F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > F3x airbag reset ... lost !!!
proTUNING Freaks

06-14-2020, 06:32 AM   #1
Mongobear
Rep
Drives: 2016 430i F33

F3x airbag reset ... lost !!!

Afternoon guys,

I bought a crashed '16 F33 at auction. It has some minor panel damage at the front left but the impact was decent enough to blow the dash-airbags, BST and belt pre-tensioners.

I have a 2nd hand dash with airbags, belt-tensioners and battery terminal on the way and once that's all installed I understand I need to reset the airbag-module (ASCM?).
I have been reading for the last days trying to figure out how to do this and just can't get my head around it!

I downloaded ISTA+ and an ENET cable is on its way but don't knowif this is the right combo to get the job done and if so, what the process is.

Or do I need ESYS or Tool32 and/or a different cable?

I read though a few "First steps" documents but they all end in bottomless threads and I just seem to be digging deeper down the rabbit hole leaving more questions than answers.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited by Mongobear; 06-14-2020 at 06:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2020, 04:57 PM   #2
sdbmwcoding
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

As long as you're not replacing the airbag module, you should only need to clear airbag codes. This can be done with esys, tool32, ista, bmw Carly, Bimmerlink etc. This is assuming there is no crash data that needs to be reset within the module.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2020, 08:12 PM   #3
Mongobear
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd********* View Post
As long as you're not replacing the airbag module, you should only need to clear airbag codes. This can be done with esys, tool32, ista, bmw Carly, Bimmerlink etc. This is assuming there is no crash data that needs to be reset within the module.
Thank you.

How would I know if crash data needs to be reset and if so, how would I go about it? Since the airbags have gone off (and the rollover protection bars) I guess it will have crash data stored.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2020, 10:42 PM   #4
sdbmwcoding
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongobear View Post
Quote:
Thank you.

How would I know if crash data needs to be reset and if so, how would I go about it? Since the airbags have gone off (and the rollover protection bars) I guess it will have crash data stored.
Take a photo of the airbag fault codes and post them
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2020, 10:47 PM   #5
Mongobear
Rep

Thumbs up

Will do once I have all the airbag gear replaced. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 09:29 PM   #6
xxxjecxxx2
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i M Sport

Garage List
2013 F30 335i  [0.00]
2015 F15 X5  [0.00]
2017 G30 540i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Thank you.

You don't need to erase crash data. Not like a Honda or other brands.

Clear codes after all replacement equipment is installed and you should be fine.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 09:47 PM   #7
sdbmwcoding
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxjecxxx2 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Thank you.

Clear codes after all replacement equipment is installed and you should be fine.
Depending on what exactly happened the airbag module could store crash data that can't be reset with esys or a scan tool. You'd need an advanced tool to reset eeprom crash data that usually can't be done via obd.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 07:08 AM   #8
xxxjecxxx2
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i M Sport

Garage List
2013 F30 335i  [0.00]
2015 F15 X5  [0.00]
2017 G30 540i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Thank you.

Depending on what exactly happened the airbag module could store crash data that can't be reset with esys or a scan tool. You'd need an advanced tool to reset eeprom crash data that usually can't be done via obd.
That may be the case but it has not been my experience in multiple bmws.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 02:09 PM   #9
sdbmwcoding
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Thank you.

That may be the case but it has not been my experience in multiple bmws.
That's why I said for OP to post a photo of the fault codes he has in the airbag module, it's easy to tell if there is internal crash data. I don't see it a ton either but with severe crashes specifically rollover ones I have seen it.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2020, 04:47 PM   #10
Mongobear
Rep

Still waiting for the new seat-buckle tensioners to arrive but have replaced the belt-internal tensioners and dash-airbags already and can't see them popping up as errors any longer after clearing the fault-memory. Will update once all SRS gear is installed.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2020, 05:35 PM   #11
Mongobear
Rep

Just bringing this to a close. I finally received the buckle tensioners and installed them on the weekend.

Went into ISTA+ and cleared the fault-memory and airbag light is off now.

Cheers
Appreciate 0