BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Tire recommendations - non-run flat

04-29-2021, 12:50 PM   #67
jrveron
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfdaxe View Post
No spacers and no rubbing. Ride is much smoother and handles better. I always ditch RFT's if a vehicle has them. All of my expert tire guys are against RFT's.
Thanks!

You know, here in Mexico I'm really concerned about security. If I have a puncture, with RFTs I don't need to stop and repair/replace the tire, and in that way, I'm protected against thefts.

That's my primary reason for keeping the RFTs, but I'm also looking for something wider than the stock 225 tires.

Again, thanks for all the information!
      10-21-2021, 01:28 PM   #68
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 xdrive 28i

Howdy,.
Just bought (ready for spring) a new set of Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06 plus - 225/45-19. For any Albertans out there I paid $222.50 CAD each from Canadian Tire, they are on sale and that price includes tax and minus the $60 mail in rebate. Cheapest I've seen in all of Canada. Great tire - used them before.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2021, 01:46 PM   #69
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrveron View Post
Thanks!

You know, here in Mexico I'm really concerned about security. If I have a puncture, with RFTs I don't need to stop and repair/replace the tire, and in that way, I'm protected against thefts.

That's my primary reason for keeping the RFTs, but I'm also looking for something wider than the stock 225 tires.

Again, thanks for all the information!
I have run these exact tires on my '04 330i and '11 X3 with great success. Quiet, handles well, long life and good in all weather environments. I am about to buy my third set for a '18 GTi
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2021, 06:53 PM   #70
Zookol
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X1 S drive

Have had my Continental Extreme Contact DWS06 plus since February or March, about 10000 miles.

It is a great tire for the X1. Responsive, yet comfortable ride. Way better than the runflats I replaced.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2021, 10:18 AM   #71
Skyline2.0
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X1 xDrive

Switched to Michelin Pilot All Season 4s about 2 months ago. Put about 3k miles on them and they've been great so far.

Speed bumps are not as jarring and aggressive anymore. After a few hundred miles, the tire noise is more quite than prior Goodyear Eagle Sport run flats. Overall ride quality is very good. Feedback through steering wheel is better than before. Handling in wet conditions and cornering is excellent. I was on the roads during tail end of Hurricane Ida with heavy downpour and winds. Car navigated through the very wet and slippery conditions with confidence.

Only downside over old RFTs is that tire punctures may need to be handled differently. Well worth the switchover to conventional tires IMO.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2021, 12:33 PM   #72
deep.sea
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 xDrive

Thanks guys for the useful information. I'm from UK. One of my Pirelli RFT (summer tyre) have a punture. As winter is coming, I'm thinking to change all tyres to All-Season ones.
Looks like the Conti ExtremeContact DWS06 is good but I can't find one (225/45/19) near my place. I can only find Conti AllSeasonContact nearby. Have you guys tried it before? Do you guys have a BMW approved tyre list?
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2021, 05:46 PM   #73
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep.sea View Post
Thanks guys for the useful information. I'm from UK. One of my Pirelli RFT (summer tyre) have a punture. As winter is coming, I'm thinking to change all tyres to All-Season ones.
Looks like the Conti ExtremeContact DWS06 is good but I can't find one (225/45/19) near my place. I can only find Conti AllSeasonContact nearby. Have you guys tried it before? Do you guys have a BMW approved tyre list?
There are no All Season tyres with a BMW * rating in the UK for the X1. Although in the USA they are allowed and can actually be purchased with a new car on order for the USA, or could be 1 year ago.
2020 BMW X1 xDrive 2.0i MSport (F48).
2022 MB EQB 300 4MATIC AMG Line Premium
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 07:10 AM   #74
kewe1874
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 25D MSport Xdrive

My used car came with Avon ZX7 which seem pretty good, but on 19 inch alloys and a 45 profile M Sport they can still be a bit jolting over bumps. I would imagine RF's would have been even worse though. Update on these seems to suggest they are prone to early cracking in the tread and mines were also picked on on this during a check!!

Last edited by kewe1874; 08-30-2022 at 06:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 08:21 AM   #75
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kewe1874 View Post
My used car came with Avon ZX7 which seem pretty good, but on 192 alloys and a 45 profile M Sport they can still be a bit jolting over bumps. I would imagine RF's would have been even worse though?
I had a set of Avon's, I put them on my '03 330i and I absolutely loved them. They were the Avon AV Tech M500 summer only tires. When they wore out, I went to buy another set only to find they were no longer being sold in the US, so that is when I switched to Continental and have just stayed with the ExtremeContact DWS ever since. The Avon's looked better and had fantastic grip. Now I see we can once again buy Avon's here but in a very limited fashion.

