F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > 335i MPPK review and photo sesh
proTUNING Freaks
Closed Thread

05-06-2020, 09:55 AM   #1
MachinesWithSouls
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [10.00]
335i MPPK review and photo sesh

Hi all-

I’m the proud owner of a 2015 335i xDrive, which I purchased as a CPO about 16 months ago.

The car itself has been great, and is my second F30 - my first was an Estoril Blue 328i that I bought new and put over 120,000 miles on. The cars are comfortable, reliable and fun. They make the perfect daily.

I’ve also had an E92 M3 for almost 10 years (the 328 was my daily). When I decided to sell the M3 and consolidate to one car, I wanted to merge the reliability and cost efficiency of the 328 with the enjoyment of the M3.

Enter the 335. It was great fun stock, but the F cars were always a bit soft, in my opinion. Wanting to keep the warranty and reliability of the car intact, I opted to install the M Performance Power Kit, along with the M Performance exhaust. Finally, I plopped in a K&N filter in the intake.

Once I got the car back, I noticed an immediate difference in both power delivery and acceleration. Comfort has become the old Sport mode, and Sport+ with the MPPK really brings the car to what it probably should have been from the factory (there is almost too much power for the stock tuning of the chassis). In my opinion, it’s a “must” add-on, although with the 335 nearing the end of warranty period, other tunes will give you more power.

What about the exhaust? Well, first, know that there are 2 versions for the 335 - the original one that came out in 2012 I believe, and that’s the one I bought. The newer version is supposedly louder, which would have been nice, but BMW of El Cajon had the one I bought listed for half off, so I gave it a go.

In Sport mode, the car can give a nice backfire cackle, which is more pronounced with the MPPK. There is no rhyme or reason to when it happens though, so while an M3 or M5 might ALWAYS give you that back pressure pop when your throttle off, the 335 will only do it occasionally. In Comfort mode, there is almost no difference from the stock exhaust, and no drone. Some do the Golf Tee mod, but I’ve elected to leave it be for now.

Now, coming from an E92 with a Borla ATAK on, I can tell you there is no comparison, but then nothing really is, even a newer F80. That’s ok - my three year old wouldn’t really ride in the M3 as an infant, I was afraid it was too loud for her, and I did not want that kind of BOOM for the 335. So really, get this M Performance exhaust if you drive it every day and don’t want anything intrusive, but I’d go for the newer version (2014+). Otherwise, go aftermarket here, including what I’m sure is a very nice Borla ATAK option.

I can also tell you that, in a straight line, the 335 is about as fast as my old M3 was (which was manual). However, ones the road turns, there is no comparison.

A “cute” side effect is the BOV noise the car makes with the K&N installed - it’s loud. Even my F80 friends take notice when we go for drives. Very fun.

I should note that the car needed new spark plugs at about 45,000 miles (I installed the tune at about 33) - they said the car might go through plugs quicker, and that makes sense. I also had the car go into limp mode, which turned out to be a bad coil, and it happened right after they changed the plugs. May be related, may not be.

Otherwise, the car has an M Performance spoiler installed, IND color-matched grilles, and rear tints. Inside, I’ve put the full M Performance carbon fiber/alcantara trim kit in, along with a red IND start button, and gloss trim (with ambient light!) radio surround from an LCI 3 Series. Also installed are M Performance pedals, and of course mats. This helps make it feel a bit more special.

To keep the car’s appearance up, I use only AMMO NYC products, and I recently gave it a new coat of Reflex, Skin, Reboot and then Creme wax. Even those it rained in many of the shots, the car still looked great, with nice shine depth.

Although I’d love to do more, I think that I’m done working on this particular car. The new G80 will offer all-wheel drive, similar gas milage and aside from wider tires and bigger brakes, similar maintenance costs. But this will continue to be a daily I can enjoy.

Given the current situation of being stuck at home (I’m in New Jersey), I decided to wake up early Sunday morning and take the car for a solo photo shoot near New York City. If you guys like the shots, there are more at:

https://machineswithsouls.com/

On Insta at:
https://www.instagram.com/machineswithsouls/

Where you’ll find a lot of work for BMW, the Performance Center, AMMO NYC, and a blog that shows how I make the images.

Enjoy!

