F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > LED Voltage
GetBMWParts

05-30-2020, 10:42 PM   #1
Rick4345
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 WRX World Rally Blue

Garage List
LED Voltage

I replaced all my rear lights with LED bulbs.

I've done all the warm and cold check coding.

Do I also need to increase the voltage to 13.7 also??

Thanks for the help in advance!!
      05-31-2020, 07:19 AM   #2
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

I'm not aware of a voltage adjustment. You should change the lamp settings from bulb to LED. This doesn't change the drive voltage level, it changes the voltage from pulsed wave to pure DC.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2020, 10:05 AM   #3
Rick4345
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 WRX World Rally Blue

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
I'm not aware of a voltage adjustment. You should change the lamp settings from bulb to LED. This doesn't change the drive voltage level, it changes the voltage from pulsed wave to pure DC.
Thanks!!

I am going to be converting my F87 to full LED and I know that you have to change the voltage settings.

I already have converted my 15 F31 by just changing the bulbs to LED. I coded out the cold and warm checks and set all the lights to LED. I was just wondering about there being a necessity to change the voltage on my F31 since they were now LED to get the maximum brightness out of them.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2020, 11:27 AM   #4
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

The only voltage settings I can find are for the side markers and DRL.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2020, 07:51 PM   #5
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick4345 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
Thanks!!

I am going to be converting my F87 to full LED and I know that you have to change the voltage settings.

I already have converted my 15 F31 by just changing the bulbs to LED. I coded out the cold and warm checks and set all the lights to LED. I was just wondering about there being a necessity to change the voltage on my F31 since they were now LED to get the maximum brightness out of them.
Changing the voltage does alter the intensity of the light output, you can try it yourself.

All the BMW LEDs are already independently power regulated, regardless of the the amperage it receives. So, as suggest, just code the settings from "bulb" to "LED" and it will be fine.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2020, 10:10 PM   #6
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

AFAIK the bulb versus LED settings don't affect voltage, though I've not bothered to measure it. The bulb setting uses pulse wave modulation to rapidly turn the power to the bulb on and off. You can't see it, because bulbs don't react fast enough. This reduces the current load, which allows everything from a smaller alternator to lighter gauge wires, all in the interest of saving weight and reducing the load on the engine. LEDs react almost instantly to power modulation, so you might see flicker with the bulb setting. The LED setting provides constant voltage, so there can't be any flicker. Current load isn't a problem, as LEDs only draw about 1/10 the current that incandescent bulbs do.
Appreciate 0