F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Need Opinions on a Used F30!
proTUNING Freaks

04-13-2020, 07:37 PM   #1
J-Blizz
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 335xi M-Sport w/ PPK

Hey everyone! With all this craziness currently going on in the world, I managed to crash my very very clean E90 335 on the way to work...(Hydroplaned on the highway and was NOT speeding) I literally bought it 2 months ago and had to do a lot of digging around to find it. Tons of preventative maintenance w/ service records, M-Sport package, mint interior, etc.

Anyways, the car was deemed a total loss and now I'm on to the next as sad as the situation is/was. In my past car-search I found a 2014 335xi Estoril Blue, 65k miles w/ a few options (I'm absolutely in love with the color). Exterior and interior are very clean overall.

Previously brought it to BMW for a PPI and they said the car only needed a new ignition wiring harness and a battery.

Fast forward to this weekend, took it for another PPI at a local mechanic to be safe now that some time has passed and I have a laundry list of issues with the vehicle I'm potentially buying. Leaking valve cover gasket, leaking oil pan, needs a new ignition wiring harness because a squirrel or chipmunk nested in the engine bay...., leaking seal from the front diff and some or one of the lines that supply the turbo with oil are leaking. What's funny is that with all of these issues the car runs and drives smooth as butter. Mechanic quoted me at 2500 to get all of the work done ASIDE from the oil pan.

#1. Is the car worth owning/fixing? (Want to keep it for years to come)

#2. Is that a fair price for the work I mentioned?

I would love anyones input! Haven't been able to get the seller to budge on the price but I dont think I'm going to be able to find one like this with these options and color for quite some time with all this chaos going on.

Thanks in advanced!

Car itself is 18,800 plus tax

Mechanic wants 2500 to fix all but oil pan issue

VIN: WBA3B9G52ENR91996

This link has pictures of the car, the car fax and the nesting seen. Overall it seems to have a decent service record but clearly the most recent owner was not on top of maintenance (even though he used to work at a dealer....chance he just wasn't aware of the issues but who knows). I know he wont budge on the price anymore than he already has and I'm pretty deep in this deal so if I want to back out then I need to do so ASAP.

View post on imgur.com

Last edited by J-Blizz; 04-14-2020 at 02:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2020, 08:23 PM   #2
Elvisfan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 430ix convertible MGM

You’re asking if it’s worth it without saying what you are paying. I assume the mechanic showed you the leaks. Only you can decide if the selling price plus the $2500(min) is worth it. I don’t see how anyone on here give you an evaluation based on the vague information given.
Appreciate 1
      04-13-2020, 08:26 PM   #3
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428i Gran Coupe

Yup... you forgot the price and add a vin# while your at it. So we can decide for ourselves and give you our opinion.
Appreciate 1
      04-13-2020, 08:26 PM   #4
J-Blizz
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvisfan View Post
You're asking if it's worth it without saying what you are paying. I assume the mechanic showed you the leaks. Only you can decide if the selling price plus the $2500(min) is worth it. I don't see how anyone on here give you an evaluation based on the vague information given.
Valid points. Updated with the information requested. My biggest concern is the integrity of the vehicle tbh
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2020, 08:29 PM   #5
J-Blizz
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen13 F36 View Post
Yup... you forgot the price and add a vin# while your at it. So we can decide for ourselves and give you our opinion.
Haha looks like im slacking. Vin is posted
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2020, 10:53 PM   #6
F30lolz
I can haz cheezburger?
Rep
Drives: 14 Sahara/08 335xi/22 Maverick

Garage List
Is the car being sold by a private party or a small used car lot?
Appreciate 1
      04-14-2020, 12:17 AM   #7
BMWinAZ
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i, ‘08 328i, ‘03 316ti

Garage List
Based on the limited info and the pricing plus potential repair cost, I would not buy this car. You can find a cleaner example with lower miles in this price realm. The fact that rodents made a home in the engine bay alone would be a reason not to buy this. Who knows what other problems you will find down the line related to these squatters.

These cars are not rare and with a little bit of searching you can find another one in the color you like with fewer problems and lower miles.
Appreciate 3
Wgosma806.00
Rebound152.50
      04-14-2020, 02:15 AM   #8
J-Blizz
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30lolz View Post
Is the car being sold by a private party or a small used car lot?
Sold by a private party
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2020, 02:17 AM   #9
J-Blizz
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWinAZ View Post
Based on the limited info and the pricing plus potential repair cost, I would not buy this car. You can find a cleaner example with lower miles in this price realm. The fact that rodents made a home in the engine bay alone would be a reason not to buy this. Who knows what other problems you will find down the line related to these squatters.

