F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > BMW 4 Series Question (thinking about buying one)
proTUNING Freaks

04-30-2020, 03:49 PM   #1
hctibukcuf
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 5 Series

BMW 4 Series Question (thinking about buying one)

I currently own a 07 BMW 530XI, ive had it for about 7 years now, However the car has been a money pit and currently will not start (not creating spark)

I am looking for an AWD sedan so the 2 cars that have caught my eye has been

BMW 4 Series GC
or
Lexus IS 300 F sport

both cars are about the same performance wise when looking up specs (besides for the 440 v6 models) i have not drove a lexus before but i understand there is not many things like driving a BMW.

the BMW ends up having slightly more space inside the car along with a huge trunk compared to the lexus. As well as a much updated control center for heat/touch screen.
Ive heard lexus controls are hard to use and many clicks needed, have not heard much about BMW's.

the main concern would be how much of a money pit would this car be? just as bad? i saw it received alot of awards for reliability, but that does not take in the cost to repair. and are there notable marks i should look out for?

what i am finding the most are a bunch of 2017s 4 series with 2 previous owners and 20-50k miles on it. about the same with lexus however only 1 owner.

(if anyone is curious about the codes on the BMW 3 codes pull, p1017, p107a, p1030) spark plugs coils changed, and the vvt solenoids on the front changed no spark. so it seems to be the actual sensor inside i assume.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2020, 05:16 PM   #2
orbE46
United_States
Rep
Drives: 340i & 325Ci

Overall these cars are much improved from the E60/E65/E90 cars. Those cars were on the very cutting edge of not so tested technology in every aspect.

Is the 4 series gonna be as reliable as the Lexus? Probably not. But it'll almost certainly be a step up from the E60. Just have to decide if that's a tradeoff you're willing to make.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2020, 05:33 PM   #3
HarryTee
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4CP & 2017 440i GC

I generally find the 440i (one of your purchase candidates) reliable. I've got two of them and so far, apart from very minor issues, they haven't let me down. To test the cost of repairs, I'm paying for extended warranty for one but not for the other so that I can see the repair cost both ways. This reflects to some extent my confidence in the acceptable cost of repairs for the 440i.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2020, 05:43 PM   #4
davidr3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryTee View Post
I generally find the 440i (one of your purchase candidates) reliable. I've got two of them and so far, apart from very minor issues, they haven't let me down. To test the cost of repairs, I'm paying for extended warranty for one but not for the other so that I can see the repair cost both ways. This reflects to some extent my confidence in the acceptable cost of repairs for the 440i.
Would love to see these results down the line
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2020, 05:59 PM   #5
PK2348
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 330i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by hctibukcuf View Post
I currently own a 07 BMW 530XI, ive had it for about 7 years now, However the car has been a money pit and currently will not start (not creating spark)

I am looking for an AWD sedan so the 2 cars that have caught my eye has been

BMW 4 Series GC
or
Lexus IS 300 F sport

both cars are about the same performance wise when looking up specs (besides for the 440 v6 models) i have not drove a lexus before but i understand there is not many things like driving a BMW.

the BMW ends up having slightly more space inside the car along with a huge trunk compared to the lexus. As well as a much updated control center for heat/touch screen.
Ive heard lexus controls are hard to use and many clicks needed, have not heard much about BMW's.

the main concern would be how much of a money pit would this car be? just as bad? i saw it received alot of awards for reliability, but that does not take in the cost to repair. and are there notable marks i should look out for?

what i am finding the most are a bunch of 2017s 4 series with 2 previous owners and 20-50k miles on it. about the same with lexus however only 1 owner.

(if anyone is curious about the codes on the BMW 3 codes pull, p1017, p107a, p1030) spark plugs coils changed, and the vvt solenoids on the front changed no spark. so it seems to be the actual sensor inside i assume.
Are you seriously asking if bmw is comparable in reliability to a Lexus?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2020, 06:06 PM   #6
davidr3
Captain
Rep

Lexus reliability will definitely destroy BMW. Test drive both and see if one wins you over, i'm not sure what you like doing with your cars (modding, spirited driving, meets etc.) but one will fit your needs more then the other. All I can say is try to grab a 2016 or newer for the BMW just to avoid the shitty timing chain issues. (If you're grabbing the 4 cyl)
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2020, 06:27 PM   #7
Elvisfan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 430ix convertible MGM

You are asking subjective questions when you should be testing these things yourself. Look on this forum and you will see recommendations not to own a Bmw out of warranty. Unless you can fix them yourself. The fact that 2017 BMWs have already had 2 owners may tell you something. No survey is going to put Bmw and Lexus in the same class for reliability. Drive the Lexus.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2020, 09:33 PM   #8
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428i Gran Coupe

You gotta keep up with maintenance on bought Lexus and BMW. It might be a little cheaper on the Lexus.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2020, 11:35 PM   #9
Fareed2997
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 435i M sport

Driven the lexus IS 300 F sport when deciding between that or the 435. like everyone stated, the lexus will give you that peace of mind for reliability. But a lexus is def not a BMW in terms of how the drive feels. Fell in love with how the BMW drove and honestly the n55 isnt all too bad with reliability. just stay on top of it. Both cars are good cars, cant go wrong. Best of luck.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2020, 05:50 AM   #10
deviantspeed
poopycat
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31 330ixT

You seriously like that huge ass grill on the lexus?

It's like 90% of the front end.

I would never adopt a lexus, but that's my opine.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2020, 09:44 AM   #11
hctibukcuf
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 5 Series

Thank you everyone for all the remarks,

I am not a great with working on cars, myself so i will defiantly get a warranty,
When buying a BMW 430 or 440, are there notable marks i should look out for? such as lets say the miles are 37k, are there parts like the timing chain that usually should be replaced at 50k? i cannot find a mile schedule online. the guy i usually go to for all of this Moved away which lead me to these formus. I might be possibly researching the wrong words for that i described.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2020, 03:58 PM   #12
davidr3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hctibukcuf View Post
Thank you everyone for all the remarks,

I am not a great with working on cars, myself so i will defiantly get a warranty,
When buying a BMW 430 or 440, are there notable marks i should look out for? such as lets say the miles are 37k, are there parts like the timing chain that usually should be replaced at 50k? i cannot find a mile schedule online. the guy i usually go to for all of this Moved away which lead me to these formus. I might be possibly researching the wrong words for that i described.
If you buy a 2017 you won't need to worry about timing chain issues. That's all fixed with the LCI models and the B engines. Beyond that i've heard these engines are really reliable as long as you stay on top of maintenance of course. (Fluids, Oil etc)
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2020, 05:58 PM   #13
BoyOhBoyyy
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Coming from someone who owned the IS250 for 6 years before moving to the BMW 435i Gran Coupe with 35k miles 2 months ago, I would say ya, maintenance costs will be lower but not substantially lower. But I would say, if you plan to keep the car very long-term like 3-6 years and want to keep it past 100k miles, then the Lexus would have my vote. You can drive wherever and not worry with the spare wheel in the trunk. On the other hand, BMW N55 engines are way more reliable than your past experience but I wouldn't dare plan to keep it past 100k miles, that's for sure. Although they're reliable, I wouldn't take my chances only because big repairs are more bound to happen whereas the Lexus would cruise through from 100k to 175k (what I sold it at) with 0 problems. The excitement getting into a BMW is unlike anything and Lexus just got me from one place to the next, mindlessly like on autopilot most times
Appreciate 0