F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > You get what you pay for ?
proTUNING Freaks

04-25-2020, 09:26 PM   #1
Jakejacobsonn
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw 328i f30

You get what you pay for ?

Hey guys I don’t know if this was ever asked before. But I’m always looking at different parts and better performance.. and obviously always looking for the best bang for my buck but with the millions different parts and brands are the name brands always better. So I just ordered my last piece to be FBO my Intercooler. I went with vrsf I’ve never heard any negative talk about there brand I also have there DP Installed nothing but good things to say. Is there really a difference though with some others parts I see Intercoolers from 200$ to 900$ are you paying mostly for fitment, or how well that part will perform with these big name brands like vrsf evolution race works Wagner and a million others how different from each other are they? I decided to get the cheaper Intercooler the 379$ vrsf but how much better is the 499$ vrsf one or the 800$ Wagner one or even the 200$ tuner one. I’m hoping the one I got will make a difference I was heat soaking today not even really getting on it in 60 degree weather today on Long Island it got me thinking about should I have gone with the most expensive parts I could for my car because I keep hearing you get what you pay for. My spelling and grammar aren’t gonna be great reading this I’m typing this on my phone.!
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2020, 09:36 PM   #2
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
DP is just a hollow pipe so the cheapest brand name that's known to fit is going to be the smartest move. Build quality should also be considered but to a lesser extent since this is a hidden piece of hardware.

For intercooler... there is more engineering involved so you need to be a bit more careful. But the general consensus is to choose one that is not too large or you may have trouble with the stock turbo (increasing lag due to such a large void for turbo to fill).

More money does not always mean better for your particular build... for example, theres a guy on here selling a CSF intercooler because he thought spending big money meant he was making a smart move. Nope... in this case it just bought him a massive intercooler meant to be used with an aftermarket turbo.

Do your homework.
Appreciate 1
      04-26-2020, 03:01 AM   #3
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

You lost me after the second sentence. Sorry.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2020, 03:59 AM   #4
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
VRSF has had a rash of fitment issues. If you're looking to roll the dice and save some money, it's worth a shot. If you want to have less chance of having to redo work on your car, then it's safer to buy a brand like Wagner or ER.

VRSF also has issues with returns. They refused to send me a replacement unless I bought a new one from them, then returned the defective one. Then when they saw I had written an honest review about fitment issues, they refused to send me a return label or refund me for my original part. They basically held my money hostage until I removed the negative review.

In the end, they're a budget brand. They'll have lesser customer service and lower quality parts. Even a catless downpipe has to be manufactured to some level of accuracy and spec otherwise it won't fit or might cause an exhaust leak. I'm sure that the majority of the parts they send are just fine and can be made to fit with a bit of massaging. It's just up to you if that's worth it to you. It's like going to Walmart to get the best deal possible or spending significantly more at a department store. You pay more for functionally the same stuff but you sacrifice a lot of things.

So long story short, yes you do get what you pay for.
Appreciate 2
1QuikWS61621.50
      04-26-2020, 07:43 AM   #5
Fliplegend
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435ix F33

FWIW those $200 G-Plus inter coolers have gotten some pretty positive feedback. Of course if you plan on tracking the car, that one may not work. For DD with spirited driving though, I'm not convinced shelling out an extra $200+ is worth it.
sspade2464.50
      04-26-2020, 10:49 AM   #6
tardboi
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i xDrive MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fliplegend View Post
FWIW those $200 G-Plus inter coolers have gotten some pretty positive feedback. Of course if you plan on tracking the car, that one may not work. For DD with spirited driving though, I'm not convinced shelling out an extra $200+ is worth it.
Yeah, theyre wagner copies IIRC. Shows you what an absurd margin some of these aftermarket parts have.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2020, 11:07 AM   #7
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fliplegend View Post
Agreed 100%

Love my G Plus unit. Worlds better than stock and the best value on the market in my opinion.

If you look closely... some other budget look eerily similar. Hmm?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2020, 10:44 AM   #8
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedownfunnel View Post
VRSF has had a rash of fitment issues. If you're looking to roll the dice and save some money, it's worth a shot. If you want to have less chance of having to redo work on your car, then it's safer to buy a brand like Wagner or ER.

VRSF also has issues with returns. They refused to send me a replacement unless I bought a new one from them, then returned the defective one. Then when they saw I had written an honest review about fitment issues, they refused to send me a return label or refund me for my original part. They basically held my money hostage until I removed the negative review.

In the end, they're a budget brand. They'll have lesser customer service and lower quality parts. Even a catless downpipe has to be manufactured to some level of accuracy and spec otherwise it won't fit or might cause an exhaust leak. I'm sure that the majority of the parts they send are just fine and can be made to fit with a bit of massaging. It's just up to you if that's worth it to you. It's like going to Walmart to get the best deal possible or spending significantly more at a department store. You pay more for functionally the same stuff but you sacrifice a lot of things.

So long story short, yes you do get what you pay for.
While we've had issues in the past with a couple of parts, those issues have been resolved. If you need reassurance of these corrections, you can ask your favorite vendor on this forum since they're most likely a VRSF rep

We were the first to offer a sub-$300 downpipe on this platform and we have thousands of happy F30 customers who are now purchasing our G30 parts. We find that most customers who purchase from us end up purchasing again after their initial purchase and we work hard to maintain customer satisfaction in order to keep our repeat customers happy.

I'm incredibly sorry about your individual experience and I'd be more than happy to personally resolve your issue if you're still having problems with a component purchased with us. Feel free to PM me with a reference to this thread link if there's anything we can do to assist with your problem.

We've been in the business for over 16 years and we have literally thousands of positive reviews across multiple forums, websites, review websites and google. We are also one of the highest volume manufacturers on this forum that are based in the USA. Please remember that even if we maintain a .5% defect rate, we're going to have more complaints about issues compared to a less established company.

Now while this isn't directly related to the OP, I've been a part of this forum for over a decade and I have to note a new trend I've noticed. Over the past few months we've worked with the mods to ban at least half a dozen members who have written bad reviews and then offered us to remove these reviews in exchange for compensation. For the folks who are surprised to see so many negative posts related to VRSF, please note the post count of these reviews. If you saw a positive review from a member with less than 10 posts, you would assume the review to be fake simply based on the fact that there's very little post history. Why isn't that logic applied to negative reviews? Below is an example of why you're seeing more negative VRSF posts than positive.

Last edited by Tiago@VRSF; 07-17-2020 at 11:21 AM..
Appreciate 0