F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Seized M performance brakes?
Studio RSR

05-07-2020, 12:50 PM   #1
EddieF30
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 COMPETITION

Seized M performance brakes?

I recently had a company that paints calipers, cars etc paint my yellow m performance brake kit a red color to match my new 3 series. When I received them the first time, this guy really was dumb enough to paint over my brake pads & also didn't let my paint heal. So I took them back for him to repair it and instead of replacing my pads he sands them down! Not only that but he painted over my pistons. At this point I'm furious and I asked him to replace my whole brake kit and he's refusing saying his job was only to paint. I'm going to do a small claims report on him but I want to know if my calipers are seized from these pictures alone? Is this repairable? Just need a second opinion. Company IG : @mgscarcustoms
Attached Images

05-07-2020, 12:56 PM   #2
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Wow, tell us where you got that done so we can avoid it. Must be a fly by night shop. I can't believe they went through the trouble of removing the calipers but didn't spend 5 minutes taping off the pistons and removing the pads.

Either way, they probably work OK for now. There doesn't seem to be enough paint on the pistons to seize them.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2020, 01:01 PM   #3
EddieF30
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedownfunnel View Post
Wow, tell us where you got that done so we can avoid it. Must be a fly by night shop. I can't believe they went through the trouble of removing the calipers but didn't spend 5 minutes taping off the pistons and removing the pads.

Either way, they probably work OK for now. There doesn't seem to be enough paint on the pistons to seize them.
I actually dropped these calipers off to him. They were off my old 328i so I wanted to put this on my 340i so I thought it would be a lot easier to have him paint it that way. I track my car every now and then so I just don't want to run into any issues if these are actually going to be a problem you know? Just sucks because they were pricey.

The company instagram is @mgscarcustoms located in Los Angeles.
      05-07-2020, 01:06 PM   #4
andino
Captain
Rep
Drives: F31 328i xdrive

Not entirely surprised they didn't bother to tape off the pistons when one of the first things I see on their insta is a set of wheels with tires taped off being painted rather than being dismounted and properly sprayed.
      05-07-2020, 01:08 PM   #5
EddieF30
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by andino View Post
Not entirely surprised they didn't bother to tape off the pistons when one of the first things I see on their insta is a set of wheels with tires taped off being painted rather than being dismounted and properly sprayed.
One of the reasons why I thought it would be a whole lot easier dropping off my calipers instead of having them on my car, but I should of took that as a red flag on my end.
      05-07-2020, 01:11 PM   #6
andino
Captain
Rep
Drives: F31 328i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieF30 View Post
One of the reasons why I thought it would be a whole lot easier dropping off my calipers instead of having them on my car, but I should of took that as a red flag on my end.
I would look into rebuilding the calipers you had painted now. You'll probably need to pull the pistons out to clean and redo the orings after. You can DIY them (brembo should have steps somewhere) or take them to a shop.
      05-07-2020, 01:13 PM   #7
EddieF30
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I would look into rebuilding the calipers you had painted now. You'll probably need to pull the pistons out to clean and redo the orings after. You can DIY them (brembo should have steps somewhere) or take them to a shop.
I'll look into that thanks man
      05-07-2020, 01:15 PM   #8
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
I think it's somewhat common though lazy to have a bit of paint on the pistons. I doubt it would cause any issues. At the very least though, they should get you a new set of pads. Even if sanding works, it looks stupid to have those painted as well.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2020, 01:27 PM   #9
EddieF30
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedownfunnel View Post
I think it's somewhat common though lazy to have a bit of paint on the pistons. I doubt it would cause any issues. At the very least though, they should get you a new set of pads. Even if sanding works, it looks stupid to have those painted as well.
Yeah man he refused that as well. Saying that "my mechanic says nothing is wrong. He works on Ferrari's, bmws etc. and says the pads are fine that they just need to be sanded down" lol he said I was exaggerating. Dudes out of his mind and refused to buy me new ones.
      05-07-2020, 01:36 PM   #10
Palantir
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30

I would question proper function of the pistons/seals. Also their longevity, as paint might dry/lead to cracking of rubber its sprayed on. Paint on hot brake pads doesn't sound like a good idea either. Maybe the red they sprayed on is high temp but still, not stoked about painted pads.
The shop need to fix their mistake no matter what. Small claims court might be a good way of convincing them to learn how to paint in the future.
I have done my fair share of stupid things in my life too but the person who painted the calipers might be favored for this year's Darwin award
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      05-07-2020, 02:07 PM   #11
EddieF30
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palantir View Post
I would question proper function of the pistons/seals. Also their longevity, as paint might dry/lead to cracking of rubber its sprayed on. Paint on hot brake pads doesn't sound like a good idea either. Maybe the red they sprayed on is high temp but still, not stoked about painted pads.
The shop need to fix their mistake no matter what. Small claims court might be a good way of convincing them to learn how to paint in the future.
I have done my fair share of stupid things in my life too but the person who painted the calipers might be favored for this year's Darwin award
That's what I was originally thinking. That's why I'd rather just have it replaced if that's the case.

