E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 325xi Diagnostic code help

03-30-2020, 12:52 AM   #1
KnockingDiesel
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325xi

Solved

Hello all,

I have a 2006 325xi manual that's been awesome to own for the short time I've had it. Earlier while driving I decided to try and engage cruise control, I couldn't get it to engage, I assumed that it was me being unfamiliar with it. So later today I watched a video and it seemed straight forward so went for a ride to try it again and nothing. It was then I noticed on the odometer screen, in the upper right hand corner, a tiny triangle with exclamation point in it. So I plugged in my scan tool and pulled the codes. No other error warnings are present.

I did some research and found it could be the speed/abs sensor or abs pump, so while driving with my scanner I went through the live data menu and all four sensor are registering. So I ran an abs pump test and it passed.

In my research I found that almost everyone had other abs/DTS warning in the screen above the odometer screen and various other cluster lights illuminated. I was able to test all the cluster functions including the cruise control indicator and all were properly functioning.

I googled the codes individually and searched various bmw forums but not much other than suggest checking abs sensors and pump. I don't care for cruise control but it bothers me knowing that there is a nonfunctional system in my vehicle.

The codes are as follows:

CDAD-Message (request, wheel torque. Drivetrain, 0xFB) faulty receiver DME, transmitter DSC/LDM

D382-No message LDM (0xD5) receiver DSC. Transmitter LDM

A6CF-JBE:AUC sensor ( I believe this is the air quality sensor in the Hvac filter area, so maybe unrelated?)

The codes below are also present and after research there is a warning for these on the screen above the odometer, only during start up. All lights and indicators are functional.

9CBD-left step motor

9CBE-right step motor

930D-FRM side marker light, right faulty.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you.
      03-30-2020, 03:39 AM   #2
KnockingDiesel
Private
United_States
Rep

Been doing some more research and my car was optioned with cruise control (S544)
      03-30-2020, 11:48 AM   #3
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

All US cars have cruise control standard.
The error you about left and right sound like adaptive
headlight errors. (Headlights that move right and left with the steering
wheel angle)
Clear the errors and rescan.
These are not error's that would cause your car to become
inoperative.

To find out what options you have run your VIN through
Mdecoder.com

A non BMW scanner will not cover all bases on this car .
What kind of scanner do you have?

Bimmergeeks.net cable and downloads are recommended.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 07:43 PM   #4
KnockingDiesel
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
All US cars have cruise control standard.
The error you about left and right sound like adaptive
headlight errors. (Headlights that move right and left with the steering
wheel angle)
Clear the errors and rescan.
These are not error's that would cause your car to become
inoperative.

To find out what options you have run your VIN through
Mdecoder.com

A non BMW scanner will not cover all bases on this car .
What kind of scanner do you have?

Bimmergeeks.net cable and downloads are recommended.
I have access to a BMW specific scanner, not sure the brand as it's not mine. Codes were cleared several times and no difference.

I have decoded and printed the options added to this vehicle, as it progresses I'm learning how different this is from other cars.

I noticed I had automatic wipers but they were not functioning either. Looked up the rain sensor location and found it was missing. Not entirely sure why since OEM windshield is installed. Also the sensor below it is missing, fog sensor from what I gather.

Not sure it has anything to with any of it but Like I said it bothers me to have nonfunctional systems. I don't care having to make the repairs, I'm attached to the car already, so now it's just patience in figuring it out. I've ordered the missing sensors already.

I'll update this as I go, thanks.
      03-30-2020, 07:57 PM   #5
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi Touring

CDAD-Message (request, wheel torque. Drivetrain, 0xFB) faulty receiver DME, transmitter DSC/LDM

those errors seem to indicate that the DSC is having troubles communicating with other things.
the strange thing is that if you've got 544 cruise control and not active cruise you shouldn't even have an LDM, of course yours is an 06, so maybe?

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...ration/1z9RwoZ

regardless, the DSC/LDM errors are probably why your cruise doesn't work. That's where I'd start in my troubleshooting.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 11:51 AM   #6
KnockingDiesel
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsjames View Post

those errors seem to indicate that the DSC is having troubles communicating with other things.
the strange thing is that if you've got 544 cruise control and not active cruise you shouldn't even have an LDM, of course yours is an 06, so maybe?

regardless, the DSC/LDM errors are probably why your cruise doesn't work. That's where I'd start in my troubleshooting.
I will check if it does have the LDM, that was a bit confusing, since I read that only ACC came with LDM. Perhaps a previous owner attempting a retrofit. I am waiting for parts to arrive and will update as things progress.

