F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Aftermarket HUD that Is Clean AND Financially Attainable? Nope.
GetBMWParts

05-08-2020, 09:35 PM   #1
homeryen88
Homer Yen
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 (sold Aug 2019); F30 Sedan

Aftermarket HUD that Is Clean AND Financially Attainable? Nope.

Aftermarket HUD that Is Clean AND Financially Attainable? Nope.

Before I continue with my blog below … if any forum members are actually running an aftermarket HUD of any kind, please kindly post a pic (and maybe a link on where to purchase).

In a heavily congested area like the DC metro, it is very important to keep your eyes on the road ahead. Truly, I do often feel that I am negotiating bumper-to-bumper traffic in both the city and on the highway just about 6 days a week. So, I am keen on adopting anything that can help to keep my eyes fixed on the road ahead and at least at or above the horizon line where the hood meets the asphalt.

THREE TYPES OF OPTIONS:
1. OEM RETROFIT: Let me get this option out of the way first as it is quite daring and beyond any reasonable level of commitment that I would ever have. It is a full-blown OEM retrofit. And, if you were curious, you could review this thread:
OEM HUD Retrofit – by SOSO2222
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1345464

Let me just applaud the efforts of forum member, SOSO222. Based on his thread, in order to achieve the “infinity” look, you’ll need all of these components: HUD projector; HUD-capable windshield; a specially-cut-ready-for-HUD dashboard; HUD insulator, HUD-enabled instrument cluster, and maybe some additional tools and wiring. I salute this enthusiast for finding their way through the wilderness on this one.

Pricewise, this could be feasible if you were fortunate enough / brave enough to procure the entire “BMW F30 Head Up Display Cluster Retrofit” setup off of Ebay. But looking at the various parts needed on www.getbmwparts.com, assembling a brand new system would be cost-prohibitive (maybe $6,000 for everything and not including labor – YIKES!).

2. “LAY FLAT” UNITS: You can lay a “flat” HUD unit on your dashboard, and I have seen a plethora of these on Amazon. “Lay-flat” units would cast a projection onto the interior of the windshield. A semi-transparent film would be affixed to the windshield to allow that projection to be displayed more clearly. My hesitation is that most of these lay-flat HUD units that I’ve seen will display an annoying abundance of unnecessary info; overwhelm you with a dazzling array of colors; and include overly-elaborate faux gauges resulting in this being more of a real-world distraction rather than a safety feature. Less is more. And I prefer having a clutter-free display. Also, I’m not sure how I feel about applying a piece of film to my windshield no matter how small and no matter how diaphanous the film is.

3. HUD WITH A SCREEN: I saw this thread for an OEM HUD screen:
BMW Head Up Screen retrofit (accessory) (BMW part # 62 30 2 361 627)
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1063158
This thread originated back in late 2014 (the system featured is no longer in production) which piqued my curiosity regarding HUD screens. Finding an aftermarket one, though, is extremely tough because of the odd layout of the F30 dashboard. While some vloggers show their HUD screens sitting in the middle of their car’s dashboards, that setup won’t work in the F30 because that area is taken up by the Central Info Display Screen and the mid-range speaker. And while other vloggers show their HUD screens sitting atop their instrument cluster, again, the F30’s dashboard design isn’t very conducive to setting a HUD (with a screen) unit up there. May-y-y-y-be you can nestle one into that concave indentation behind the instrument cluster. But, keep in mind that these types of HUDs have a flip-up screen and there is very little clearance (maybe no more than 2.3” / 58mm as we get closer to the windshield) to set up such a device. If the height of the base + screen is too great, it would block the HUD screen from fully unfolding to its upright position. So, about 99% of currently-available aftermarket HUD (with a screen) units just won’t fit.

An Example of an aftermarket HUD with a Screen – C500 OBDII
Find it on Google: “C500 OBDII HUD Amazon” or “C500 OBDII HUD Alibaba”
See it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJhtR9xvusg&feature=youtu.be

With measurements of 137mm x 79mm x 57mm (WxLxH) – 5.4” x 3.10” x 2.25”, this is just compact enough to nestle into that behind-the-instrument-cluster concave indentation (see pic). It is the only HUD with a screen that I’ve seen that can possibly fit there. I do like the clear display and easy-to-read info (the colors projected of aquamarine blue and pearl white is easy on the eyes despite the display area being just 40 mm / 1.57” tall). It has a sensor to dim the display at night / ratchet up the brightness in the daytime. And it has alerts that you can program should your speed/RPMs/coolant temp become too high.

But it is a noticeable add-on. It is more conspicuous than running a radar detector or a dash cam. Its inclusion is about as harmonious as having an air freshener attached to the vent. The larger font size and different font style creates a somewhat uneven aesthetic with the rest of the dashboard. And as you’ll see in the pic below, the HUD screen will be visible to oncoming cars. To mitigate this, I took some black construction paper and created a cut out and then taped it to the backside of the screen. Now, the info still projects clearly for the driver to see and won’t be a potential distraction to an oncoming driver. I think this product might be great for someone who is driving an SUV but I find it to be a bit bulky for the F30.

An Example of an aftermarket “lay-flat” HUD – DMP Car Design
Find it here: https://www.dmpcardesign.com/car-hud-headup-display-obd2-ii-euobd-overspeed-warning-system-projector-windshield-auto-electronic-voltage-alarm/index.php?route=common/home&tracking=5caf172c1e1ef
See it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hc-fcqn5JkE

There are literally hundreds of “lay-flat” HUDs on Amazon. But, I was attracted to its sexy and minimalist display. At 80mm x 50mm x 14mm (WxLxH) – 3.15” x 1.97” x .56”, it is very compact. Like the C500, this one has a light sensor and can also provide customizable alerts for RPM and speed and coolant temps. Display is very easy to read, but it’s not as in-your-face-perceptible as the C500 HUD.