These cars are not rare and with a little bit of searching you can find another one in the color you like with fewer problems and lower miles.
Even during these times? Also, what other info would you want?

Mechanic said it was a good car overall. Just has those problems. Obviously he had a peek at it but not sure what to think!
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2020, 02:18 AM   #10
bmwchue
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 328i

if you can negotiate that price down since you have to spend 2500 to fix it that will be a better deal
Appreciate 2
BMWinAZ104.00
      04-14-2020, 02:25 AM   #11
davidr3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwchue View Post
if you can negotiate that price down since you have to spend 2500 to fix it that will be a better deal
This, use it as leverage. Nobody wants a "new" car just to dump 2.5k into it (possibly more) to fix a bunch of shit.
Appreciate 1
bmwchue242.00
      04-14-2020, 08:37 AM   #12
whatevs
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 bmw 328

I personally would not buy this car knowing that I have to spend about $2.5K right away. Just look for something else.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2020, 09:15 AM   #13
BMWinAZ
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i, ‘08 328i, ‘03 316ti

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Blizz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWinAZ View Post

Even during these times? Also, what other info would you want?

Mechanic said it was a good car overall. Just has those problems. Obviously he had a peek at it but not sure what to think!
You may have all the info you need or can get. With "limited info" I was just referring to the the fact that I have not driven this car, seen it in person or spoken to the seller. I agree with others that you should use the findings of your mechanic to lower the price by 2.5k if you really have your heart set on this specific car. For $ 15 or 16k this my be a good deal, much more realistic than 18k plus adding on the repair costs. Again, even though you may like the color, the MSport package etc., these are not rare cars, the miles are not super low and it is not a manual. Also, with the economy heading downwards (due to the pandemic) dealerships are motivated to adjust their prices, which also puts pressure on private sellers.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2020, 12:42 PM   #14
Randy Johnson
M340i
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Garage List
2021 BMW M340i  [10.00]
I would pass. Too many red flags. Mileage is high for price. Year is too old for my tastes.

The for sale section had quite a few nice selections recently.
Appreciate 1
      04-14-2020, 12:43 PM   #15
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428i Gran Coupe

Yup .... I decided I won't buy this car....
Appreciate 1
      04-14-2020, 01:19 PM   #16
kpgray
GasCompressor
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche 911 Cabriolet

Quote:
...Fast forward to this weekend, took it for another PPI at a local mechanic to be safe now that some time has passed and I have a laundry list of issues with the vehicle I'm potentially buying.
  • Leaking valve cover gasket,
  • leaking oil pan,
  • needs a new ignition wiring harness because a squirrel or chipmunk nested in the engine bay....,
  • leaking seal from the front diff and
  • some or one of the lines that supply the turbo with oil are leaking

Mechanic wants 2500 to fix all but oil pan issue

VIN: WBA3B9G52ENR91996
I would not bother,
  1. it is really odd to have all these leaking locations, oil pan, head gasket and front differential, why?? was this a flood repair?? Did it sit for two or three years without running?? What if it was run low with oil? If it sat for couple years, the transmission clutches could have dried out and future premature failure may be in lie for buyer.
  2. If a rodent nested in there, not all damage can be found, they can chew a wire or hose and it would fail at an inconvenient time or worse you could have a rouge fail and never figure it out (occasional wire short or fuse blown or partial stripped wire with signal interference that would never be found)
  3. Turbo charger oil is not only for lubrication, it is also for the cooling of turbo!! Damage would show up later and you have no recourse.

I would RUN from this one and never think twice!!!

2022 Porsche 911 Cabriolet Agate Grey/Black PDK
2019 440i M-Sport Smoke Topaz Metallic/Opel (Sold)
2014 335i M-Sport Black/Beige MPPK/MPE (Totaled)
2013 328i Sport xDrive Imperial Blue/Grey (Sold)
Appreciate 1
      04-14-2020, 08:49 PM   #17
J-Blizz
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpgray View Post
I would not bother,
  1. it is really odd to have all these leaking locations, oil pan, head gasket and front differential, why?? was this a flood repair?? Did it sit for two or three years without running?? What if it was run low with oil? If it sat for couple years, the transmission clutches could have dried out and future premature failure may be in lie for buyer.
  2. If a rodent nested in there, not all damage can be found, they can chew a wire or hose and it would fail at an inconvenient time or worse you could have a rouge fail and never figure it out (occasional wire short or fuse blown or partial stripped wire with signal interference that would never be found)
  3. Turbo charger oil is not only for lubrication, it is also for the cooling of turbo!! Damage would show up later and you have no recourse.