My car's build date 2/28/2006 Munich factory not sure if that matters
      04-07-2020, 02:48 AM   #7
KnockingDiesel
Private
United_States
Rep

So I was incorrect 544 DCC does have an LDM

https://www.e90post.com/forums/attac...8;d=1488745388

Came across this and printed it.

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134949

Stumbled across this also had similar issues.
      04-07-2020, 06:42 AM   #8
Bavarian Tech
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2006 330i  [10.00]
Your first two DSC faults, I would consider "erroneous" as their just a no message so these two modules were talking having a conversation and then one module got up and walk away for a brief moment only to return back to the conversation. If that makes sense, I would clear them and the remaining faults are stored for your left n right stepper motors for the adaptive headlights and i would assume one of your angle eyes is also burnt out as well .
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 11:58 AM   #9
KnockingDiesel
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavarian Tech View Post
Your first two DSC faults, I would consider "erroneous" as their just a no message so these two modules were talking having a conversation and then one module got up and walk away for a brief moment only to return back to the conversation. If that makes sense, I would clear them and the remaining faults are stored for your left n right stepper motors for the adaptive headlights and i would assume one of your angle eyes is also burnt out as well .
All have been cleared several times but instantly return. Headlights will need to be replace regardless since they're pitted and fading.

Cruise control still isn't working, I've confirmed the speed indicator in the cluster and selector is working.

Someone mentioned vanos solenoids could be an issue with CC so I'll pull them today to clean and test them. Although I'd think there'd be a code for that.
      04-08-2020, 08:36 AM   #10
Bavarian Tech
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2006 330i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnockingDiesel View Post
All have been cleared several times but instantly return. Headlights will need to be replace regardless since they're pitted and fading.

Cruise control still isn't working, I've confirmed the speed indicator in the cluster and selector is working.

Someone mentioned vanos solenoids could be an issue with CC so I'll pull them today to clean and test them. Although I'd think there'd be a code for that.
Are those all the faults in the vehicle ? Is the cruise the only thing that doesnt work ? Any other lights on the dash otherwise
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 09:51 AM   #11
matteblue3er
Captain
Rep
Drives: Racecar

Quote:

LDM IS the cruise control module for early E9x builds. Later models (post 09/06) had cruise control integrated within the DSC module

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...ction2/XZvTnm0

Start with fuses
Appreciate 1
      04-08-2020, 10:38 AM   #12
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi Touring

good to know.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 11:53 AM   #13
KnockingDiesel
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by matteblue3er View Post
Quote:

LDM IS the cruise control module for early E9x builds. Later models (post 09/06) had cruise control integrated within the DSC module

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...ction2/XZvTnm0

Start with fuses
Fuses checked and all are good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavarian Tech View Post
Quote:

Are those all the faults in the vehicle ? Is the cruise the only thing that doesnt work ? Any other lights on the dash otherwise
The only indicator on is the triangle/exclamation point.
Attached Images

04-17-2020, 03:20 PM   #14
KnockingDiesel
Private
United_States
Rep

So 930D was a burnt light bulb in the head light that is barely visible, I was testing all lights and turned off DTRL in the BC menu and went through every light function. It was the light bulb at the the 2 o clock of the high beam bulb.

So the triangle with exclamation point is gone, all lights are functioning, I installed the fog and rain sensors using clear RTV and they are functioning.

Cruise control is still not working. No lights on the dash so that's cool but still bummed about the CC not working.
Attached Images

05-02-2020, 11:14 AM   #15
KnockingDiesel
Private
United_States
Rep

So I figured it out, after pulling every fuse and checking it, I began looking for missing fuses. You can see where there are terminals in the fuse block and where there aren't. Once I found the spots missing fuses I looked at the fuse diagram and installed the corresponding fuse. Thanks to an image I found on the M5 board I was able to decipher the fuse diagram icons.

Fuse 22 10a

Fuse 49 30a
      05-02-2020, 11:16 AM   #16
KnockingDiesel
Private
United_States
Rep

Thank you to all who posted, everyone get a high five!

My car is........ wait for it........... Code free and completely sorted!

For now😎
      05-02-2020, 01:09 PM   #17
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
... 2006 325xi manual... try and engage cruise control, I couldn't get it to engage... The codes are as follows:
Quote:
So I figured it out...Thanks to an image I found on the M5 board I was able to decipher the fuse diagram icons.
Fuse 22 10a
Fuse 49 30a
Sorry to NOT see this thread until today (when you posted your solution ;-) However, there are some diagnostic lessons that can be learned from this case in which it apparently took over a MONTH to find the cause of the issue, and the fix was simply installing a proper fuse (at last as far as the Cruise Control ;-).

