E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Loud ticking noise after cold start

03-30-2020, 10:05 PM   #1
redz06
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i sedan

Loud ticking noise after cold start

My car is a 2011 335i sedan with a Sport Package. It was a European Delivery and I know its complete history from new. Presently, it has 85,000 miles on the clock. Last year I had the water pump, the oil filter housing gasket, and the entire belt and pulleys replaced. Until recently, it has been fine. Then I noticed on cold starts that there is a loud ticking noise coming from the front of the engine. You can hear it in the car. The noise persists and increases with RPM until the engine warms up and the radiator fan starts. Then the clicking noise completely goes away. So by the time I get the car to the service shop it is quiet again.

Any thoughts about what is wrong and how to fix it? I am having a hard time connecting the dots between the way the noise goes away and what to do to fix it.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 10:48 PM   #2
Chad053
Rep
Drives: BMW e92

Hi mate, this is nothing to worry about, very normal for pre LCI models. I think it has to do with the hydraulic lifters, especially if you don't daily drive the car. Has something to do with calibration and so on, i'm no expert. Go on youtube and search for BMW ticking noise and you'll get a lot of video to compare the sound. It apparently doesn't affect the car in no way, there's a lot of people who mentioned a bunch of possible fixes but I didn't care. The lifters are apparently fixed to not have this noise in LCI models. I hope this helps, I heard it the following day after purchasing mine and it freaked me out, lol.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 09:12 AM   #3
marvinstockman
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i

If you want the shop to look at it, leave car overnight, and let them start it from cold.

That said, and as was said, probably lifter leakdown noise. What oil are you using?
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 06:03 PM   #4
redz06
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvinstockman View Post
If you want the shop to look at it, leave car overnight, and let them start it from cold.

That said, and as was said, probably lifter leakdown noise. What oil are you using?
Sorry for my ignorance, but what is an LCI model? Engine is an N55. I really doubt that this is lifter noise.

I am using Castrol Edge 0w-40. Just did an oil and filter change today. I took off the bottom cover in hopes of hearing the noise better, but could not determine a source. As the engine came to temperature, the noise faded away.

I should say I can clearly hear the noise at standstill and also under way. It increases with RPM. The noise is there with the AC off and the car in neutral with the clutch off.

Any chance this could be a hydraulically actuated timing chain tensioner sticking?

I will be taking it to an indy shop and leaving the car overnight, so the owner can start the car cold and listen for the noise. Maybe he can find it better than I did.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 05:43 PM   #5
Chad053
Rep
Drives: BMW e92

LCI is the updated version which came after 2010. Just had a look at your original post, so you should have the updated version, especially with the N55 engine. I know the lifters got fixed in the N52 LCI which is what i have (pre LCI N52) but I suspect it should have been fixed in yours too. So it might be something else, better get professional help
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 09:21 PM   #6
redz06
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Loud Ticking after Cold Start

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad053 View Post
LCI is the updated version which came after 2010. Just had a look at your original post, so you should have the updated version, especially with the N55 engine. I know the lifters got fixed in the N52 LCI which is what i have (pre LCI N52) but I suspect it should have been fixed in yours too. So it might be something else, better get professional help
Thanks Chad, I intend to follow your advice and seek help with a local independent German car shop, one which has more of my confidence than the local BMW dealership (which is basically looking for new business in my experience).

I posted this chain in hopes that there may be other owners who have already experienced the same problem, if it is even a problem. I would always prefer to learn from the experiences of others if possible.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2020, 01:16 PM   #7
opjose
Major
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Search on injector noise here.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2020, 06:44 PM   #8
redz06
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Loud Ticking after Cold Start

Quote:
Originally Posted by opjose View Post
Search on injector noise here.
Done the search, and by the way I just changed the engine oil (Castrol Edge 0-40) and the gauge says the level is at the maximum.

I doubt this is a lifter for two reasons:
1. It is coming from the front of the engine, not the head, and
2. The noise goes away when the engine reaches normal temperature. By the time the radiator fan starts, the noise is gone. For the life of me I cannot explain how a lifter would do that.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 03:48 PM   #9
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by redz06 View Post
Done the search, and by the way I just changed the engine oil (Castrol Edge 0-40) and the gauge says the level is at the maximum.

I doubt this is a lifter for two reasons:
1. It is coming from the front of the engine, not the head, and
2. The noise goes away when the engine reaches normal temperature. By the time the radiator fan starts, the noise is gone. For the life of me I cannot explain how a lifter would do that.
because engine oil viscosity changes with temperature.

it's pretty common for my n52 to tick until it gets warm.

you need to take the engine cover off and actually go looking for the noise with a stethoscope so you can pinpont what it comes from.
Appreciate 0