E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Brakes squeal in reverse

03-08-2020, 12:14 PM   #1
AamirAtl
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90

Brakes squeal in reverse

2008 E90 328i with under 70K miles. I hear a loud squeal when gently pressing the brake pedal as I go in reverse. This only occurs in the mornings, meaning at cold start. This does not happen if I've driven for a while, let's say going to a store and then going in reverse out of a parking spot.

The brake pads have plenty of life left, I don't drive on dirt or gravel roads and there is no snow or salt to deteriorate any parts. No iDrive so no info about the brake system. No messages in Check Control either.

What can I check, repair, replace to resolve this loud squealing noise?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2020, 09:11 PM   #2
e90yyc
Art Collector
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi (GM-delete 6MT)

Brake squeal seems to be a common issue on BMW’s in general... My 340 was actually worse than my E90 in this area, despite being ten years newer. (As in you’d think they’d have figured it out...)

It’s such a common problem that TSB’s have been issued (for many/all of their models, I’m sure) to help dealerships resolve complaints about this. The fixes they suggest are to apply anti-squeal paste to the backside of the brake pads, clean the brake pads and discs, and to “bed” the pads in. I’d probably start by using anti-squeal compound and see if that helps. I’m skeptical of bedding and cleaning the brakes; these seem to provide only temporary relief from the noise.

If the anti-squeal compound doesn’t help, your best bet would be to use a different pad next time you do your brakes. Perhaps there are other fixes out there, but I’ve just learned to live with the noise. Thankfully it’s only an issue for you in reverse
      03-09-2020, 07:54 AM   #3
Wolf 335
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AamirAtl View Post
2008 E90 328i with under 70K miles. I hear a loud squeal when gently pressing the brake pedal as I go in reverse. This only occurs in the mornings, meaning at cold start. This does not happen if I've driven for a while, let's say going to a store and then going in reverse out of a parking spot.

The brake pads have plenty of life left, I don't drive on dirt or gravel roads and there is no snow or salt to deteriorate any parts. No iDrive so no info about the brake system. No messages in Check Control either.

What can I check, repair, replace to resolve this loud squealing noise?
Having an exact same issue after installing new pads. Haven't had a chance to do a bed-in procedure as it's been cold out. Now that it is warming up, i am hopping that bedding the brakes will get rid of this.

Update: it was a seized rear passenger caliper.

Last edited by Wolf 335; 06-22-2020 at 07:50 AM..
Appreciate 0