I've never tried the Conti AllSeasonContact, don't see them on Tire Racks site which is where I normally get my tires from but found them on the Continental site, the tread pattern is very different than the ExtremeContact DWS.

deep.sea Here is the link to the Continental site where you can read a bit about the all seasons and see test reviews https://www.tire-reviews.com/Tire/Co...sonContact.htm
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      10-28-2021, 12:45 PM   #76
Wadadli Cooler
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 xdrive25d Msport F48

I would highly recommend Goodyear Vector Four Seasons MKII, particularly if you live in a wet/snowy area. Really good grip in all conditions, and last a long time. MkIII just launched, but only available in limited sizes. I towed a car up a steep hill on compacted snow with no loss of traction.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2021, 07:24 PM   #77
jrveron
Captain
Rep

Hi guys,

Maybe a dumb question but, if a put non-RFT (i.e., regular) tires, do I still need to have TPMS sensors on the wheels?

I'm looking to buy new wheels and tires, and I want to know if I can avoid buying TPMS if I choose conventional tires.

Thanks,
      11-04-2021, 07:29 AM   #78
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hi guys,

Maybe a dumb question but, if a put non-RFT (i.e., regular) tires, do I still need to have TPMS sensors on the wheels?

I'm looking to buy new wheels and tires, and I want to know if I can avoid buying TPMS if I choose conventional tires.

Thanks,
It doesn't matter what type, brand or size tire you use, TPMS is a part of your car and without the sensors in your wheels, that feature of course will not work. The TPMS sensors mount to the inside of the wheel, it does not have anything to do with the tire itself. You can change tires and leave the original TPMS sensors in the wheels. If you intend to buy new wheels, you can either leave the sensors on the old wheels, remove them and maybe you can use them on the new wheels but you may damage them when trying to remove them or you can buy new ones for the new wheels, you have choices.

That doesn't mean you have to have them because you don't but then just don't expect that feature to work. Your display will probably just give you an error if it cannot communicate with them. If you intend to remove them, removal all four.

Last time I bought new wheels and tires from Tire Rack, I bought the TPMS sensors they sell and they installed them when they installed the tires on the wheels so all I had to do when they arrived was jack up the car, remove the old wheels/tires and install the new ones. Then you go into iDrive, reset the TPMS and go for a ride and it will re-communicate with them. This way I had the sensors in my winter wheels and my summer wheels so I could easily change them in my garage and not have to take the car to a service station.

Personally, I like TPMS because I am not the only driver of the car and if someone runs over a nail, I'd like my sensors to tell whoever is driving the car if the air is leaking out of the tire. Well for that matter, I like it to tell me too
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2021, 08:55 PM   #79
jrveron
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in NY View Post
It doesn't matter what type, brand or size tire you use, TPMS is a part of your car and without the sensors in your wheels, that feature of course will not work. The TPMS sensors mount to the inside of the wheel, it does not have anything to do with the tire itself. You can change tires and leave the original TPMS sensors in the wheels. If you intend to buy new wheels, you can either leave the sensors on the old wheels, remove them and maybe you can use them on the new wheels but you may damage them when trying to remove them or you can buy new ones for the new wheels, you have choices.

That doesn't mean you have to have them because you don't but then just don't expect that feature to work. Your display will probably just give you an error if it cannot communicate with them. If you intend to remove them, removal all four.

Last time I bought new wheels and tires from Tire Rack, I bought the TPMS sensors they sell and they installed them when they installed the tires on the wheels so all I had to do when they arrived was jack up the car, remove the old wheels/tires and install the new ones. Then you go into iDrive, reset the TPMS and go for a ride and it will re-communicate with them. This way I had the sensors in my winter wheels and my summer wheels so I could easily change them in my garage and not have to take the car to a service station.

Personally, I like TPMS because I am not the only driver of the car and if someone runs over a nail, I'd like my sensors to tell whoever is driving the car if the air is leaking out of the tire. Well for that matter, I like it to tell me too

Thanks, Marty!

And what about tire width? I'm buying a new set of 19x8.5" wheels and I'm not sure if I should buy 245/40r19 or 255/40r19 tires. Both are a good fit, compared to 19" OEM wheels.

Any recommendations? Thanks
Attached Images

11-10-2021, 07:48 AM   #80
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks, Marty!

And what about tire width? I'm buying a new set of 19x8.5" wheels and I'm not sure if I should buy 245/40r19 or 255/40r19 tires. Both are a good fit, compared to 19" OEM wheels.