I would suggest learning how to use TIS Online Service Manual, and Bentley Manual, BOTH of which are free, online, see links in attached pdf, E9x References. The TWO codes identified above BOTH relate to an issue with signal transmission from the LDM, as received/NOT received by the DME or DSC respectively.

Your quote of the DEFINITION of "CDAD" is NOT correct, as the "receiving Module (DME) is NOT faulty, but rather the "FAULT" is lack of receipt of proper signal from the "transmitter" module (LDM) in EACH instance (CDAD & D382). When ONE module has a fault code saved in its memory that indicates lack of proper signal from ANOTHER Module, the fault almost always is associated with the "Transmitter"/Sending Module.

ANY time there is a fault associated with a module, the FIRST thing to check is power supply to that module. The module CANNOT send a signal WITHOUT being powered. In this case, if you go to the TIS circuit for the LDM Module in the 2006 325xi, you find this "Power Supply for longitudinal dynamics management (LDM):
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...nt-ldm/ehJTo63

Fuse F22 provides power to the LDM (10 Amp fuse). So that is the FIRST thing to check: quick, cheap & easy.

As far as fuse chart for your vehicle, there SHOULD be a "tri-fold" fuse chart attached to the removable panel in the "Rear" (as viewed from passenger seat, ACTUALLY "vehicle Front") of the glovebox, but that is cursory at best. Bentley has the best fuse chart I know of. I'll attach the two jpg pages to the next post so as NOT to mess up the margins of this post. THAT fuse chart is ONLY related to 2006 & EARLY 2007 E9x models, built BEFORE 3/1/2007, as the Junction Box (JB) fusebox LAYOUT was CHANGED effective 3/1/2007, and fuse NUMBERING was changed effective 9/2007 for 2008 & LATER models.

As you will see from that Bentley Fuse Chart, F49 is a 30A fuse that powers Passenger Seat Heating: UNRELATED to any reported fault. Here is the TIS circuit for F49 on the 2006 model:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...9-fuse/oXFS95o

I'm glad you found the cause of the issue. Hopefully we can ALL learn something about how to properly diagnose the CAUSE in the future.

George
Attached Images
File Type: pdf E9x References.pdf (218.0 KB, 47 views)

Last edited by gbalthrop; 05-02-2020 at 01:25 PM..
Appreciate 1
      05-02-2020, 01:14 PM   #18
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

Bentley Fuse Chart for 2006 Models & Early (<3/1/2007) Models

Two pages (jpg) from Bentley Manual per prior post.

George
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      05-02-2020, 07:49 PM   #19
KnockingDiesel
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
Quote:
... 2006 325xi manual... try and engage cruise control, I couldn't get it to engage... The codes are as follows:
Quote:
So I figured it out...Thanks to an image I found on the M5 board I was able to decipher the fuse diagram icons.
Fuse 22 10a
Fuse 49 30a
Sorry to NOT see this thread until today (when you posted your solution ;-) However, there are some diagnostic lessons that can be learned from this case in which it apparently took over a MONTH to find the cause of the issue, and the fix was simply installing a proper fuse (at last as far as the Cruise Control ;-).

I would suggest learning how to use TIS Online Service Manual, and Bentley Manual, BOTH of which are free, online, see links in attached pdf, E9x References. The TWO codes identified above BOTH relate to an issue with signal transmission from the LDM, as received/NOT received by the DME or DSC respectively.

Your quote of the DEFINITION of "CDAD" is NOT correct, as the "receiving Module (DME) is NOT faulty, but rather the "FAULT" is lack of receipt of proper signal from the "transmitter" module (LDM) in EACH instance (CDAD & D382). When ONE module has a fault code saved in its memory that indicates lack of proper signal from ANOTHER Module, the fault almost always is associated with the "Transmitter"/Sending Module.

ANY time there is a fault associated with a module, the FIRST thing to check is power supply to that module. The module CANNOT send a signal WITHOUT being powered. In this case, if you go to the TIS circuit for the LDM Module in the 2006 325xi, you find this "Power Supply for longitudinal dynamics management (LDM):
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...nt-ldm/ehJTo63

Fuse F22 provides power to the LDM (10 Amp fuse). So that is the FIRST thing to check: quick, cheap & easy.

