F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > M Sport Steering Wheel Purchase
Extreme Powerhouse

05-01-2020, 10:58 PM   #1
rexmatt
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 540i

Garage List
2018 BMW 540i  [0.00]
M Sport Steering Wheel Purchase

Hello all!
I'm looking at buying a used F30 330e, but sadly, none of the cars around me have the M sport package optioned. The whole package would be nice, but the steering wheel is the only thing I really need. I've looked up some options for ones that I can buy and install myself, but it's a little confusing. Could someone please point me in the right direction to one that will work with my car, already has an airbag, and is reasonably priced? Thanks!
(Non-OEM is okay as long as it is nearly identical and high quality)
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2020, 02:02 AM   #2
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexmatt View Post
Hello all!
I'm looking at buying a used F30 330e, but sadly, none of the cars around me have the M sport package optioned. The whole package would be nice, but the steering wheel is the only thing I really need. I've looked up some options for ones that I can buy and install myself, but it's a little confusing. Could someone please point me in the right direction to one that will work with my car, already has an airbag, and is reasonably priced? Thanks!
Used steering wheels often come from cars that the air bag has activated. Insurance replaces steering wheels after airbag blows.

Used BMW Airbags are often counterfeit.

I would never buy either used unless I had some very clear answers from a reputable source.
Appreciate 3
      05-02-2020, 06:24 PM   #3
rexmatt
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW 540i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
Quote:
Hello all!
Used steering wheels often come from cars that the air bag has activated. Insurance replaces steering wheels after airbag blows.

I would never buy either used unless I had some very clear answers from a reputable source.
Thanks!
I are there any new ones available, or are most of them used?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2020, 06:31 PM   #4
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hello all!

Thanks!
Obviously new units are always available.

And there are legit used ones as well such as longtime respected forum members that have had their car since new and updated their units. (There are also scammers as there are anywhere on the Internet today). You just need to ask a lot of questions and have a high level of trust in the answers if that person deserves it after your hard questions. No question is dumb if someone is trying to sell you something like this.

A simple search will find endless stories about counterfeit BMW Airbags that even fooled some reputable auto companies and large federal crackdowns. When it comes to something that might save my life, I am not about to risk it to save several hundred dollars without a lot of confidence in what I'm buying.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2020, 06:48 PM   #5
rexmatt
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW 540i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hello all!

Thanks!
Obviously new units are always available.

And there are legit used ones as well such as longtime respected forum members that have had their car since new and updated their units. (There are also scammers as there are anywhere on the Internet today). You just need to ask a lot of questions and have a high level of trust in the answers if that person deserves it after your hard questions. No question is dumb if someone is trying to sell you something like this.

A simple search will find endless stories about counterfeit BMW Airbags that even fooled some reputable auto companies and large federal crackdowns. When it comes to something that might save my life, I am not about to risk it to save several hundred dollars without a lot of confidence in what I'm buying.
I totally agree, thanks!
Appreciate 0