Any recommendations? Thanks
Personally I like wider tires, just think they look good. I've have pretty much gone with the widest tire that will fit my cars. More rubber on the road = more traction. However, there are issues that creep up on you as you go wider. They are harder to keep from getting uneven wear, they usually have lower sidewall height which translates in a speedometer error, more rubber on the road means more noise, especially as they wear and they cost more.

Go here and plug in your two sizes and you will see what the speedometer error will be. --> https://tiresize.com/calculator/

In your case, its not much but as you can see, if you set your cruise at 60, you are actually going 60.7. Not enough for a speeding ticket but just something to be aware of when playing around with different sizes. You will also need to know if the wider tire will fit not only your rims but the car itself, meaning it won't scrape against any part of the wheel well or suspension parts as you go over large bumps and the tire pushes upward into the wheel well.

Attached Images

Appreciate 1
jrveron248.00
      11-10-2021, 09:47 AM   #81
jrveron
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Personally I like wider tires, just think they look good. I've have pretty much gone with the widest tire that will fit my cars. More rubber on the road = more traction. However, there are issues that creep up on you as you go wider. They are harder to keep from getting uneven wear, they usually have lower sidewall height which translates in a speedometer error, more rubber on the road means more noise, especially as they wear and they cost more.

Go here and plug in your two sizes and you will see what the speedometer error will be. --> https://tiresize.com/calculator/

In your case, its not much but as you can see, if you set your cruise at 60, you are actually going 60.7. Not enough for a speeding ticket but just something to be aware of when playing around with different sizes. You will also need to know if the wider tire will fit not only your rims but the car itself, meaning it won't scrape against any part of the wheel well or suspension parts as you go over large bumps and the tire pushes upward into the wheel well.
Thanks, Marty!

You know, considering the 225/45r19 OEM tires as the base for comparison, the 255/40r19 seems like a "perfect" match, better than 245/40r19.

And I read somewhere here in the forum that a user fits 255 tires with 20x9" wheels, so I think my build should work just fine, right?
Attached Images

11-10-2021, 09:58 AM   #82
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks, Marty!

You know, considering the 225/45r19 OEM tires as the base for comparison, the 255/40r19 seems like a "perfect" match, better than 245/40r19.

And I read somewhere here in the forum that a user fits 255 tires with 20x9" wheels, so I think my build should work just fine, right?
The 255 tire is 1.1" (27.94mm) wider with half of that width .55" (14mm) on the inside and the other half on the outside of the wheel, so provided you have the room for it, it should work and this size keeps your speedo accurate.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2021, 05:22 PM   #83
jrveron
Captain
Rep

Quote:
The 255 tire is 1.1" (27.94mm) wider with half of that width .55" (14mm) on the inside and the other half on the outside of the wheel, so provided you have the room for it, it should work and this size keeps your speedo accurate.
Mmm, interesting the part where you mention "half of that width .55" (14mm) on the inside and the other half on the outside of the wheel". How do you know how much will be on the outside of the wheel? Is it like a proportion?

Thanks,
      11-12-2021, 10:19 AM   #84
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Mmm, interesting the part where you mention "half of that width .55" (14mm) on the inside and the other half on the outside of the wheel". How do you know how much will be on the outside of the wheel? Is it like a proportion?

Thanks,
Yeah, its a proportion...50%. The tire is centered on the wheel so if you buy a tire that is one inch wider, half will be on the inside and half will be on the outside of the wheel. You can only install a tire that will properly fit the wheels you're looking to buy. Everyone knows you cannot put a 20" tire on a 17" wheel but the same holds true for tire widths, there are limits so its best to verify with the people you are buying the wheels and tires from to assure the tire will fit the wheel properly and the bead of the tire will seal against the lip of the wheel.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2021, 10:18 AM   #85
Reefy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 128i BMW, 2017 X1 BMW 28i

Just got a fresh set of P ZERO ALL SEASON PLUS, best tires I have ever used.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2021, 11:46 PM   #86
jrveron
Captain
Rep

In my case, I chose a set of Michelin Pilot Sport 4 100W XL Accostic, 255/40r19.

The grip is INSANE! So much confidence, I cannot believe it. It also has some insulation on the inside that reduces the road noise. They are really quiet.

So happy I changed my P7 Cinturatto RFT with the PS4. Highly recommended!
Attached Images

11-27-2021, 11:56 PM   #87
chowser51
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F33 430 and F39 M35i

Garage List
I was trying to get some CrossClimate2s for my X2 but they wouldn't let me order it because they said it's not a correct size (was looking at 235/45/19). Ended up ordering the Pilot Sport All Season 4 instead. Will mount them this weekend.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2021, 10:58 AM   #88
GNOV
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

I agree. The RFT are so loud, rough and rigid! Thanks for sharing.
Appreciate 0