E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Transfer Case Fluid Change!

05-13-2020, 07:28 AM   #1
DgjoX6M2016
F86, G05, E91
United_States
Rep
Drives: F86 X6M

Transfer Case Fluid Change!

Decided to change fluid while doing the oil filter housing, belt and tensioner and other maintenance. Glad it did...

Only 5 oz of fluid came out of case!! Car didn't have any CELs or codes, and seemed to drive fine except for slight shudder under load. I think that might have been the xfer case complaining but will find out when back together.

There was quite a bit of fluid debris on carrier and in are, so there is definitely a slow leak. Car hasn't had fluid replaced in the past so not bad for 150k. I'm not going to worry about that. Will check bolts for tightness and get back together.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2020, 09:44 AM   #2
colorado.e9x
eBay Special
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330xi

Garage List
2007 BMW 328xi  [9.50]
2006 BMW 330xi  [10.00]
Let us know how it drives afterwards. Im at 142k and I just got an oil wear code for it
      05-14-2020, 08:41 PM   #3
DgjoX6M2016
F86, G05, E91
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorado.e9x View Post
Let us know how it drives afterwards. Im at 142k and I just got an oil wear code for it
Ok. Fired it up. Like Christmas on the dash and a rough idle (car was perfect before):

Yellow triangle with an arrow
4x4
CEL
Brake
Limp home mode

Ran a scan with Foxwell.

Exhaust cam position sensor.
VTC worn fluid
Limp mode enabled
Misfire cylinder 1

Jeez. Brutal start. Decided to take it for a spin around block. That cleared the driveline lights! Sweet. I think xfer case adapting to actually having fluid!

As far as the cam sensors, I think when I hit the cam sensors with degreaser to clean front of engine from leaking oil housing I damaged them. Whoops. I thought I could get away with that. 2 new ones and two coil packs on way (1 for cylinder 1, and a spare). Not sure why coil suddenly died. Ran cylinder deactivation test from Foxwell and only cylinder 1 issue.

Hopefully smooth sailing after this. Will report back on the xfer case performance after running smooth.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-14-2020, 09:54 PM   #4
colorado.e9x
eBay Special
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330xi

Garage List
2007 BMW 328xi  [9.50]
2006 BMW 330xi  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DgjoX6M2016 View Post
Quote:
Ok. Fired it up. Like Christmas on the dash and a rough idle (car was perfect before):

4x4
CEL
Brake
Limp home mode

Ran a scan with Foxwell.

VTC worn fluid
Limp mode enabled
Misfire cylinder 1

Jeez. Brutal start. Decided to take it for a spin around block. That cleared the driveline lights! Sweet. I think xfer case adapting to actually having fluid!

As far as the cam sensors, I think when I hit the cam sensors with degreaser to clean front of engine from leaking oil housing I damaged them. Whoops. I thought I could get away with that. 2 new ones and two coil packs on way (1 for cylinder 1, and a spare). Not sure why coil suddenly died. Ran cylinder deactivation test from Foxwell and only cylinder 1 issue.

Hopefully smooth sailing after this. Will report back on the xfer case performance after running smooth.
Damn, that is a rough start.. Both literally and figuratively. Hopefully it'll be fixed soon. I hate coincidences like that. I've heard to get rid of the code you need to reset the tcase with ista
      05-15-2020, 05:28 PM   #5
DgjoX6M2016
F86, G05, E91
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DgjoX6M2016 View Post
Quote:

4x4
CEL
Brake
Limp home mode

Ran a scan with Foxwell.

VTC worn fluid
Limp mode enabled
Misfire cylinder 1

Damn, that is a rough start.. Both literally and figuratively. Hopefully it'll be fixed soon. I hate coincidences like that. I've heard to get rid of the code you need to reset the tcase with ista
Ok. Two new cam sensors and new cylinder 1 coil. Running like a champ....butter smooth and the xfer case was perfect!!! No lights at all....until I ran it WOT about a mile from home and threw a CEL. #2 cylinder misfire. Ladies and gentlemen..if one coil is going bad the others are right behind it. Learn from my mistake and replace them all. They are super inexpensive and easy. Now I have to undo the cover and replace the rest. I need a break and a few beers first.
Appreciate 2