The huge drawback is the diaphanous “reflective film” that you’ll need to attach to the windshield.
Most modern cars come with a double glassed windshield that may cause some amount of distortion when any “lay-flat” HUD displays onto the car’s windshield. So, the film mitigates that double image.

While the dimensions of the film do sound minimal – measuring 81mm x 101mm (3.2” x 4.0”) - and while you don’t really notice this from the driver’s seat (see pic), it is VERY noticeable to onlookers (see pic).

Oh Well
So, I wished that there were a clean yet financially attainable way to have a HUD. But it seems that you can’t have both. Mod On!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Palantir219.00
      05-08-2020, 09:57 PM   #2
ontheway
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 MSport 328i

I want one that supports android auto.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2020, 11:44 PM   #3
Mobster1983
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i

All I want is for my HUD to display RPM and what gear I am in. Why they don't do this on non-M cars is beyond me.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2020, 12:03 AM   #4
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428i Gran Coupe

I remember having a big tach with shift light on the corner next to the door... you guys are lucky you live this generation.
Appreciate 3
ronanz1819.50
Palantir219.00
      05-09-2020, 08:07 AM   #5
deviantspeed
poopycat
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31 330ixT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen13 F36 View Post
I remember having a big tach with shift light on the corner next to the door... you guys are lucky you live this generation.
Not sure what a honda piece of crap has to do with BMW or even prior genernations.

I'd rather have a honda and make it diafjb for entertainment. Did you diafjb your honda?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2020, 08:32 AM   #6
BimBimM2
Banned
Rep
Drives: M240xi 'Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by deviantspeed View Post
Quote:
Not sure what a honda piece of crap has to do with BMW or even prior genernations.

I'd rather have a honda and make it diafjb for entertainment. Did you diafjb your honda?
Why does your comment make no sense? I am not trying to be adversarial but what are you even talking about??
Appreciate 1
tardboi82.50
      05-09-2020, 08:35 AM   #7
deviantspeed
poopycat
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimBimM2 View Post
Why does your comment make no sense? I am not trying to be adversarial but what are you even talking about??
I'm wondering the same thing!
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2020, 09:03 AM   #8
Chaos236
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Porsche Cayenne , 640 GC

I love my HUD,especially for navigation!
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2020, 10:47 AM   #9
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Hahaha... just reminiscing back in the days. Even my friend 90's bimmer runs a 7" tach with shift light. Ya ya ya its was found on civic...those are the good old days ..... easy friends, don't get yourself work up for nothing

Enjoy
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2020, 10:48 AM   #10
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeryen88 View Post
You can lay a “flat” HUD unit on your dashboard, and I have seen a plethora of these on Amazon. “Lay-flat” units would cast a projection onto the interior of the windshield. A semi-transparent film would be affixed to the windshield to allow that projection to be displayed more clearly. My hesitation is that most of these lay-flat HUD units that I’ve seen will display an annoying abundance of unnecessary info; overwhelm you with a dazzling array of colors; and include overly-elaborate faux gauges resulting in this being more of a real-world distraction rather than a safety feature. Less is more.
The only thing I want to see is speed. I got a lay flat unit, covered everything except the speed with black electrical tape. The readout is hard to see in the day, so instead of the usual reflective film I put a small square of 5% transmission window tint film on the inside of the windshield. It's just a bit more than one inch square, sufficient for the speed readout, so it's hardly noticeable.
Appreciate 1
Palantir219.00
      05-09-2020, 12:05 PM   #11
Palantir
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
The only thing I want to see is speed. I got a lay flat unit, covered everything except the speed with black electrical tape. The readout is hard to see in the day, so instead of the usual reflective film I put a small square of 5% transmission window tint film on the inside of the windshield. It's just a bit more than one inch square, sufficient for the speed readout, so it's hardly noticeable.
I was wondering if that would work. I need speed only too. How did you secure the unit to the dash? I don't want to mount it permanently to the dash yet don't want if becoming a projectile in a crash.

Last edited by Palantir; 05-09-2020 at 09:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2020, 12:17 PM   #12
BimBimM2
Banned
Rep
Drives: M240xi 'Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by deviantspeed View Post
Quote:
I'm wondering the same thing!
Ah! Now it makes sense I read Gen13 F36's other comment. Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2020, 12:40 PM   #13
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ah! Now it makes sense I read Gen13 F36's other comment. Cheers!
You know what I want a newer version of those old days. Digital tachometer with shift light... design to look good on any modern car
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2020, 12:43 PM   #14
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palantir View Post
How did you secure the unit to the dash?
Most come with a piece of high friction silicone sheet that sits between the dash and the unit. It doesn't move at all. You tuck the wire that connects it to the OBD port between the dash and the other trim, so in a crash it wouldn't go far.
Appreciate 1
Palantir219.00
      05-09-2020, 09:33 PM   #15
Palantir
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
Most come with a piece of high friction silicone sheet that sits between the dash and the unit. It doesn't move at all. You tuck the wire that connects it to the OBD port between the dash and the other trim, so in a crash it wouldn't go far.
Thank you! Would definitely try your approach.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2020, 06:41 AM   #16
deviantspeed
poopycat
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You know what I want a newer version of those old days. Digital tachometer with shift light... design to look good on any modern car

Hah, I nailed it earlier...

But it would be cool, what you suggested, on a HUD that's not intrusive. Plus show the gears, especially when in tranny sport mode.

6 foot hugs from me, brother!
Appreciate 0