Name:  DSC_6400-1.jpg
Views: 1064
Size:  1.55 MB

Name:  DSC_6416-1.jpg
Views: 925
Size:  1.38 MB

Name:  DSC_6425-1.jpg
Views: 920
Size:  924.3 KB

Name:  DSC_6389-1.jpg
Views: 892
Size:  718.1 KB

Name:  DSC_6436.jpg
Views: 899
Size:  1.01 MB

Name:  DSC_6333-1.jpg
Views: 908
Size:  1.28 MB

Name:  DSC_6363-1.jpg
Views: 902
Size:  1.15 MB

Name:  DSC_6378-1.jpg
Views: 891
Size:  716.2 KB
Pauloxxi339.00
Poochie9104.50
MmmmmM22588.50
zamboni1130.50
Palantir219.00
Commerce278.00
J555568.50
      05-06-2020, 10:03 AM   #2
mcintoshf30
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F30 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoManyBlueCars View Post
Hi all-

I’m the proud owner of a 2015 335i xDrive, which I purchased as a CPO about 16 months ago.

The car itself has been great, and is my second F30 - my first was an Estoril Blue 328i that I bought new and put over 120,000 miles on. The cars are comfortable, reliable and fun. They make the perfect daily.

I’ve also had an E92 M3 for almost 10 years (the 328 was my daily). When I decided to sell the M3 and consolidate to one car, I wanted to merge the reliability and cost efficiency of the 328 with the enjoyment of the M3.

Enter the 335. It was great fun stock, but the F cars were always a bit soft, in my opinion. Wanting to keep the warranty and reliability of the car intact, I opted to install the M Performance Power Kit, along with the M Performance exhaust. Finally, I plopped in a K&N filter in the intake.

Once I got the car back, I noticed an immediate difference in both power delivery and acceleration. Comfort has become the old Sport mode, and Sport+ with the MPPK really brings the car to what it probably should have been from the factory (there is almost too much power for the stock tuning of the chassis). In my opinion, it’s a “must” add-on, although with the 335 nearing the end of warranty period, other tunes will give you more power.

What about the exhaust? Well, first, know that there are 2 versions for the 335 - the original one that came out in 2012 I believe, and that’s the one I bought. The newer version is supposedly louder, which would have been nice, but BMW of El Cajon had the one I bought listed for half off, so I gave it a go.

In Sport mode, the car can give a nice backfire cackle, which is more pronounced with the MPPK. There is no rhyme or reason to when it happens though, so while an M3 or M5 might ALWAYS give you that back pressure pop when your throttle off, the 335 will only do it occasionally. In Comfort mode, there is almost no difference from the stock exhaust, and no drone. Some do the Golf Tee mod, but I’ve elected to leave it be for now.

Now, coming from an E92 with a Borla ATAK on, I can tell you there is no comparison, but then nothing really is, even a newer F80. That’s ok - my three year old wouldn’t really ride in the M3 as an infant, I was afraid it was too loud for her, and I did not want that kind of BOOM for the 335. So really, get this M Performance exhaust if you drive it every day and don’t want anything intrusive, but I’d go for the newer version (2014+). Otherwise, go aftermarket here, including what I’m sure is a very nice Borla ATAK option.

I can also tell you that, in a straight line, the 335 is about as fast as my old M3 was (which was manual). However, ones the road turns, there is no comparison.

A “cute” side effect is the BOV noise the car makes with the K&N installed - it’s loud. Even my F80 friends take notice when we go for drives. Very fun.

I should note that the car needed new spark plugs at about 45,000 miles (I installed the tune at about 33) - they said the car might go through plugs quicker, and that makes sense. I also had the car go into limp mode, which turned out to be a bad coil, and it happened right after they changed the plugs. May be related, may not be.

Otherwise, the car has an M Performance spoiler installed, IND color-matched grilles, and rear tints. Inside, I’ve put the full M Performance carbon fiber/alcantara trim kit in, along with a red IND start button, and gloss trim (with ambient light!) radio surround from an LCI 3 Series. Also installed are M Performance pedals, and of course mats. This helps make it feel a bit more special.

To keep the car’s appearance up, I use only AMMO NYC products, and I recently gave it a new coat of Reflex, Skin, Reboot and then Creme wax. Even those it rained in many of the shots, the car still looked great, with nice shine depth.

Although I’d love to do more, I think that I’m done working on this particular car. The new G80 will offer all-wheel drive, similar gas milage and aside from wider tires and bigger brakes, similar maintenance costs. But this will continue to be a daily I can enjoy.

Given the current situation of being stuck at home (I’m in New Jersey), I decided to wake up early Sunday morning and take the car for a solo photo shoot near New York City. If you guys like the shots, there are more at:

On Insta at:

Where you’ll find a lot of work for BMW, the Performance Center, AMMO NYC, and a blog that shows how I make the images.

