E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Rough Idle on Cold Start

06-06-2020, 02:34 PM   #1
skaper
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 N55 M-Sport

Rough Idle on Cold Start

It looks like there are a number of these threads already. I guess in order to help the next person out and seek advice, I am going to log this here.

Quick timeline:

*edit -79K coils & plugs (OEM BMW)
-80K on well-kept N55 335
-Oil filter housing gasket kit (OEM BMW)
-Car runs great for the next few hundred miles

No codes, rough idle appears on cold start, engine stutters. Car as even died on one cold start when putting in reverse. Zero issues after a minute of warmup time.

-Fully charged battery
-Vanos Solenoids replaced (OEM BMW)
-Tensioner / pulley / belt kit (OEM BMW)
-1/7 JB4 reset

Still got a rough idle this morning, no codes. My next step is to clean the MAP and MAF sensors. Any other suggestions?

cheers

Here is a bad phone shot, pulled from FB

Wagner Evo 1 IC // Active Autowerke CP // JB4 + BEF // CAtuned Coilovers // AR Design D/P // Future Classic Spacers // E46 OE CSL Wheels // (PURE Stage 2 w/ wedge next!)

Last edited by skaper; 06-06-2020 at 05:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2020, 03:46 PM   #2
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 325i MSport Coupe

Garage List
Classic symptom of failed injector(s). They leak overnight and the engine is rough on cold start-up until the excess fuel has burned off. Pull your spark plugs after sitting overnight. One or more will be black, wet and smell of fuel.

P.S. BMW recommend not just replacing one injector. You need to replace all in the same bank (cyl 1-3 or 4-6) or preferably all six. And get the most up to date version. I think the injectors for your car are now at version 12.
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Swift thrust sheets; 3 x chassis braces; diff brace; N53 V-brace; 034 subframe inserts; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Delrin shift bushes; Saikoumichi OCC; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; HEL s/steel brake hoses; M3 rear spoiler; Recaro Sportster CSs; M3 white dash LEDs; LED Angels; LED side repeaters; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof/clear front
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2020, 04:02 PM   #3
skaper
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil325i View Post
Classic symptom of failed injector
Thanks for the insight. I was hoping that wouldn’t be the case but sounds like it will be. I did just do coils and plugs about a thousand miles ago. Typical to replace the spark plugs along with the injectors?

I was trying to get all the big items out of the way before more fun parts... but here we are!
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2020, 04:09 PM   #4
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil325i View Post
Classic symptom of failed injector(s). They leak overnight and the engine is rough on cold start-up until the excess fuel has burned off. Pull your spark plugs after sitting overnight. One or more will be black, wet and smell of fuel.

P.S. BMW recommend not just replacing one injector. You need to replace all in the same bank (cyl 1-3 or 4-6) or preferably all six. And get the most up to date version. I think the injectors for your car are now at version 12.
N55, you can do them individually.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2020, 09:30 AM   #5
skaper
Private First Class
Rep

Just closing this one out. After this last week I haven’t had any issues. I the car even sat for 24 and 48 hours a few times before cold starts. Not sure why this problem went away or worked itself out. I’ll start planning for the injectors to go but for now, I hope the issue is gone and I can install my DP this week!
Appreciate 0