F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > Lighting Question
Studio RSR

06-26-2020, 11:24 AM   #1
Rick4345
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 WRX World Rally Blue

Garage List
Lighting Question

Hi

Has anyone replaced the small parking lamp and or DRL in the halogen setup?

I have a 2015 F31 and already have Sylvania H7 Silverstars for the high and low beams. I'm just trying to add a little more visibility to my DRLs. I drove cars that had this setup when I drove cars for a local BMW dealership and kind of liked the idea of the LED DRLs.

I know the best thing would be to replace the whole crappy setup with Xenon or LED lamps. I just don't have the knowledge or can find anyone locally who can do that. I've driven cars with both and loved them.

I do have access to ESys and Bimmercode if that helps.

Thanks in advance for all the help!!
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2020, 12:24 PM   #2
cjn
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 F40 M135iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick4345 View Post
Hi

I have a 2015 F31 and already have Sylvania H7 Silverstars for the high and low beams. I'm just trying to add a little more visibility to my DRLs. I drove cars that had this setup when I drove cars for a local BMW dealership and kind of liked the idea of the LED DRLs.

I know the best thing would be to replace the whole crappy setup with Xenon or LED lamps. I just don't have the knowledge or can find anyone locally who can do that. I've driven cars with both and loved them.

Not a big deal. I replaced both with LEDs on my 2014 F30. I'm in the UK so I can't really suggest a supplier but it can't be too difficult.

For the 24W PW24W DRL
I got PW24W LEDs

For the 6W H6W 434 Front parking
I got H6W LEDs

The coding is straightforward:

DRLs for LED bulb
left/right set LED -- FEM_BODY--3061--TFL_L/R_IS_LED set aktiv from nicht_aktiv
left/right no cold check -- FEM_BODY--3061--TFL_L/R_KALTUEBERWACHUNG set nicht_aktiv from aktiv
left/right no hot check -- FEM_BODY--3061--TFL_L/R_WARMUEBERWACHUNG set nicht_aktiv from aktiv
left/right brightness -- FEM_BODY--3062--MAPPING_TAGFAHRL_V_L/R_PWM_LEVEL_1 set werte=64(100%) from werte=7A(12.2V)
I left the next two items unchanged
left/right short circuit check -- FEM_BODY--3061--TFL_L/R_KURZSCHLUSS aktiv
left/right overvoltage protection -- FEM_BODY--3061--TFL_L/R_UE_SPG_SCHUTZ dimmed

Parking Light for LED bulb
this is as for the first 3 DRL items, just change TFL to POL

These were a massive improvement on the miserable, almost brown colour of the filament bulbs.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2020, 12:24 PM   #3
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

I replaced my parking lamps with LED, to match the color of the rest of my all LED lighting. I didn't bother with DRL as I don't use them. If you change any bulb you must use Bimmercode to turn off the warm and cold checks and designate the source as LED, not bulb.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2020, 04:15 PM   #4
Rick4345
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Thanks for the quick replies.

Much appreciated!!
      07-20-2020, 06:52 AM   #5
Rick4345
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjn View Post
Quote:
Hi

Not a big deal. I replaced both with LEDs on my 2014 F30. I'm in the UK so I can't really suggest a supplier but it can't be too difficult.

For the 24W PW24W DRL
I got PW24W LEDs

For the 6W H6W 434 Front parking
I got H6W LEDs

The coding is straightforward:

DRLs for LED bulb
left/right set LED -- FEM_BODY--3061--TFL_L/R_IS_LED set aktiv from nicht_aktiv
left/right no cold check -- FEM_BODY--3061--TFL_L/R_KALTUEBERWACHUNG set nicht_aktiv from aktiv
left/right no hot check -- FEM_BODY--3061--TFL_L/R_WARMUEBERWACHUNG set nicht_aktiv from aktiv
left/right brightness -- FEM_BODY--3062--MAPPING_TAGFAHRL_V_L/R_PWM_LEVEL_1 set werte=64(100%) from werte=7A(12.2V)
I left the next two items unchanged
left/right short circuit check -- FEM_BODY--3061--TFL_L/R_KURZSCHLUSS aktiv
left/right overvoltage protection -- FEM_BODY--3061--TFL_L/R_UE_SPG_SCHUTZ dimmed

Parking Light for LED bulb
this is as for the first 3 DRL items, just change TFL to POL

These were a massive improvement on the miserable, almost brown colour of the filament bulbs.
Quick question.

Do you still have halogen bulbs for your low and high beam headlights?

I'm wondering if installing the H6W LED bulbs would over power the halogen lights when everything is on?

Thanks for the help!!

Rick
      07-20-2020, 07:19 AM   #6
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I hope not, they're gosh awful. LEDs in the other positions are cosmetic improvements. LEDs in the headlights are safety as well as cosmetic improvements.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 07:37 AM   #7
Rick4345
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
Quote:
I hope not, they're gosh awful. LEDs in the other positions are cosmetic improvements. LEDs in the headlights are safety as well as cosmetic improvements.
I have them.

I'm just trying to improve things as I can.

I'm not real sure about installing the H7 bulbs.

I guess part of my concern is the beam pattern. Some have commented that the OEM setup messes that up. Also, I want to make sure I don't have to alter or eliminate the protective access covers in order to use them.
      07-20-2020, 07:43 AM   #8
cjn
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quick question.

I'm wondering if installing the H6W LED bulbs would over power the halogen lights when everything is on?

Thanks for the help!!

Rick
I no longer have the car, but I changed all the external and internal lighting from filament to LED bulbs. The headlights made the biggest improvement, but you have to choose carefully to avoid splashing light everywhere.

The bulbs I used for dipped and main were these:
https://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/tw...s-H7-pair.html
Each bulb gave a close pair of adjacent 'hot spots' but the cut-off was excellent. The increase in brightness was night and day (!).

The only really bad issue was the bloody difficult access to the main beam bulbs, under the wheel arch. Whoever designed that was a real c##t. However, once in the bulbs fit without any surgery.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 08:41 AM   #9
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

My beam pattern is the same, although it wasn't great to begin with. Accessing the high beams and fogs is easy enough, but the lows are next to impossible unless you create an access opening yourself on the top of the lamp housing, which I did. http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1377259
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 10:52 AM   #10
cjn
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
My beam pattern is the same, although it wasn't great to begin with. Accessing the high beams and fogs is easy enough, but the lows are next to impossible unless you create an access opening yourself on the top of the lamp housing, which I did. http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1377259
Yes, I remember seeing your mod. If I'd ever had to replace a bulb I would have copied your work.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 11:11 AM   #11
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Why BMW didn't do that in the first place is bizarre.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2020, 01:36 AM   #12
cjn
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Why BMW didn't do that in the first place is bizarre.
Yes, it's not like a 55W halogen bulb is going to survive for the life of the car. Perhaps they wanted us to replace the whole light unit - this would have been an easier task. It seems a general problem affecting many brands, with a frequent need to remove the front bumper or other body parts. My current all-LED Golf worries me a bit, as it appears to have no replaceable light elements. Damn good lights though.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2020, 10:37 AM   #13
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Many factory LED don't have replaceable elements because they're not even bulbs in the traditional sense. They justify that by claiming LEDs have a 50 plus year lifespan. Famous last words.
Appreciate 0