Enjoy!

Attachment 2303585

Attachment 2303586

Attachment 2303587

Attachment 2303593

Attachment 2303588

Attachment 2303589

Attachment 2303590

Attachment 2303591
What's your camera setup? Love the simple build!
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2020, 10:07 AM   #3
MachinesWithSouls
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcintoshf30 View Post
Quote:
Hi all-

I'm the proud owner of a 2015 335i xDrive, which I purchased as a CPO about 16 months ago.

I've also had an E92 M3 for almost 10 years (the 328 was my daily). When I decided to sell the M3 and consolidate to one car, I wanted to merge the reliability and cost efficiency of the 328 with the enjoyment of the M3.

Once I got the car back, I noticed an immediate difference in both power delivery and acceleration. Comfort has become the old Sport mode, and Sport+ with the MPPK really brings the car to what it probably should have been from the factory (there is almost too much power for the stock tuning of the chassis). In my opinion, it's a "must" add-on, although with the 335 nearing the end of warranty period, other tunes will give you more power.

What about the exhaust? Well, first, know that there are 2 versions for the 335 - the original one that came out in 2012 I believe, and that's the one I bought. The newer version is supposedly louder, which would have been nice, but BMW of El Cajon had the one I bought listed for half off, so I gave it a go.

In Sport mode, the car can give a nice backfire cackle, which is more pronounced with the MPPK. There is no rhyme or reason to when it happens though, so while an M3 or M5 might ALWAYS give you that back pressure pop when your throttle off, the 335 will only do it occasionally. In Comfort mode, there is almost no difference from the stock exhaust, and no drone. Some do the Golf Tee mod, but I've elected to leave it be for now.

Now, coming from an E92 with a Borla ATAK on, I can tell you there is no comparison, but then nothing really is, even a newer F80. That's ok - my three year old wouldn't really ride in the M3 as an infant, I was afraid it was too loud for her, and I did not want that kind of BOOM for the 335. So really, get this M Performance exhaust if you drive it every day and don't want anything intrusive, but I'd go for the newer version (2014+). Otherwise, go aftermarket here, including what I'm sure is a very nice Borla ATAK option.

A "cute" side effect is the BOV noise the car makes with the K&N installed - it's loud. Even my F80 friends take notice when we go for drives. Very fun.

Otherwise, the car has an M Performance spoiler installed, IND color-matched grilles, and rear tints. Inside, I've put the full M Performance carbon fiber/alcantara trim kit in, along with a red IND start button, and gloss trim (with ambient light!) radio surround from an LCI 3 Series. Also installed are M Performance pedals, and of course mats. This helps make it feel a bit more special.

To keep the car's appearance up, I use only AMMO NYC products, and I recently gave it a new coat of Reflex, Skin, Reboot and then Creme wax. Even those it rained in many of the shots, the car still looked great, with nice shine depth.

Although I'd love to do more, I think that I'm done working on this particular car. The new G80 will offer all-wheel drive, similar gas milage and aside from wider tires and bigger brakes, similar maintenance costs. But this will continue to be a daily I can enjoy.

Given the current situation of being stuck at home (I'm in New Jersey), I decided to wake up early Sunday morning and take the car for a solo photo shoot near New York City. If you guys like the shots, there are more at:

On Insta at:

Where you'll find a lot of work for BMW, the Performance Center, AMMO NYC, and a blog that shows how I make the images.

Enjoy!

Attachment 2303585

Attachment 2303586

Attachment 2303587

Attachment 2303593

Attachment 2303588

Attachment 2303589

Attachment 2303590

Attachment 2303591
What's your camera setup? Love the simple build!
Thank you!

These were shot with a Nikon Z7 and the 24-70mm f/4 lens.
      05-06-2020, 11:21 AM   #4
MmmmmM2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Garage List
2016 Mazda CX-5  [0.00]
2021 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Very nice!
Appreciate 1
      05-06-2020, 11:31 AM   #5
Fareed2997
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 435i M sport

