F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Wet footwells (Sunroof drain/port issue)
Extreme Powerhouse

04-20-2020, 09:56 AM   #1
desmat
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: F31 M Sport

Garage List
Wet footwells (Sunroof drain/port issue)

Hey guys,

Did a spring clean of my car and after a few days noticed that my driver footwell was wet. After searching for infos, I poured water from the open sunroof to see if the drain was clogged. I tought it was BUT to my surprise, water went on the garage floor. The things is that it ALSO got inside the car, dripping on the light switch area and on the side of it (dash) and wen to the driver footwell.

Also did the test on the passenger side and same thing !

So, based on your experiences, should I look for clogged holes in the wheel wells or open the headliner and check for disconnected port/ drain hose ?

Thanks!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-20-2020, 12:53 PM   #2
dmaxdmax
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i 6-spd

I don't know the specific paths of water in this car, but maybe start by removing the A-pillars and looking to see if it's coming down the inside of them? If so, I'm sure there's an elbow or the like that's connected to the sunroof drains.

Realoem.com should give you some idea of what's where and give you a better clue.

dmax on FB

My last pre-covid standup set
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2020, 01:08 PM   #3
desmat
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Yes I can see water coming down the A-pillars... What you're saying confirms what I was thinking. I will take a look at the site (thanks!) and A-pillars...
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2020, 01:19 PM   #4
desmat
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Weird thing, "water outlet hose front" is not listed on https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=54_0461

only rear hose (#3 on diagram)...
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2020, 01:36 PM   #5
dmaxdmax
Captain
United_States
Rep

...so maybe check around the sunroof to see where there might be some blockage of water trying to drain out the rear?

...and if you have no water drains (aka the hose), you may still have a path for water to drain from the front. Usually, you wouldn't have much water there anyway with the sunroof tilted, and driving, but I'm sure there must be some sort of path...and seems like yours might just be blocked?

If nothing else, maybe you get to save money on parts?

Mine does have the front drain hose: https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=54_0460

dmax on FB

Appreciate 0
      04-20-2020, 04:27 PM   #6
jared21927
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 550i

Your drains are clogged somewhere. Check on the outside around the windows. There's a slight gap around that trim. see if you have something slim like a trim tool or old credit card and run it through there. That was my issue
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2020, 07:42 AM   #7
desmat
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jared21927 View Post
Your drains are clogged somewhere. Check on the outside around the windows. There's a slight gap around that trim. see if you have something slim like a trim tool or old credit card and run it through there. That was my issue
Hi Jared, not sure where to look when you say "outside around the windows". I was thinking about removing the A-pillar cover to have a look inside like dmaxdmax suggested..
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2020, 07:55 AM   #8
jared21927
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by desmat View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jared21927 View Post
Hi Jared, not sure where to look when you say "outside around the windows". I was thinking about removing the A-pillar cover to have a look inside like dmaxdmax suggested..

See where I have that paper? There's a slit around your window. Run a credit card or something thin through there and make sure it's not clogged
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-21-2020, 08:54 AM   #9
desmat
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Ok I get it now, thanks will try that for sure!
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2020, 07:34 AM   #10
desmat
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
I finally removed the A-Pillar trim and pop the headliner out a little just enough to see where water was going. Drain connections were solid and water was running fine in the drain to the floor (drain exit is on the side just below front door hinge).
When pouring more water from the sunroof rails & "catch basin" I noticed I poured too much water and water overflowed the rails and went directly on the headliner, bypassing the drain.

So 2 things:
- I must have pressure washed too much the sunroof area
- I poured too much water when testing for leaks
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-22-2020, 12:33 PM   #11
JavN
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp/Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by desmat View Post
I finally removed the A-Pillar trim and pop the headliner out a little just enough to see where water was going. Drain connections were solid and water was running fine in the drain to the floor (drain exit is on the side just below front door hinge).
When pouring more water from the sunroof rails & "catch basin" I noticed I poured too much water and water overflowed the rails and went directly on the headliner, bypassing the drain.

So 2 things:
- I must have pressure washed too much the sunroof area
- I poured too much water when testing for leaks
I think you're pouring too much water when testing for leaks, probably why it's overflowing. Unless the drain does have a clog allowing some of the water to drain but not fast enough. Try using some compressed air through the drains to start so that you know for sure the lines are clear. Since I've had my car I've only used a pressure washer to clean it and I've never had a problem with leaks and I've had it 3 years now.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2020, 12:47 PM   #12
dmaxdmax
Captain
United_States
Rep

What's interesting is that according to the diagram you'd sent, you don't have drain hoses in the front, but you clearly do.

Hope that's all it is... the drains shouldn't have to handle much rain even in the worst of conditions...whether it's tilted or closed, very little is getting in there. Not sure how it got into a-pillar, but maybe also check your door gaskets. I found that 3 of 4 of my door gaskets had sections that had become unstuck. Very disappointed bmw couldn't glue them down better.

dmax on FB

Appreciate 0
      04-22-2020, 01:58 PM   #13
desmat
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
I've sent some air in the drains to be sure and if I pour some water (a little less haha) it goes on the floor fine.

I agree that the pano roof diagram (base on my VIN) shows no drain but there are for sure.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0