F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > No ZGW available?
ARMA SPEED

05-17-2020, 05:24 PM   #1
SafariEdition
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

No ZGW available?

Hey all,

I'm trying to do some basic coding with E-sys, however when I try to connect to my car, it has connect by VIN greyed out and says "no ZGW available".

A couple of things I'm struggling with... I'm using a cheap Amazon ethernet USB adapter which works on my home network, however when I connect the enet cable (which came with my Racecapture data logger for track) it rarely seems to actually make a connection. The lights on the adapter almost never light up, but after plugging and unplugging multiple the OBD side from the car, the ethernet adapter lights come on. I can see a 169.xxx IP address when I run ipconfig, but still shows no ZGW available on esys. If I connect that same cable to my racecapture, it transmits data to the race capture just fine and I can pull info from it.

I have esys 3.27.1 using esys launcher pro 2.8.1 with psdzdata 4.23.12 and this is on a windows 10 laptop, and everything appears to be installed correctly

When I am able to establish a connection that the adapter can see, when I check the network usage, I'm only seeing it sending packets, but not receiving any. I tried last night and again this morning to see if it needed to have time to reset itself, but there was no change.

Can anyone give me an idea on what might be going on and what I can do? My first thought was either a bad adapter, or a bad cable, but since the cable works with the racecapture, and does actually occasionally work with the adapter and sets an IP like it is supposed to, I'm not sure I can entirely blame that.
Attached Images

12-29-2020, 07:19 PM   #2
ngl
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 228i

I know this is an old questions, but since it was never answered and others might bump into his problem: the RaceCapture OBDII cable is not an E-Net cable, it just happens to use an ethernet RJ45 out of convenience. So E-sys will never work using that cable.
Quaife LSD | BC Racing Coilovers | H&R ARB | F8x LCA+TS | Wiechers Strutbar | Mishimoto CAI | Mishimoto Oil Cooler | Mishimoto Oil Catch Can | Mishimoto FMIC | VRSF DP | Masata TIC | Masata CP | DV+ | Custom Kline Exhaust | GTS Style Roll Cage | Sparco Evo QRT | Brey-Krause seat mounts | Schroth Profi 2 ASM 6p | 10" Android HU| xHP Stage3 | BM3 | RaceCapture Data Logger
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2020, 09:41 PM   #3
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

I had the same problem with a good cable. I know it was good because it worked, but only sporadically, OK one day, NFG the next. It's one of the reasons why I gave up on E-Sys and went with Bimmercode.
Appreciate 0