of their products. Whenever anyone calls a US parts house to inquire about Koni SAs, the computer in front of the staffer pops up with the message "not for lowered cars", without an explanation that if it's <1 inch then Koni doesn't consider it to be lowered!
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2020, 02:25 AM   #22
APJ
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Yes they don't seem to make it easy for themselves, and i had spotted that they had partnered their dampers with Eibach springs, fancy that. And i didn't realise they were based in the Netherlands, they should be pushing themselves a lot more throughout Europe.
I am now trying to work which are the best model number for my car, first i tried looking via my car model F36 and came up with 874513KT, which are for F36's but the rear wheel drive only. I then tried the one you had said 87451378KT, but that came back as not suitable for the F36. So i have written a message to Koni UK, hopefully they will find which set is best for mine, on the assumption that they actually want to sell me some dampers
Appreciate 0