F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Twin Exhaust
Studio RSR

05-04-2020, 01:57 PM   #1
Mitch100414
Ireland
Rep
Drives: BMW 4 Series 420d M Sport F32

Twin Exhaust

Hi folks, I'm based in Ireland and I'm driving a 2014 F32 420d M Sport XDrive. I've a single tail pipe exhaust but with a rear diffuser fitted to accommodate a twin exhaust. Initially when I got the car, the guy I bought it off (based in NI) suggested a twin exhaust would be an additional £450 if I was to go with it. He said it was merely an aesthetic upgrade as the twin exhaust would have no additional effect to the car so I decided to leave it. But now, a good few months on from getting the car and every time I approach it I've been thinking it would look great with a twin exhaust so I've been looking at a few possible upgrades I can make to it. Wondering how easy and costly it would be to get a twin exhaust fitted now. If it will only be an aesthetic upgrade naturally I don't want it to cost an arm and a leg. Any advice on what people have done to upgrade from single tail pipes is much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2020, 03:12 PM   #2
Jayden_F87
'20 M2 Comp.
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M2 Competition DCT

Garage List
Twin exhaust was a first mod I did for my 328i.

Usually people would put a Y pipe and put 2 small mufflers on both ends or just take off the muffler. What I did was get a big muffler that has a single 3 inch inlet and exit with two 2.5 inch pipes on both sides. It was around $300 U.S. without tips. I used two 4 inch tips that I had before which were $60. You could look for a used 335i or 335d muffler section to put on, which is also around $300 here.(same cost but keeps things OEM)

You wouldn't really gaining any power from going dual exhaust. Maybe the sound by going with some smaller mufflers?

IG: @porky_m2c
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2020, 03:15 PM   #3
Mitch100414
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sand.roh View Post

Usually people would put a Y pipe and put 2 small mufflers on both ends or just take off the muffler completely off. What I did was get a big muffler that has a single 3 inch inlet and exit with two 2.5 inch pipes on both sides. It was around $300 U.S. without tips. I used two 4 inch tips that I had before which were $60. You could look for a used 335i or 335d muffler section to put on, which is also around $300 here.(same cost but keeps things OEM)

You wouldn't really gaining any power from going dual exhaust. Maybe the sound by going with some smaller mufflers?
Thanks, yea I figure it wouldn't gain anything power wise, more just the aesthetic look really. Seems like there is something missing when looking at the rear diffuser and just the single pipe exhaust at the back of the car.
Appreciate 1
      05-04-2020, 03:32 PM   #4
Fez_7
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F30

I've got a F30 320d with a single tailpipe too and been looking at how I can upgrade it to look better. I've spoken to a few custom exhaust places who will do a backbox delete with twin tailpipe (2 pipes on the left rather than 1) and I've been quoted £120-£140 inc. VAT.

My only concern is whether deleting the backbox will cause a drone but they've reassured me there won't be a difference in sound so I'll be looking to get this done once lockdown is over.
      05-05-2020, 05:39 PM   #5
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

What do you mean my "back box" (sorry, lost in translation from english to english)

As long as you keep that midpipe resonator, then you shouldn't get any additional drone. This is mostly for look, but heh, who doesn't love the look of dual exhaust!

On my 340, "dual exhaust" is a single pipe from the engine back to a giant muffler with two outlets. Sooooooo "dual" is a bit misleading.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 08:18 PM   #6
Fez_7
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wires View Post
What do you mean my "back box" (sorry, lost in translation from english to english)

As long as you keep that midpipe resonator, then you shouldn't get any additional drone. This is mostly for look, but heh, who doesn't love the look of dual exhaust!

On my 340, "dual exhaust" is a single pipe from the engine back to a giant muffler with two outlets. Sooooooo "dual" is a bit misleading.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wires View Post

Backbox = muffler and I would call a twin tailpipe 2 pipes on the left and a dual exhaust would be tailpipes on both sides of the car
Wires1645.50
      05-07-2020, 12:57 PM   #7
chinniciF32
Noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: f32 n55

its too bad your not closer, I would sell you my stock f32 n55 xdrive EWG stock muffler for real cheap its been just sitting in my garage for almost 3months now (replaced with MPE of course), i just want to get rid of it really.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2020, 06:54 PM   #8
Kansas Corey
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 650i convertible

Quote:

Usually people would put a Y pipe and put 2 small mufflers on both ends or just take off the muffler. What I did was get a big muffler that has a single 3 inch inlet and exit with two 2.5 inch pipes on both sides. It was around $300 U.S. without tips. I used two 4 inch tips that I had before which were $60. You could look for a used 335i or 335d muffler section to put on, which is also around $300 here.(same cost but keeps things OEM)

sand.roh ----> Any pictures - very intrigued what this looks like!
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2020, 06:36 PM   #9
Jayden_F87
'20 M2 Comp.
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M2 Competition DCT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Corey View Post
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Corey View Post
Quote:

Sorry about the late response!
here are some photos. You can check more out on IG @sand.roh
Attached Images

IG: @porky_m2c
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2020, 04:54 PM   #10
jcdub
Lieutenant
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 330e M Sport

Have you tried Souhan's in Trim... They also do magnaflow exhausts and exhaust tails
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2020, 10:36 AM   #11
Mitch100414
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcdub View Post
Have you tried Souhan's in Trim... They also do magnaflow exhausts and exhaust tails
No I haven't actually, hadn't heard of them. I've just dropped them an inquiry so thanks for that. 👍🏻
Appreciate 0