But yeah small claims is the move at the moment if he doesn't pay up!
Has to learn the hard way.
      05-07-2020, 03:09 PM   #12
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
Quote:
If you go this route and totally disassemble the calipers, you might as well do them correctly & send to a POWDERCOAT shop, not someone who spray paints...

Me thinks you would have done a better job yourself by painting with G2 Caliper Paint & a brush
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2020, 08:10 PM   #13
deviantspeed
poopycat
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31 330ixT

Quote:

This 100%.

If paint got in the caliper piston, it's done.

Not a hard job to r&r, but pistons and seals might cost a lot. I'd be after that and labor estimates. Best of luck OP!
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2020, 07:46 AM   #14
pshovest
BMW CCA 69606
Rep
Drives: '15 435i,'10 535i,'08 X5,'98M3

Sloppy work, no doubt........by all parties. Who decided not to remove the pads?
Rebuilding caliper is not needed. There is zero chance paint got to the caliper piston and seal.....the dust boot prevent this. Install and post pics.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2020, 08:01 AM   #15
deviantspeed
poopycat
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31 330ixT

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshovest View Post
Sloppy work, no doubt........by all parties. Who decided not to remove the pads?
Rebuilding caliper is not needed. There is zero chance paint got to the caliper piston and seal.....the dust boot prevent this. Install and post pics.
Except you will need to pull the caliper, pull the piston, and replace it. Reread it "if paint got in it", you can't deny that work. A dust boot is for dust, wow amazing reading.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2020, 10:56 AM   #16
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

EddieF30, thanks for sharing what is a cautionary tale of fundamental absence of professionalism. Painting calipers is one of the easiest jobs - as long as an experienced technician was assigned to the task. Did business owner provide an opportunity to speak with the technician? I suspect the technician never painted calipers before.
Appreciate 1
      05-09-2020, 11:49 AM   #17
Orion4
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sport Line Sedan

That is one "Shitty" job! Looks like something a 10 yr old kid might do!
Appreciate 3
Palantir219.00
Poochie9104.50
      05-09-2020, 12:48 PM   #18
pshovest
BMW CCA 69606
Rep
Drives: '15 435i,'10 535i,'08 X5,'98M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by deviantspeed View Post
Except you will need to pull the caliper, pull the piston, and replace it. Reread it "if paint got in it", you can't deny that work. A dust boot is for dust, wow amazing reading.
Amazing indeed.
You absolutely do not need to disassemble the caliper. Paint "didn't get into it" because of the dust boot. The paint on the end of the piston that contacts the pad, does not affect the ability of the caliper to hold brake fluid.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2020, 02:08 PM   #19
bellguy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 2019 440I M sport

Quote:
Amazing indeed.
You absolutely do not need to disassemble the caliper. Paint "didn't get into it" because of the dust boot. The paint on the end of the piston that contacts the pad, does not affect the ability of the caliper to hold brake fluid.
Totally agree, I have rebuilt many calipers and the way the dust boots fit, the paint could NOT get past them as they have a ridge inside that locates in a groove in the piston, they are dust tight, water tight and certainly paint tight, still should not have been painted like that, if he worked for me he would be done and gone.
A shoddy job which is a shame.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2020, 08:07 PM   #20
EddieF30
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellguy View Post
Quote:
Amazing indeed.
Totally agree, I have rebuilt many calipers and the way the dust boots fit, the paint could NOT get past them as they have a ridge inside that locates in a groove in the piston, they are dust tight, water tight and certainly paint tight, still should not have been painted like that, if he worked for me he would be done and gone.
A shoddy job which is a shame.
So in this case should I attempt to lightly take the paint off or leave as is and get the paint repaired? Not really sure how to go about this situation at the moment
      05-09-2020, 08:08 PM   #21
EddieF30
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
EddieF30, thanks for sharing what is a cautionary tale of fundamental absence of professionalism. Painting calipers is one of the easiest jobs - as long as an experienced technician was assigned to the task. Did business owner provide an opportunity to speak with the technician? I suspect the technician never painted calipers before.
The only thing they are offering is my money back for the paint job. Which is no way going to help me given the fact that he destroyed my stop tech brake pads & painted over the pistons.
      05-09-2020, 08:55 PM   #22
Palantir
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30

Quote:
The only thing they are offering is my money back for the paint job. Which is no way going to help me given the fact that he destroyed my stop tech brake pads & painted over the pistons.
Returning your money is a great first step. If they can return the calipers to their pre-Picasso state too that would leave them only wasting your time and patience.
To me, it comes down to how determined you are to teach them a lesson. If it is worth it to you, small claims is a nice way to deal with it. If you want to cut your losses you can just drop the case and hope that karma will come back to them
Regarding you refurbishing the calipers I would do a complete rebuild and new paint. Maybe their current state does not affect function (if dust covers were meant to be painted over they would have been from the factory) but, it will bug me that they are not done right.
In any case, I am very sorry for your experience. Obviously a "business" that does not deserve to have customers.

Last edited by Palantir; 05-09-2020 at 09:05 PM.. Reason: Added info
Appreciate 0