Thank you EVERYONE for all of your help! This swayed me in the right direction. Deciding not to buy the car. Looks and drives clean but I don't want a car that wasn't maintained properly. That's what all of these things add up to. If you seriously care about your car then I feel like you would be aware of issues like this.

On to the next! If anyone can help me find an Estoril blue 340i X-Drive in or around MA then please let me know. Ideally under 50k miles

Currently looking at this one. I would love to hear your opinions on this:

VIN: WBA8B7G58GNT95885

https://www.centralmotorsales.com/de...8gnt95885.html

Slightly worried about the CarFax I pulled... damage reported but not sure how or where. Also, no record of any oil change on the Carfax or Autocheck but it was a lease. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks again everyone!
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2020, 09:43 AM   #18
SantaEugence
Major
Rep
Drives: F30 330d xDrive Auto

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpgray View Post
I would not bother,

Thank you EVERYONE for all of your help! This swayed me in the right direction. Deciding not to buy the car. Looks and drives clean but I don't want a car that wasn't maintained properly. That's what all of these things add up to. If you seriously care about your car then I feel like you would be aware of issues like this.

On to the next! If anyone can help me find an Estoril blue 340i X-Drive in or around MA then please let me know. Ideally under 50k miles

Slightly worried about the CarFax I pulled... damage reported but not sure how or where. Also, no record of any oil change on the Carfax or Autocheck but it was a lease. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks again everyone!
Hit the nail on the head there I think. If someone hasn't maintained their car properly and allowed majority of these issues to develop then what else haven't they bothered to do, or worse botched
Appreciate 1
      04-15-2020, 01:00 PM   #19
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:

Thanks again everyone!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SantaEugence View Post
Hit the nail on the head there I think. If someone hasn't maintained their car properly and allowed majority of these issues to develop then what else haven't they bothered to do, or worse botched
The fact that services don’t show up on CarFax or Auto Check should be taken with a grain of salt, as should everything that does show up. Reporting is entirely voluntary and you could drive a truck through the things CarFax and Auto Check miss.

From the listing the car looks very good, but it’s the in person examination that tells the tale. Take the VIN to a local BMW service department and ask a service advisor to check the car’s history. He probably won’t give you a copy, but should be willing to answer whether the scheduled services were performed. You might get a service advisor to do this over the phone, but you may need to show up in person.
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

04-15-2020, 02:28 PM   #20
thatBimmerBloke
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
Take the VIN to a local BMW service department and ask a service advisor to check the car’s history. He probably won’t give you a copy, but should be willing to answer whether the scheduled services were performed. You might get a service advisor to do this over the phone, but you may need to show up in person.
On my last visit to the dealer my SA told me if the oil-change was done at some third party shop then it wont show up in their records, I asked if it is applicable even when they reset the oil change warning and he had the same answer. Not sure if that is right.
Appreciate 1
      04-15-2020, 09:40 PM   #21
J-Blizz
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
The fact that services don’t show up on CarFax or Auto Check should be taken with a grain of salt, as should everything that does show up. Reporting is entirely voluntary and you could drive a truck through the things CarFax and Auto Check miss.

From the listing the car looks very good, but it’s the in person examination that tells the tale. Take the VIN to a local BMW service department and ask a service advisor to check the car’s history. He probably won’t give you a copy, but should be willing to answer whether the scheduled services were performed. You might get a service advisor to do this over the phone, but you may need to show up in person.
Can't thank you guys enough for your advice/responsiveness. Thinking about pulling the trigger on the last one I posted. It drives great and is extremely clean overall. My only gripes are some paint chips on the hood and two rims have a few scuffs. The dealer said they would repaint the hood if I'm not satisfied with it after they attempt to clean it up (car was a little dirty when I saw it). Very nice/reasonable guys there so far.

So next I plan on bringing the car to the mechanic for a PPI. It's still under the factory warranty until September but that leaves a bit desired tbh. Wish it were at least a full year!
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2020, 12:43 AM   #22
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Can't thank you guys enough for your advice/responsiveness. Thinking about pulling the trigger on the last one I posted. It drives great and is extremely clean overall. My only gripes are some paint chips on the hood and two rims have a few scuffs. The dealer said they would repaint the hood if I'm not satisfied with it after they attempt to clean it up (car was a little dirty when I saw it). Very nice/reasonable guys there so far.

So next I plan on bringing the car to the mechanic for a PPI. It's still under the factory warranty until September but that leaves a bit desired tbh. Wish it were at least a full year!
You might want to consider www.drcolorchip.com rather than a repaint. The system works quite well. I would be a little afraid of getting a good color match with repainting the entire hood. Wheels can be repaired for about $125 each. Maybe you can get the dealer to take care of it.

Good luck.
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!