F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Wanted to keep the car quiet, + another question
ARMA SPEED

03-30-2020, 11:11 AM   #1
gertpacu
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M Sport Package

Wanted to keep the car quiet, + another question

Hey y'all. I was looking at an enclosed Dinan CAE and a fabspeed catted downpipe. I don't like loud cars. Did all that when I put a turbo on my old Acura RSX-S when I was 15 years younger. Can I keep it relativemy quiet if I put a JB4 with catted dp and enclosed dinan cae? I wanted to keep is simple and clean.

I have a dinan sport on my vehicle as well. That does NOT work with the JB4 right? I might be giving that away (free) to someone here as well like I did with my lock thing.
      03-30-2020, 11:21 AM   #2
alohasurftoad
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 440i gran coupe w/mppsk

yes, get the fabspeed

in terms of performance for dollar, intake(especially dinan) is a waste of $$$. get a wagner evo I competition intecooler instead and a turbosmart(plumb-back) blow off valve.

your N55 charge pipe should be changed as well, get an ER, FTP Motorsport, CTS Turbo.

JB4 is out, Flash tunes such as BM3 and MHD are in.
Appreciate 2
jh_f301308.00
nbay8970.00
      03-30-2020, 11:34 AM   #3
jh_f30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sportline Auto RWD

I agree. By pretty much all accounts, intakes are almost purely for sound and aesthetics. The Dinan carbon one is a LOT of money for sound (that you don't really want) and pretty carbon fiber (that no one will see unless you open your hood).

Even a catted DP will make your car a bit louder, but if you keep everything aft of that stock (midpipe & muffler), it shouldn't be dramatically louder.

+1 on the flash tune over piggyback.
++1 on the upgraded chargepipe.
      03-30-2020, 12:49 PM   #4
gertpacu
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohasurftoad View Post
yes, get the fabspeed

in terms of performance for dollar, intake(especially dinan) is a waste of $$$. get a wagner evo I competition intecooler instead and a turbosmart(plumb-back) blow off valve.

your N55 charge pipe should be changed as well, get an ER, FTP Motorsport, CTS Turbo.

JB4 is out, Flash tunes such as BM3 and MHD are in.
Thanks for that! I have been looking all over for shops that can do the flash updates. Is there anything like Hondata, where they replace the ECU and you can plug into it with a laptop? I had originally drove from Sacramento to Torrance, CA (near los angeles) to get the hondata #4 map before they had their own ECU which I got when I had a turbo installed.

I live in Sacramento so hopefully I won't have to drive far like I did with my RSX-s.
      03-30-2020, 01:07 PM   #5
davidr3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i

If you go BM3 or MHD you can flash the car to any tune from home. Also won't stack with your dinan piggyback but yeah. Sacramento to Torrance though man, damn that's a drive.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 01:15 PM   #6
gertpacu
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh_f30 View Post
I agree. By pretty much all accounts, intakes are almost purely for sound and aesthetics. The Dinan carbon one is a LOT of money for sound (that you don't really want) and pretty carbon fiber (that no one will see unless you open your hood).

Even a catted DP will make your car a bit louder, but if you keep everything aft of that stock (midpipe & muffler), it shouldn't be dramatically louder.

Thank you.. I need to keep reading up on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidr3 View Post
If you go BM3 or MHD you can flash the car to any tune from home. Also won't stack with your dinan piggyback but yeah. Sacramento to Torrance though man, damn that's a drive.
Thanks for that. Yah, back in 2003-2004 that was the closest place to flash my car. Took all of 10 minutes then I drove home for 6 hours. The ECU installation took longer. So these aren't just flashed, we have control of the flash and we can change maps? There was like one map way back then and we had to get reflashed at the shop in Torrance lol.
      03-30-2020, 01:17 PM   #7
alohasurftoad
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gertpacu View Post
Thanks for that! I have been looking all over for shops that can do the flash updates. Is there anything like Hondata, where they replace the ECU and you can plug into it with a laptop? I had originally drove from Sacramento to Torrance, CA (near los angeles) to get the hondata #4 map before they had their own ECU which I got when I had a turbo installed.

I live in Sacramento so hopefully I won't have to drive far like I did with my RSX-s.
you just buy the license and DIY through the OBD-2 port via laptop or mobile app. OTS(off the shelf) and custom tunes. totally customizable. both have excellent support. it's the best bang for you buck mod, you'll do.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 01:18 PM   #8
alohasurftoad
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Thank you.. I need to keep reading up on this. Can I use the dinan sport with a flash or is that still a no go?
you won't need nor want dinan sport with a flash tune.

you also need to post and get info in this sub-forum...https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=421
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 01:25 PM   #9
jh_f30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sportline Auto RWD

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jh_f30 View Post

Thank you.. I need to keep reading up on this.

Can I use the dinan sport with a flash or is that still a no go?
I'm not familiar with the Dinan Sport Tuner so I can't speak to compatibility. Not even sure it's be needed with a flash tune. You could try reaching out to Dinan and/or whichever tuner you go with.
      03-30-2020, 02:03 PM   #10
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428i Gran Coupe

Modding an exhaust system( from cat to muffler) to be quite is one interesting topic

Stock is pretty much a quite system... it so cheap $0 and you don't need to get your hands dirty.

Just add any tune .... still quite
Appreciate 1
nbay8970.00