Ran into the same issue. Was considering going with Valvetronic or M performance exhaust for my F32. Wanted something loud but not too obnoxious. I can say for sure the M performance exhaust begins to sound better as the miles begin to add up. Was considering the MPPK too, but for the cost of it, i can't seem to justify it. Would rather just go through with a Bootmod3, adding some power while being able to adjust the burbles with a CTS intake or so.
Appreciate 1
      05-06-2020, 11:32 AM   #6
thatBimmerBloke
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Nice review and pics. I've been thinking about getting the MPPK to retain my warranty which has about 2 years left. Already have the newer/louder version of the MPE, supposedly it gets better with MPPK. Will be interesting to see how long the charge pipe will last with the extra boost.
You might also want to take a look at adding the M Perf Diffuser, changes the rear look completely and takes 15 minutes to replace it.
Appreciate 1
      05-06-2020, 11:36 AM   #7
MachinesWithSouls
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fareed2997 View Post
Ran into the same issue. Was considering going with Valvetronic or M performance exhaust for my F32. Wanted something loud but not too obnoxious. I can say for sure the M performance exhaust begins to sound better as the miles begin to add up. Was considering the MPPK too, but for the cost of it, i can't seem to justify it. Would rather just go through with a Bootmod3, adding some power while being able to adjust the burbles with a CTS intake or so.
You are probably right about the tune. I drive...or used to drive about 100 miles a day, so reliability is key for me.
      05-06-2020, 11:37 AM   #8
MachinesWithSouls
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatBimmerBloke View Post
Nice review and pics. I've been thinking about getting the MPPK to retain my warranty which has about 2 years left. Already have the newer/louder version of the MPE, supposedly it gets better with MPPK. Will be interesting to see how long the charge pipe will last with the extra boost.
You might also want to take a look at adding the M Perf Diffuser, changes the rear look completely and takes 15 minutes to replace it.
Might not be to bad, it's essentially now the engine from the M235.
      05-06-2020, 11:47 AM   #9
Tommy-G
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 435 Vert Alpine White

Quote:

Given the current situation of being stuck at home (I’m in New Jersey)
What EXIT?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2020, 12:33 PM   #10
dan of montana
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F31 328i xDrive Wagon

Very impressive photography. Will give you a follow from my car account: https://www.instagram.com/revolvinggarage/

My F31 Featured on Revo Garage F31 328i M-Sport
Appreciate 1
      05-06-2020, 12:55 PM   #11
MachinesWithSouls
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyG-inFlaNow View Post
Quote:

Given the current situation of being stuck at home (I’m in New Jersey)
What EXIT?
I'm 123 off the parkway
      05-06-2020, 01:02 PM   #12
MachinesWithSouls
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan of montana View Post
Very impressive photography. Will give you a follow from my car account: https://www.instagram.com/revolvinggarage/
Thank you!
      05-06-2020, 01:13 PM   #13
Tommy-G
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 435 Vert Alpine White

Quote:
I'm 123 off the parkway
Hello neighbor, exit 135 until 2015 when I moved South to start my retirement for the next 20 years
Appreciate 1
      05-10-2020, 03:02 PM   #14
bobiam
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mineral White 2015 335xi

You're one of the first people to sound satisfied with the MPPK. I was thinking of adding it with no other options on my 335i but was not impressed with what I heard from other's that have done it. Did you get a chance to try it before the exhaust mod? Your advice?
      05-10-2020, 03:33 PM   #15
MachinesWithSouls
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobiam View Post
You're one of the first people to sound satisfied with the MPPK. I was thinking of adding it with no other options on my 335i but was not impressed with what I heard from other's that have done it. Did you get a chance to try it before the exhaust mod? Your advice?
I did put it on before the exhaust, and it does add those little pops and burbles in sport mode even with a stock exhaust.

As for the tune itself, I think it gives the car would it should have had from the factory, and wakes it up nicely. But I never expected it to turn the car into an M3 - 20hp isn't really a noticeable difference from your butt dyno. The throttle calibration makes the difference.

My car, which is an xDrive with all-season tires on it, would be overpowered by more juice. Maybe with a sport or lowered suspension and performance tires, a bigger tune would be better, but I just think the M tune is enough for me as a daily.
      05-11-2020, 09:37 PM   #16
razzy530
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i M Sport RWD

Quote:
I did put it on before the exhaust, and it does add those little pops and burbles in sport mode even with a stock exhaust.

As for the tune itself, I think it gives the car would it should have had from the factory, and wakes it up nicely. But I never expected it to turn the car into an M3 - 20hp isn't really a noticeable difference from your butt dyno. The throttle calibration makes the difference.

My car, which is an xDrive with all-season tires on it, would be overpowered by more juice. Maybe with a sport or lowered suspension and performance tires, a bigger tune would be better, but I just think the M tune is enough for me as a daily.
totally agree!

BMWCCA MEMBER 397411
Appreciate 1
      05-11-2020, 09:46 PM   #17
razzy530
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i M Sport RWD

I followed you on INSTA.
@razmotr

BMWCCA MEMBER 397411