F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > F30 Steering wheel leather dye repair help?
proTUNING Freaks

04-18-2020, 06:28 AM   #1
jonnyni
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 520d

F30 Steering wheel leather dye repair help?

Hi Folks,

Has anyone successfully repaired the leather colour on their steering wheel?
I Was cleaning mine yesterday and unfortunately the colour lifted in one area.

If anyone has fixed theirs with a dye kit can they please let me know where it was purchased from etc?

Regards,
J
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2020, 06:52 AM   #2
Alscoob
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G31 540i M Sport Edition

These guys seem knowledgeable, give them a call they are happy to chat about repairs.

https://shop.leatherrepaircompany.co...nt=61736519179
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2020, 07:57 AM   #3
SantaEugence
Major
Rep
Drives: F30 330d xDrive Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyni View Post
Hi Folks,

Has anyone successfully repaired the leather colour on their steering wheel?
I Was cleaning mine yesterday and unfortunately the colour lifted in one area.

If anyone has fixed theirs with a dye kit can they please let me know where it was purchased from etc?

Regards,
J
Which cleaner/method were you using?
I've got some Dr Leather with a brush supplied, i was going to do my wheel but I'm worried it'll lift the dye off.
There's quite a few videos on YouTube specifically about repairing and dying a BMW wheel maybe worth a look?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2020, 08:11 AM   #4
jonnyni
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantaEugence View Post
I've got some Dr Leather with a brush supplied, i was going to do my wheel but I'm worried it'll lift the dye off.
There's quite a few videos on YouTube specifically about repairing and dying a BMW wheel maybe worth a look?
Dr leather wipes where fine for me before on this occasion I used G techniq I2 interior cleaner and it removed the coating . I have seen loads of videos but looking some information on where is best to purchase the dye from that is the same colour as the factory leather.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2020, 08:19 AM   #5
jonnyni
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alscoob View Post
These guys seem knowledgeable, give them a call they are happy to chat about repairs.

https://shop.leatherrepaircompany.co...nt=61736519179
Have sent them an email. Hopefully they can offer the same colour and finish as factory.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2020, 08:26 AM   #6
SantaEugence
Major
Rep
Drives: F30 330d xDrive Auto

Quote:
Quote:
Dr leather wipes where fine for me before on this occasion I used G techniq I2 interior cleaner and it removed the coating . I have seen loads of videos but looking some information on where is best to purchase the dye from that is the same colour as the factory leather.
Is that the i2 tri cleaner? It should be suitable for leather (apparently) where did you buy it, may be worth going back to the supplier or Gtechniq and asking what's going on? I'd be pretty annoyed if I used a cleaner that says suitable for leather/car seats and it stripped the dye off - although not sure if steering wheel leather falls into a different category
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2020, 09:54 AM   #7
jonnyni
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Is that the i2 tri cleaner? It should be suitable for leather (apparently) where did you buy it, may be worth going back to the supplier or Gtechniq and asking what's going on? I'd be pretty annoyed if I used a cleaner that says suitable for leather/car seats and it stripped the dye off - although not sure if steering wheel leather falls into a different category
That's the one, Will be ordering a repair kit from the above company so will update my results next week hopefully.

The 2 colours for black is "Strong black" and "Weak Black" I think I will go for weak black as the wheels aren't really a dark black in colour :/. Hopefully its the right choice.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2020, 12:22 PM   #8
James-335dx
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335d M Performance

Mine did the exact same. I'm not convinced the top of the wheel is leather as always felt a little different so could possibly be a coated fabric? A lot of manufactures do the same to cut costs, sides of the seats etc. I opted to have my wheel recovered by Royals and I'm super happy with the results
Attached Images

04-18-2020, 01:04 PM   #9
jonnyni
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by James-335dx View Post
Mine did the exact same. I'm not convinced the top of the wheel is leather as always felt a little different so could possibly be a coated fabric? A lot of manufactures do the same to cut costs, sides of the seats etc. I opted to have my wheel recovered by Royals and I'm super happy with the results
that looks great, how much was the retrim? And was it an exchange service or send yours off and wait? Any more details on it?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2020, 01:13 PM   #10
James-335dx
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
that looks great, how much was the retrim? And was it an exchange service or send yours off and wait? Any more details on it?
Yes, found them through this forum as a lot of guys have had theirs done with him. I did it all through email and went for the exchange service with fitting, so they trim an existing same spec wheel to your desired combination and then you go to them for them to swap the wheels over which takes less than an hour. Had mine done 6 months ago and I love it. Cost me £175 fitted which is think it great value for the quality.
Attached Images

04-18-2020, 02:53 PM   #11
jonnyni
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Yes, found them through this forum as a lot of guys have had theirs done with him. I did it all through email and went for the exchange service with fitting, so they trim an existing same spec wheel to your desired combination and then you go to them for them to swap the wheels over which takes less than an hour. Had mine done 6 months ago and I love it. Cost me £175 fitted which is think it great value for the quality.
I'm in northern Ireland so would need a exchange via Postal service. Will give them a shout after I try the dye kit from the above I think.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2020, 03:01 PM   #12
otee10
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 LCI

I have been in this same situation myself. Professional leather repair companies were quoting me around £70 onwards, which I felt was not worth it. I had also stressed the importance of recreating a matte finish, none of them could assure me of this. I tried to then redye the affected areas myself and completely failed to replicate a clean 'matte' finish. It was always leaving a very shiny/sweaty looking finish.

I would suggest a full steering wheel retrim using Royal Steering Wheels. I went down this route myself, the wheel looks brand new with a matte finish. I believe you would very much struggle to replicate otherwise.

Last edited by otee10; 04-18-2020 at 03:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2020, 03:03 PM   #13
otee10
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 LCI

[IMG][/IMG]

Here is my wheel done by Royal Steering Wheels. Just standard retrim with cream stitching.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-18-2020, 04:39 PM   #14
James-335dx
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I'm in northern Ireland so would need a exchange via Postal service. Will give them a shout after I try the dye kit from the above I think.
Great time to do it if they're still open. Especially if you're driving as much as I am at the moment. My cars barely moved in 3 weeks