As far as fuse chart for your vehicle, there SHOULD be a "tri-fold" fuse chart attached to the removable panel in the "Rear" (as viewed from passenger seat, ACTUALLY "vehicle Front") of the glovebox, but that is cursory at best. Bentley has the best fuse chart I know of. I'll attach the two jpg pages to the next post so as NOT to mess up the margins of this post. THAT fuse chart is ONLY related to 2006 & EARLY 2007 E9x models, built BEFORE 3/1/2007, as the Junction Box (JB) fusebox LAYOUT was CHANGED effective 3/1/2007, and fuse NUMBERING was changed effective 9/2007 for 2008 & LATER models.

As you will see from that Bentley Fuse Chart, F49 is a 30A fuse that powers Passenger Seat Heating: UNRELATED to any reported fault. Here is the TIS circuit for F49 on the 2006 model:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...9-fuse/oXFS95o

I'm glad you found the cause of the issue. Hopefully we can ALL learn something about how to properly diagnose the CAUSE in the future.

George
I am new to BMW and was unaware of the resources you'd mentioned. I do not have the fuse diagram and have been working form pictures of other diagrams.

After I posted this I went to get groceries and the Coolant Pump failed, can't help but wonder if I blew a fuse pulling them and reinstalling them.

Thanks!
      05-03-2020, 12:55 AM   #20
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
... After I posted this I went to get groceries and the Coolant Pump failed, can't help but wonder if I blew a fuse pulling them and reinstalling them...
Excellent time to learn more about TIS circuit diagrams.

Here is the "Cooling System" wiring diagram for your 2006 325xi:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...mostat/i7SHdY5

In that Schematic, the Coolant Pump is M6035 in the Right Side of the diagram. NOTE that there are TWO fuses involved, BOTH in the E-box. F02 powers the Pump Control Circuit & the Thermostat. F09 provides the primary power to the Coolant Pump. If EITHER fuse or circuit has a fault, the pump does NOT run when it should, or does NOT run at all. Here is the TIS Installation Location for those two fuses in the E-box:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...xi-lim/SNEe0ZE

I presume you know about the "Bleed Procedure" to get the Pump to run for up to 12 minutes. Of course you can use the procedure just to test the circuit for a few seconds. Here is the TIS Procedure. It is also described in Bentley.
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...check/CNCeB76L

OMIT ALL the Vacuum Filling Unit description and just go to LAST PAGE and do the steps numbered 1 - 10.

If NEITHER fuse is blown, or there are other issues, let us know the Make & Model of any Scan Tool or Diagnostic Software you have available (INPA or ISTA?). Basic P-code reader Scan Tools are good for MOST things related to the Engine/DME, BUT cannot read any of the 5 Coolant Pump Hex-codes, 2E81 - 2E85, NONE of which have a P-code equivalent.

George
Appreciate 1
      05-03-2020, 01:48 AM   #21
KnockingDiesel
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
Quote:
... After I posted this I went to get groceries and the Coolant Pump failed, can't help but wonder if I blew a fuse pulling them and reinstalling them...
Excellent time to learn more about TIS circuit diagrams.

Here is the "Cooling System" wiring diagram for your 2006 325xi:

In that Schematic, the Coolant Pump is M6035 in the Right Side of the diagram. NOTE that there are TWO fuses involved, BOTH in the E-box. F02 powers the Pump Control Circuit & the Thermostat. F09 provides the primary power to the Coolant Pump. If EITHER fuse or circuit has a fault, the pump does NOT run when it should, or does NOT run at all. Here is the TIS Installation Location for those two fuses in the E-box:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...xi-lim/SNEe0ZE

I presume you know about the "Bleed Procedure" to get the Pump to run for up to 12 minutes. Of course you can use the procedure just to test the circuit for a few seconds. Here is the TIS Procedure. It is also described in Bentley.
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...check/CNCeB76L

OMIT ALL the Vacuum Filling Unit description and just go to LAST PAGE and do the steps numbered 1 - 10.

If NEITHER fuse is blown, or there are other issues, let us know the Make & Model of any Scan Tool or Diagnostic Software you have available (INPA or ISTA?). Basic P-code reader Scan Tools are good for MOST things related to the Engine/DME, BUT cannot read any of the 5 Coolant Pump Hex-codes, 2E81 - 2E85, NONE of which have a P-code equivalent.

George
I have a Foxwell NT530 with BMW add-on,

2E81 Electric cooling pump speed deviation

^This one popped up a week ago after a 200 mile drive, No warning light, I only noticed because I scanned the car trying to find the CC issue.

2E84 BSD message electric coolant pump missing.

