E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > The Daily Beater Build Log: 2006 330XI

03-15-2020, 09:32 PM   #1
Nickco43
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 BMW M3

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
The Daily Beater Build Log: 2006 330XI

I bought another E90 off one of my good customers in Massachusetts. The car already had a bit of "Nickco43" in it with a full front and rear LCI conversion, ACC retrofit, auto high beam retrofit, NBT Evo + ATM retrofit, power sun shade, etc. Unfortunately the NBT Evo is going into the PO's new F30.

The car needs a new front and rear bumper, interior trim clean up, new tires, full drive line fluid service, new steering rack, oil pan gasket, disa valves, valve cover gasket, OFHG and a few other odds and ends.

Seeing the car for the first time

It was about a five hour drive home from Boston. The NBT EVO maps were nice to have.

Back home with my black car.

Ripping out the NBT Evo.

Part of the deal was that I got his CIC + Combox retrofit back which I sold to him as a kit over a year ago.

CIC up and running.

I replaced all six coil packs. There is oil in some of the spark plug holes.

Day two and I took a trip to pick and pull. The yard was absolutely packed but I got a bunch of little bits for the interior. I will detail the car once all of the work is done. Everything was $70.

I got a LCI glovebox for the glovebox USB port.

This is a remote start box that I am mailing back to the PO.

The car is on my new jack stands ready for the mechanical work.

Transfer case and transmission fluid are dirty but not burnt at 137k. This was my biggest worry and I lucked out.

X Drive cars are a pain. I had to remove the front drive shaft to get to the fill plug. You have to remove the transfer case mount with is blocked by the exhaust to get the transfer case fill plug. I gave up getting to the fill plug and turned in for the night.

Tomorrow I hope to finish the transmission fluid and transfer case fluid and I might start on dropping the sub frame.
Appreciate 3
Silnismo225.50
tlow982188.00
      03-15-2020, 11:31 PM   #2
tlow98
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91, 2014 F15 x35i

Hey nice pick up.

One tip on the x-drive cars is the to cut a 14mm Allen key to about 1 inch long. Then use a 14mm gear wrench to get at the x-drive fill and drain plugs without removing anything. I think the same applies for the trains fill. Maybe, my memory is foggy.

It's a bit of a fiddly, tight process, but only took 10 minutes in the end and saved a bunch of dismantling.

Last edited by tlow98; 03-16-2020 at 12:06 AM..
Appreciate 0