F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > M Sport Shifter T8 screw
Studio RSR

05-07-2020, 05:34 AM   #1
negacy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Hello! Does anyone know the specs of the T8 screw that holds the shifter in place and where to find a replacement? I took off the cover to wrap it and dumb me accidentally tossed it. Went to the dealership but apparently they only sell the entire shifter module. Thanks!

*Edit: AT gear selector, not manual shifter.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2020, 12:16 PM   #2
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by negacy View Post
Hello! Does anyone know the specs of the T8 screw that holds the shifter in place and where to find a replacement? I took off the cover to wrap it and dumb me accidentally tossed it. Went to the dealership but apparently they only sell the entire shifter module. Thanks!
You are right. Nowhere in realoem that I see. Or at least labeled for that function.

I am sure you could take one of the remaining ones to a BMW Parts Dealer or a Bolt and Screw Company to have them measure and replace.
Appreciate 1
negacy17.00
      05-07-2020, 01:27 PM   #3
negacy
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
Quote:
You are right. Nowhere in realoem that I see. Or at least labeled for that function.

I am sure you could take one of the remaining ones to a BMW Parts Dealer or a Bolt and Screw Company to have them measure and replace.
The thing is I don't know where else in my car uses that particular screw...Right now buying the OEM M performance CF trim is the only way since it does come with a spare, except that thing is $200+ which I'm not gonna pay over a single screw LOL.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2020, 02:31 PM   #4
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Junkyard.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2020, 02:33 PM   #5
Jvac
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i rwd

Quote:
Even the newtis procedure to remove/install the shifter cover only describes it as "screw". If there were any special qualities to that screw, I would think it would be described there. Not much help. In situations like these I would go to my junk drawer and VERY gently, so as not to damage the threading on the shifter, start trying spare screws until I found one that fit.
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...soles/I5pZFTqN
      05-07-2020, 03:21 PM   #6
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

The thing is I don't know where else in my car uses that particular screw...Right now buying the OEM M performance CF trim is the only way since it does come with a spare, except that thing is $200+ which I'm not gonna pay over a single screw LOL.
There are 4 holding the shifter in place.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2020, 07:47 PM   #7
visionaut
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 435iX GC & 1976 2002

I think the OP was trying to refer to the gear selector lever head, which he took off to wrap, and lost that single small retaining screw. ?? Not the gear lever itself, nor a manual shifter.

IIRC, that retaining screw was self-tapping, about 18 mm long, with a thin 1.5 mm or so shaft...
Appreciate 2
IK6SPEED4490.00
negacy17.00
      05-07-2020, 09:31 PM   #8
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by visionaut View Post
I think the OP was trying to refer to the gear selector lever head, which he took off to wrap, and lost that single small retaining screw. ?? Not the gear lever itself, nor a manual shifter.

IIRC, that retaining screw was self-tapping, about 18 mm long, with a thin 1.5 mm or so shaft...
Well, that's not what OP said as that does nothing to hold shifter in place, but it does make sense based on follow up statements.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2020, 10:11 PM   #9
negacy
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Well, that's not what OP said as that does nothing to hold shifter in place, but it does make sense based on follow up statements.
Quote:
Quote:

Sorry for the confusion, but yes basically what visionaut said.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Lmw16016.50
      05-07-2020, 10:17 PM   #10
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

If memory serves correct, isn't there a replacement screw in the gear selector repair kit? I've never purchased one but believe someone said one was included.

Then again, don't believe everything you read on the Internet.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...e/61319259007/

EDIT:

Or simply buy this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-GEAR-SH...7/202866186835

Better yet, use opportunity to upgrade to Sports Shifter.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2020, 10:34 PM   #11
negacy
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

If memory serves correct, isn't there a replacement screw in the gear selector repair kit? I've never purchased one but believe someone said one was included.

EDIT:

Or simply buy this:

Mine is actually already the M sport one, which I did find the repair kit for after browsing on ECS. Comes with the screw.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...BoCXM4QAvD_BwE

But that price tho...ouch
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2020, 11:29 PM   #12
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

EDIT:

Or simply buy this:

Mine is actually already the M sport one, which I did find the repair kit for after browsing on ECS. Comes with the screw.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...BoCXM4QAvD_BwE

But that price tho...ouch
Sorry. I was thinking of another thread where pic was not the sport shifter.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2020, 11:41 PM   #13
ronanz
Gettin It Figured Out
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435i FBO PS2 bm3 w/ options

a little cheaper, might want to message Jason to verify it comes with the screw

Repair Kit

My Build Thread can be found HERE
Appreciate 0