I have come across the bleed procedure but was under the impression that I'd have to let it run it's course, 12 min or so. How would one abort the process?

I will review the helpful information you've provided and attempt to understand it. I'm by no means new to this sort of work but it seems every manufacturer has they're own way of doing things.

Again, a thousand thanks for the links and advice.
      05-03-2020, 12:58 PM   #22
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I have a Foxwell NT530 with BMW add-on... 2E81 Electric cooling pump speed deviation
^This one popped up a week ago after a 200 mile drive, No warning light, I only noticed because I scanned the car trying to find the CC issue. [AFAIK, NONE of the Five Pump Codes: 2E81 - 2E85 cause any warning light. Only Light you will get is OVERHEAT if that occurs. INPA tells you if fault would cause warning lamp to light ("Fehler wuerde das Aufleuchten der Warnlampe (MIL) verursachen"); don't know if your Foxwell does that or NOT (Fault Details)]
2E84 BSD message electric coolant pump missing. [THAT code (and perhaps resulting Speed Deviation) can be caused by a BSD bus fault. See BSD Bus discussion below]

I have come across the bleed procedure but was under the impression that I'd have to let it run it's course, 12 min or so. How would one abort the process? [Just press STOP/ turn off ignition? ]

I will review the helpful information you've provided and attempt to understand it. I'm by no means new to this sort of work but it seems every manufacturer has they're own way of doing things...
You sound like you are one of the few people who ACTUALLY wants to understand HOW the various systems in his vehicle are designed & WORK. If so, you are in luck, 'cuz TIS (newTIS) and Bentley contain MOST of the things you need to know to be able to do BOTH: Understand & Diagnose. If you add INPA to your tool kit, and have/take the time to use ALL those resources properly, you can properly Diagnose MOST issues you have/will have.

I haven't used any model of Foxwell Scan Tool. Can it do "Activations"? INPA will allow you to do Activations of components attached to various Modules by sending an input to the Module to cause a motor, solenoid, light, etc. to become "Active", ALL through your Laptop connection to the OBD II socket, WITHOUT disconnecting or "hot-wiring" anything. The same screen, at which you select the "Activation" speed, also provides Live Data of Actual Speed and Temp Sensor data.

INPA can Activate the Coolant Pump (as well as E-fan & Thermostat in separate "Activation" screens) to cause the pump to run at 5%, 50% or 95% of max speed. The screen shows you the ACTUAL speed (% of max) of the pump, and if you select one of the Activation speeds, the "Speed Deviation" is the difference between "Set-speed" or Requested Speed, and ACTUAL speed. I'll attach several example screens to the next post so as NOT to mess up margins in this post.

Pump "Speed Deviation" appears to be the BEST method of predicting pump demise, although no one has established a specific deviation that is a reliable indicator of WHEN the pump will become inoperative, and there are MULTIPLE failure modes, some electrical, and some mechanical from "anecdotal" reports on the Forums. In your case, the FIRST step is to see if you can get it to run at all.

As shown in this "Cooling System" wiring diagram (same as linked in prior post), the pump speed is controlled via the BSD (Bit Serial Data) Bus. Note the Violet wire from Pin #26 of Connector X60007 at the DME to Pin #3 of Connector X6035 at the Pump:

Here is the TIS "BSD Interface" circuit. Note that there are THREE components which are communicating with & controlled by the DME via the Violet wires of the BSD Bus: Coolant Pump, Alternator & OZS (Oil Condition Sensor), AND the IBS (Intelligent Battery Sensor is also on the BSD Bus:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...rnator/oYPEvM2

So particularly if you have any OTHER fault code related to one of the other components connected to the BSD, you need to make sure all connectors & wiring associated with the Bus are intact.

At this point, based upon the information you have provided, I would do the following:
1) See if Foxwell provides ANY pump speed readout, OR ability to Activate the Pump (either one).
2) Use whatever means: a) Foxwell readout or b) Bleed Procedure pump activation (with ignition ON, Engine OFF, press Accelerator to floor for 10 seconds and listen for "gurgling" in the Coolant lines or pump whir) to determine if pump runs at all.
3) If NO pump operation at all, check F02 & F09; test fuses electrically for continuity between spades, and check for voltage at fuse sockets.
4) Post ALL Fault Codes read in DME. If Foxwell provides Freeze Frame Data (snapshot of system conditions & mileage at moment Fault Code Saved), or Fault Details, please provide those as well.

There is an SIB on Coolant Pump System testing, so let us know what you find doing the above, and if more testing is required, I will provide the text of that SIB.

George
Appreciate 0