F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > USB ports not working at all.
GetBMWParts

04-15-2020, 01:28 PM   #1
alanm
Rep
Drives: f15

USB ports not working at all.

Hey all. I’ve had an id6 retrofitted and it’s been working fine.
In the last few days I’ve had some coding done, change to screen settings and CarPlay activated.
Now though, my USB ports are both dead. If I plug in a hard drive, it powers up, so they are clearly powered, but don’t get recognised by the headunit. I’ve tried plugging in different usb sticks, formatted to fat32. These worked after the retrofit but now dont. If I plug in an iPhone, it doesn’t get recognised.
Everything else works fine, USB ports just not recognising anything that’s plugged in.

Could these have been coded out accidentally? Or any idea what could be wrong here
Appreciate any help
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2020, 09:31 PM   #2
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanm View Post
Hey all. I've had an id6 retrofitted and it's been working fine.
In the last few days I've had some coding done, change to screen settings and CarPlay activated.
Now though, my USB ports are both dead. If I plug in a hard drive, it powers up, so they are clearly powered, but don't get recognised by the headunit. I've tried plugging in different usb sticks, formatted to fat32. These worked after the retrofit but now dont. If I plug in an iPhone, it doesn't get recognised.
Everything else works fine, USB ports just not recognising anything that's plugged in.

Could these have been coded out accidentally? Or any idea what could be wrong here
Appreciate any help
So you made changes in the coding, the USB aren't recognized and wondering if they could have been coded out?

Move to the front of the class.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2020, 12:27 AM   #3
alanm
Rep

You’re helpful. Maybe instead of being a dick, you could try to help? If you’re capable of that.
A few things;
1. I didn’t make changes, a coder dialled in and made them remotely.
2. The issue of the USB’s not working wasn’t apparent straight away, as I didn’t have use for the USB ports for days.
3. The coder has said that he only made some vo changes first and later some fdl changes to screen size and that he’s confident he didn’t change anything to do with USB.
4. Nothing that I can find online suggests that USB ports can actually be coded out.

Last night, I decided to check the FA from a few days after the retrofit against the current one in the car and found some small discrepancies, these; 2PA,302,420,8SM, are no longer listed. I’m going to add them back in today and see if it fixes the issue, but nothing I see online suggests these are related.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2020, 01:23 AM   #4
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
You're helpful. Maybe instead of being a dick, you could try to help? If you're capable of that.
A few things;
1. I didn't make changes, a coder dialled in and made them remotely.
2. The issue of the USB's not working wasn't apparent straight away, as I didn't have use for the USB ports for days.
3. The coder has said that he only made some vo changes first and later some fdl changes to screen size and that he's confident he didn't change anything to do with USB.
4. Nothing that I can find online suggests that USB ports can actually be coded out.

Last night, I decided to check the FA from a few days after the retrofit against the current one in the car and found some small discrepancies, these; 2PA,302,420,8SM, are no longer listed. I'm going to add them back in today and see if it fixes the issue, but nothing I see online suggests these are related.
Something related probably was disabled when you VO coded specific options.

Incase our resident troll jumps at my throat for not choosing my words correctly; disclaimer, I'm 100% on this but the person in the thread below had a similar issue, so I'm assuming it's related. Good luck.

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh....php?t=1162401
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-16-2020, 02:01 AM   #5
alanm
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Something related probably was disabled when you VO coded specific options.

Incase our resident troll jumps at my throat for not choosing my words correctly; disclaimer, I'm 100% on this but the person in the thread below had a similar issue, so I'm assuming it's related. Good luck.

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh....php?t=1162401

Thank you Poochie, that is helpful. I’m going to try and replace the values in the FA today. Not sure i know enough to try coding FDL items, but I’m going to try and find a good guide and see if I can do it.
Appreciate the help!
Appreciate 1
Poochie9104.50
      04-16-2020, 10:58 AM   #6
alanm
Rep

So, I've been busy trying to figure this out, set up esys and took a look at the VO coding, made a few changes to see would it help. Didn't do anything. Tried to change the codes in the post that Poochie suggested, couldn't find those but found similar and made changes. They didn't do anything either.
I then injected a CAFD into HU_NBT to see if that could be the issue, didnt do anything.
I then coded the HU_NBT ecu back to default to see if there had been some FDL coding gone astray. That didn't fix it either.

What I have noticed is that there is no AUX option on the Media Source menu, Don't know if there was before. Seems like there should be though?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2020, 01:23 PM   #7
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Not sure your sequence of events, but if you code VO into a module, it will revert everything else you touched back to defaults.

I have an AUX on my media screen, but haven't messed with the USB settings. Helpful FYI, if you start typing the coding string you are looking for at the top of the ISTA screen (in the search box), you can then find/jump to the proper item.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2022, 10:47 AM   #8
LikeNo1
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 F25 X3 LCI x20d Msport

Quote:
So, I've been busy trying to figure this out, set up esys and took a look at the VO coding, made a few changes to see would it help. Didn't do anything. Tried to change the codes in the post that Poochie suggested, couldn't find those but found similar and made changes. They didn't do anything either.
I then injected a CAFD into HU_NBT to see if that could be the issue, didnt do anything.
I then coded the HU_NBT ecu back to default to see if there had been some FDL coding gone astray. That didn't fix it either.

What I have noticed is that there is no AUX option on the Media Source menu, Don't know if there was before. Seems like there should be though?
Hello there.
Have you found a solution?
Same problem, but after the iStep upgrade.

EDIT
Solved my problem; here solution: problem was the USB hub.
In general first check if USB ports behind HU works.
https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1925611

Last edited by LikeNo1; 10-17-2022 at 10:54 AM..
Appreciate 0