E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Wastegate solenoid A fault code P0243

04-08-2020, 09:55 PM   #1
alex sol
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 335d

Wastegate solenoid A fault code P0243

I finally got my D back on the road after about 8 months of goofing around... back story is... lost oil, spun bearing, put a rod thru side of the case... found a donor motor, swapped in, broke the oil pan (didn't tighten the four transmission bolts first), then broke the hole that hold the transmission coolant lines and had to drill and tap new threads to the exterior of the trans and then broke the transmission oil pump tooth (had no clue you put the torque converter in the trans then join the motor... tried it the opposite way), found donor trans, swapped in pump, dropped in for the four or fifth time and had the hardest time getting fuel pressure. had to tighten the fuel rail lines after finding a tiny leak. starter wouldn't turn and tried new starter. turns out it was the ground strap turning green and brittle and hanging by a few threads. swapped in and could now drive the car but had nasty shudder from below the shifter area. pulled the exhaust (again) and swapped in a new flex disc and seems to fix the problems...
cleared all the codes except one... po243. thinking that when i replaced the vacuum lines, i could have swapped the lines incorrectly?

can anyone advise which is solenoid A (vs B). I suspect it's the small turbo as i am getting 20-22 psi and almost instant acceleration and seems to fizzle out quickly...

when you look at the solenoid, is the vacuum in the center or outside the center?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 10:00 PM   #2
alex sol
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

i have 178,000 kms on the D so might be original solenoids.. are these aka pressure converters? i see some $25 knock offs on Ebay. Anyone have luck with these? Previous to the engine blow up, i had excellent power / torque with no hesitation and smooth pulls showing 30 psi on the Torque App and feel i may have reversed the vacuum lines.. also having very difficult time removing the 2 wire harness to the solenoid/converter. do you have to remove the white tab completely then slip out the harness.. they are so much cleaner of the 335i with the more common spring loaded silver tab... i have egr, cooler, dpf, nox sensors deleted.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2020, 12:57 AM   #3
Owen81
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335d, 17/22 TDI

Yozh and a friend put together some videos for testing the vacuum system. I haven't watched all of it but knowing him, I imagine its pretty thorough.
Take a look:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPc...4XFepK_Rqlnw0A
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2020, 09:53 PM   #4
alex sol
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

thanks for the info.. wondering if anyone can provide quick answer. do we have the pressure converter with the inlet/ outlet in the center and toward the outside? which one is the inlet?
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2020, 12:22 AM   #5
_N54
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335d

Damn man you been through some war with your 335d..
      04-12-2020, 11:01 AM   #6
alex sol
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

yeah i really struggled with the transmission not knowing how it went back in... plus a bunch of other drama. runs well now and needs some minor stuff... glow plug controller, front sway links, possible rear bearing.. found on the newtis the routing of the vacuum lines to the solenoid.. looks like vacuum line comes from under the intake to the outer and goes to the wastegate from the middle of the solenoid... still getting about 24 psi boost... surprised it doesn't pull past the usual the 31 psi... then again i may be lifting off because it's so quick.. with no dpf and tuned 2.5 or whatever it is i have from jr...
Appreciate 0